CHDK UI version 3.0 ? - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDK UI version 3.0 ?

• 35 Replies
Re: CHDK UI version 3.0 ?
« Reply #10 on: 11 / November / 2017, 17:17:36 »
Advertisements
I just defined the video button as gui button
I tend to use "on ALT" but I figured others might not like it coming up each time you enter ALT - even though doing so does not prevent you from doing normal things.

It would be very nice if you could adjust the position of this gui area in the layout editor. I do not know if that would be possible.
I thought about adding the ability to move it to the OSD editor.  Or even creating something more tailored to the GUI itself.  One more thing for the "to do" list.

Are you wanting to move it horizontally to center it in your wide display?  That's one the items on my to do list as well.

Btw, I got a compiler warning (gcc 4.9.3)
Thanks - missed that one.  Easy to fix.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #11 on: 11 / November / 2017, 17:57:44 »
I tend to use "on ALT" but I figured others might not like it coming up each time you enter ALT - even though doing so does not prevent you from doing normal things.
"on ALT" is the faster method. But sometimes an extra button is better. I like solutions where the user can decide for themselves.

Are you wanting to move it horizontally to center it in your wide display?  That's one the items on my to do list as well.
Yes, horizontally centered would be nice. I also would like to move the gui area over the Canon exposure values, so the suggestion with the layout editor.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 11 / November / 2017, 18:44:23 »
I just defined the video button as gui button
One thing I've been thinking about since the initial version: Do we even need to keep the old style alt mode?

It's definitely good to have for initial development, but I'd be interested to hear what others think about having the new GUI replace the existing alt mode.

The main things I see missing are

1) Running (rather than just selecting) script, which you mentioned already.
allow user to shoot in ALT mode (user configurable choice for the shutter button to either launch the current script or shoot while in <ALT> mode. Or decide base on cursor position- if on script, launch script. Otherwise shoot.)
I would argue for something that doesn't require setting a menu option.
Deciding based on cursor position might be a bit confusing, but should be quick/convenient once you understand it.
Another option would be to have separate cursor positions for "run" and "select" so for example pressing set when the name is highlighted runs the script, and there's a disk icon or something next to it to that brings up the selection dialog.

2) Existing alt mode shortcuts
* Raw, zerbra etc are handled by the new GUI, so IMO don't need shortcuts at all.
* The shooting related (mostly half press) shortcuts are probably valued by some users. If shooting is allowed in the GUI, then half press shortcuts would make sense (analogous to Canon AF and AE lock) and not conflict with Canon keys or the regular GUI. OTOH, half press shortcuts are pretty awkward on many of these cameras.
* One of my long term wishes has been to make shortcuts assignable. So you would have a list of actions (like "override focus to infinity") and rather than having a bunch of camera specific hard coded camera defaults, they would all start out unassigned and users could assign to based on what keys their camera actually has. Note I'm not suggesting you need to implement this, it could be a separate project for 1.6.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #13 on: 11 / November / 2017, 19:17:56 »
One thing I've been thinking about since the initial version: Do we even need to keep the old style alt mode?
That's a little bit funny.  When I started this, I just added the new stuff.  Then I realized people might not want to see it when they pressed the ALT key, so I added the ability to turn it off completely.  Then I added the ability to activate via a user defined key.

One compromise here might be to have "on ALT" mode selected by default?

I would argue for something that doesn't require setting a menu option. Deciding based on cursor position might be a bit confusing, but should be quick/convenient once you understand it. Another option would be to have separate cursor positions for "run" and "select" so for example pressing set when the name is highlighted runs the script, and there's a disk icon or something next to it to that brings up the selection dialog.
I like it.  And it would not be hard to prototype a few different methods and let people try them out.

Existing alt mode shortcuts
* Raw, zerbra etc are handled by the new GUI, so IMO don't need shortcuts at all.
* The shooting related (mostly half press) shortcuts are probably valued by some users. If shooting is allowed in the GUI, then half press shortcuts would make sense (analogous to Canon AF and AE lock) and not conflict with Canon keys or the regular GUI. OTOH, half press shortcuts are pretty awkward on many of these cameras.
By now, I'm pretty sure you already know my opinion here  :P

* One of my long term wishes has been to make shortcuts assignable. So you would have a list of actions (like "override focus to infinity") and rather than having a bunch of camera specific hard coded camera defaults, they would all start out unassigned and users could assign to based on what keys their camera actually has. Note I'm not suggesting you need to implement this, it could be a separate project for 1.6.
Somewhere there is a thread where we talked about a user editable table that maps key presses to user selected actions.  I can't find it now but it would allow remapping broken keys or launching specific scripts based on pressing a specific key.  Once you get started down this path there are a lot of possibilities.

