IXUS190 porting attempt - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

IXUS190 porting attempt

• 97 Replies
Re: IXUS190 porting attempt
« Reply #20 on: 01 / June / 2017, 11:06:52 »
Advertisements
Many people have made ports just by copy/pasting and updating the platform code.
This way is not for me definitely. I used to work while understanding what I'm doing.
Updating the platform code mostly means the .c files, including inline asm (codegen files for non digic 6 cameras), #defines in the include files, variables in the platform makefile.inc files, and any stubs not found by the sig finder.
But where is an up-to-date list of the exact lines in the exact files - to modify?

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to proceed until I have a clearest understanding of why exactly
CHDK is built in such a way that the start of the file contains the code from entry.S
Because I can't proceed - I simply don't know how.

I have no idea of what to do next. I'm feeling like an asshole already. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_support_for_a_new_camera looks humiliating.

So weird it all.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 01 / June / 2017, 13:51:47 »
But where is an up-to-date list of the exact lines in the exact files - to modify?
There is no such list. Pretty much every file in the platform directory needs some adjustment.

If you want to understand the code, you have to actually go through the code, file by file. When you run into something you don't understand, grep the code to see how it is used, compare a few different ports to see how the differ, consult the relevant arm / gcc / binutils manuals, ask here.

That's how all the rest of us learned.
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to proceed until I have a clearest understanding of why exactly
That's your choice. Personally, I find that documentation is good for learning the big picture and finding starting points, but real understanding only comes from working on the code.

CHDK is built in such a way that the start of the file contains the code from entry.S
Because I can't proceed - I simply don't know how.
I don't understand why this is such a stumbling block. As I explained in my previous post, it's already set up in the makefiles and doesn't need to be changed per port, so you can just take it as a given. If for whatever reason you want to know all the details, trace through the makefiles and look everything up in the binutils manuals.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #22 on: 02 / June / 2017, 14:26:35 »
I noticed that this camera shoots photos with some geometrical distortion kind of "fisheye"-alike. I wonder if CHDK might help with this. Otherwise I'm considering to return the camera back to the store.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 02 / June / 2017, 21:28:24 »
I noticed that this camera shoots photos with some geometrical distortion kind of "fisheye"-alike. I wonder if CHDK might help with this. Otherwise I'm considering to return the camera back to the store.
CHDK won't fix distortion in camera jpegs. Using CHDK raw would allow you to apply distortion correction in a raw processing program, with less loss of quality than you'd get correcting it jpeg.

I doubt you'll find a P&S with a 24 mm equivalent lens that doesn't look distorted in some way.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #24 on: 05 / June / 2017, 07:51:02 »
I doubt you'll find a P&S with a 24 mm equivalent lens that doesn't look distorted in some way.
I wonder where does such distortion originally come from. Is the RAW image gets shot already distorted (because the lens is round and the matrix is plain)?

I had previously a cheap camera bought 10 years ago. It produced excellent photos - no visual fisheye distortion, nice sharpness and color, etc. But I occasionally broke it. Interesting why this old camera had no distortion, but IXUS190 does. The old camera probably had some common-sized matrix - nothing special.

IXUS190 porting attempt
« Reply #25 on: 05 / June / 2017, 08:27:10 »
I wonder where does such distortion originally come from?
Point & shoot cameras have simple very inexpensive optical zoom lenses.  Making such a lens without any distortion at wide angles is next to impossible.  Maybe if you pay thousands of dollars for a DSLR lens you get very little distortion, but not with a $200 P&S camera.

It's much cheaper for the manufacturer to try to correct any distortion via software after the shot.

I had previously a cheap camera bought 10 years ago. It produced excellent photos - no visual fisheye distortion, nice sharpness and color, etc. But I occasionally broke it. Interesting why this old camera had no distortion, but IXUS190 does. The old camera probably had some common-sized matrix - nothing special.
The old camera likely had a much smaller zoom range and possibly a more limited wide angle position. That would make it possible to design with less distortion, and easier to correct in software.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #26 on: 03 / May / 2020, 11:28:04 »
Hello, I know this is a really old post but im taking my chances here. I just got an ixus190 for taking pictures while on the road. Is there a development for a port to this camera? I have been looking in the forum but no luck.
I have "something" for that camera but only for the firmware version 100d.
The port is completely untested, I don't know if it works or not, I didn't really waste too much time on it.
If your camera has 100d firmware, you can try the test version that came with this post. If you have another firmware version, do not try to use this test version of CHDK.

EDIT: obsolete source code and test build removed
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2021, 12:38:34 by blackhole »

« Reply #27 on: 03 / May / 2020, 23:21:15 »
Hello, thanks I now have that chdk on my ixus190. I can't seem to find Av on the "Enahanced photo Operations" how do I enable it?

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #28 on: 04 / May / 2020, 02:57:49 »
Hello, thanks I now have that chdk on my ixus190. I can't seem to find Av on the "Enahanced photo Operations" how do I enable it?
Your camera does not have an iris diaphragm, instead it uses an ND filter, so it is not possible to use Av override on that camera.

Can you go through these tests and submit a report here?
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Testing

« Reply #29 on: 04 / May / 2020, 04:46:03 »
Ohw ok understood, thanks again. I'll see what I can do