Most reliable held-power-button solution - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Most reliable held-power-button solution

• 6 Replies

Offline Sdack

Most reliable held-power-button solution
« on: 28 / October / 2017, 21:53:11 »
Advertisements
Hi folks,
I am trying to relocate an image I found weeks ago, while perusing a thread here, which showed a neat plastic clip with a threaded bolt which could be carefully arranged to hold the power button down.

If anyone can point me to the image or thread in question, or suggest other reliable solutions for holding the power button permanently, and preferably without damaging the function of the camera, I'd appreciate it.

I've seen a few posts referring to stuck buttons and odd behaviour after long periods with held buttons and I hope to avoid having to post one myself.
Cheers
Sdack

Re: Most reliable held-power-button solution
« Reply #1 on: 29 / October / 2017, 13:10:18 »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Sdack

« Reply #2 on: 29 / October / 2017, 16:00:22 »
Perfect, ta!
I really like the threaded screw part.
I guess threading plastic is a lot easier than metal.  Might be abl to do it with a metal bolt with the same thread as the plastic one, instead of buying a die.
Sdack

« Reply #3 on: 29 / October / 2017, 17:03:08 »
I really like the threaded screw part. I guess threading plastic is a lot easier than metal.  Might be able to do it with a metal bolt with the same thread as the plastic one, instead of buying a die.
I'd be tempted to fiddle with an elastic band and some sort of small shim.  Epoxy glue or use a double sided foam tape to attach a small machine screw bolt to the power button to raise it a bit and use the elastic band to hold it down.

Offline Sdack

« Reply #4 on: 29 / October / 2017, 19:53:06 »
While l adore the low-tec appeal, I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting elastic, especially with the wide temperature range we get here in Australia. 

The plastic clip element in the photo above looks like it might quite easily pop off, so I might see if I can figure out a more whole-camera-enclosing way to support the screw.

Will post pics when and if I manage to get it working
Sdack

« Reply #5 on: 30 / October / 2017, 09:42:29 »
While l adore the low-tec appeal, I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting elastic, especially with the wide temperature range we get here in Australia. The plastic clip element in the photo above looks like it might quite easily pop off, so I might see if I can figure out a more whole-camera-enclosing way to support the screw.

Offline Sdack

« Reply #6 on: 30 / October / 2017, 19:25:10 »
LOL,

I was thinking something a little more more robust..

« Last Edit: 30 / October / 2017, 19:54:50 by Sdack »