SX10is - "error: missing modules" - SOLVED - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX10is - "error: missing modules" - SOLVED

• 3 Replies

Offline I2k4

SX10is - "error: missing modules" - SOLVED
« on: 14 / July / 2017, 23:14:32 »
Advertisements
I"ve been a non-technical "end user" for almost a decade.  After learning at DPReview that CHDK has been completed for my Ixus 300, I went about installing CHDK 1.4.1 on it, and then on an S5is, and an SX10is - all using the "firmware update" method of formatting 4gb SD cards with FAT16, copying the contents of the right CHDK - full zip, and using the camera firmware update and CHDK internal process to make the card bootable.   All three installs worked fine except that the SX10is booted showing an "error: missing modules" flag in red.  I navigated the CHDK Menu and everything seemed to work fine, but the red error message remained after several efforts to reformat and reinstall CHDK 1.4.1 - something that has never happened on earlier CHDK versions. 

I found one topic in this forum suggesting the message flags an error in the Modules folder that should be causing some functionality problems.  So I compared the contents of the Modules folder in CHDK 1.4.1 side by side with the old problem-free version of CHDK 1.3.0 that I had been using.  All the "*.flt" files in the old version are in the new one - there are some additional "*.flt" files in CHDK 1.4.1 not found in the older version.  However, CHDK 1.3.0 for the SX10is has an empty folder labeled "CFG" and 1.4.1 does not have it (i.e. file manager set to show hidden files, there is nothing in there).

I copied the CHDK 1.3.0 CFG folder into the CHDK 1.4.1 Modules folder and voila, CHDK booted up without the "error: missing modules" message, and CHDK is working normally as it has for years on that camera.  Out of curiosity, I checked the S5is and Ixus 300 cards and the Modules folder did not have any CFG folder, but they work fine. 

So, strangely enough, the problem is solved for me, but I'm posting it here as an issue since other SX10is owners may be affected.  I can only suggest analysing the need for the empty CFG folder for SX10is, or be sure it's included in the current and future CHDK builds for that model.

Looking forward to the improvements in CHDK 1.4.1 and grateful for the ongoing project.

« Last Edit: 16 / July / 2017, 12:30:55 by I2k4 »
Appreciative end-user for several years:  S5is, SX10is, and SD4000is.

Offline reyalp

Thanks for reporting. This is quite strange.

The "missing modules" check just looks for CHDK/MODULES/FSELECT.FLT (the file browser module) at startup, and displays the message if it can't be accessed. This is done so people will immediately see an error message if they didn't copy the modules to the card.

The MODULES/CFG folder is only used by sokoban, and should be automatically created at startup if it isn't present, so it really shouldn't be directly involved.

The "missing modules" error can be triggered if there is an SD card or filesystem error. We have seen some cases where particular cards have initialization issues in certain cameras, so it's possible an SD error could happen around startup while the camera works normally afterward.

Some questions:
* Can you confirm if you tried re-formatting and reinstalling the card, and got the same result?
* Now that the card is working with the MODULES/CFG folder present, does deleting it make the error re-appear?
* Have you tried a different card?
* When you see the error, can you still use the file browser?
* What brand / size is the card?

If it happens repeatably with more than one card, it would definitely be good to investigate further.
« Last Edit: 15 / July / 2017, 01:11:16 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline I2k4

Re: SX10is - "error: missing modules"
« Reply #2 on: 15 / July / 2017, 06:27:38 »
Thanks for the quick reply, in answer:

- I did try several times with the same error.  I had formatted FAT16 with Gparted on Linux Mint so thought that might be a problem, even though other cameras had installed right.  I tried a couple of times again with Win 7 and still got the error message.  Then, after reading the old forum post here, I found the CFG folder in 1.3.0 and pasted it straight into the card with CHDK 1.4.1, which seemed to fix it. 

- Well, it works fine now after deleting the CFG folder, it boots with no error message.  So much for that theory. For the record the three *.flt files that are not in 1.3.0 are - though they don't seem to be any problem:

eyefi.flt
histo.flt
shothist.flt

- I haven't tried a second card - this is an old PNY 4gb that doesn't even have a Class number on the label - I've always thoroughly tried out new CHDK versions on throwaways before wiping a good older one from good cards. 

UPDATE 170716 - Normal install on a second, better SD Card.  Problem solved, or rather No Problem.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 16 / July / 2017, 12:28:57 by I2k4 »
Appreciative end-user for several years:  S5is, SX10is, and SD4000is.

Offline reyalp

- I did try several times with the same error.
Thanks for confirming that.
- Well, it works fine now after deleting the CFG folder, it boots with no error message.  So much for that theory.
Did the CFG folder re-appear on the card?
For the record the three *.flt files that are not in 1.3.0 are - though they don't seem to be any problem:
Yeah, we put more stuff in modules for 1.4, so that's normal.

Definitely let us know if you see it on other cards. We have seen cases where certain combinations of cards and cameras have trouble, but not exactly like what you've described (e.g. https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12795.0)
Don't forget what the H stands for.