On on unrelated note,  I think that I'm going to look into exposure metering next. The CHDKplus.lua script required a "half press" and that was sort of okay.  But the CHDK histogram runs in "real time" while in shooting mode. I assume it's using the LCD buffer so getting a real Bv value might be tricky but somewhere in the Canon code the LCD brightness gets adjusted based on exposure settings so there might be something to play around with there?

Edit : speaking of funny - I just found this https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10506

« Last Edit: 11 / November / 2017, 19:21:09 by waterwingz »

« Reply #14 on: 11 / November / 2017, 19:19:57 »
[quote author=waterwingz link=topic=13293.msg135260#msg135260 Yes, horizontally centered would be nice. I also would like to move the gui area over the Canon exposure values, so the suggestion with the layout editor.
Would you post a screen capture so that I can see the current centering and maybe where you'd like to be able to move things to?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #15 on: 11 / November / 2017, 20:13:31 »
One compromise here might be to have "on ALT" mode selected by default?
My thinking was if the new GUI can do everything alt mode does in a reasonable way, then code, user interface and documentation would be simplified by removing the old one.

I'm not saying we have to do that, just raising it as a possibility for discussion.
Somewhere there is a thread where we talked about a user editable table that maps key presses to user selected actions.  I can't find it now but it would allow remapping broken keys or launching specific scripts based on pressing a specific key.  Once you get started down this path there are a lot of possibilities.
Yes. The keyboard rework in 1.4 was meant to be a first step toward that kind of thing.

But the CHDK histogram runs in "real time" while in shooting mode. I assume it's using the LCD buffer so getting a real Bv value might be tricky but somewhere in the Canon code the LCD brightness gets adjusted based on exposure settings so there might be something to play around with there?
Right, histogram just comes from the live view, which only reflects camera exposure settings if you are in half press.

A related issue is that CHDK overrides generally don't affect the half press preview (though there are probably camera / mode / override specific exceptions). If we don't find a way around this, it will make the GUI harder to use and likely be a source of confusion for users.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #16 on: 12 / November / 2017, 07:48:54 »
Would you post a screen capture so that I can see the current centering and maybe where you'd like to be able to move things to?
Screen2 shows the recent situation. Screen3 shows the desired position.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #17 on: 12 / November / 2017, 11:33:47 »
Patch updated to rev 4 (attached to first post in this thread).

Changes :
  • Enabling & disabling GUI mode takes effect after next exit / entry to ALT (rather than requiring a power cycle of the camera). Need to augment the gui.c menu field code for Mode to make it instantaneous - no big deal, just more work.
  • Background box for GUI area now autodraws based on first & last field positions in current gui_altmode_elem structure.  It would probably be cleaner to just add an entry to the struct for the background. Another "to do".
  • Added two "themes" for wide modes and tested in my ixus300.  See notes below.

Notes on OSD position

I can think a number of options for positioning the OSD items associated with this GUI and dealing with standard vs wide screens. Some harder than others to implement or use, some taking more memory, and some taking more run-time processing.  In other words, the usual trade-offs.  Note that I have not played with my G16 (i.e. Digic6) camera - that will no doubt be another "can of worms".

• Provide several different themes for normal vs wide - just like in my current patch. Easy to do but takes more memory and themes that don't fit a camera's display will be included in the distro code. Does not allow the user to put the GUI in any particular location based on his camera configuration and preference.
  • Same as option 1 but make the themes actually included a build option based on screen size. Probably only maintainable if there are just two resulting options.
  • Provide one set of themes but define coordinated relative to screen center rather than the lower left hand corner. Takes a bit more processing at run time as translation to CHDK drawing coordinates needs to occur.
  • Same as option 3 but prescale the coordinates in the gui_altmode_elem struct at startup for the display size
  • Allow the user to specify an x & y position where the GUI stuff draws.
  • Provide an editor that allows the user to position where the GUI stuff draws.
  • Complex Solutions : Provide an editor that lets the user pick where each element of the GUI is drawn (and whether or not it is actually visible).  Figuring out how to setup the up/down/left/right key button actions could be problematic here.

Edit : GUI works normally on G16
« Last Edit: 12 / November / 2017, 11:41:34 by waterwingz »

Offline ftm

« Reply #18 on: 13 / January / 2018, 03:27:49 »
Following from CHDKplus.lua, I saw this thread. I like the simplicity. I will play with it some more.

« Reply #19 on: 13 / January / 2018, 03:58:11 »
Could you please post a test version of this with the SX 700 port? (If you get there)
(A 410), SX 200, (SX 280), SX 700