Request for Installation Assistance (Mac, IXUS160) - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Request for Installation Assistance (Mac, IXUS160)

• 11 Replies
Request for Installation Assistance (Mac, IXUS160)
« on: 23 / January / 2018, 06:56:34 »
Advertisements
Hi there, and thanks to everyone for all the work that has gone into the installation tools, the CHDK itself and the assistance offered in the forum.

I'm trying to install CHDK from Mac (two machines, one on OS X 10.7.5, the other on macOS 10.13.2) onto a Canon IXUS160. And meeting with repeated failure. I format an 8GB SanDisk Ultra card in the camera. On each Mac, I've then run stick.jar using a picture I took with the IXUS160 and followed the stick on-screen instructions in conjunction with reading the stick user guide. Stick indicates it has completed successfully. But when I put the (now) locked card into the camera, all I get is a 'Card Locked' error. Thanks in advance for any help! JB

Re: Request for Installation Assistance (Mac, IXUS160)
« Reply #1 on: 23 / January / 2018, 12:16:40 »
OP again:

I’ve managed to get CHDK loaded by using SDMInstall to format the card (but not upload the files) then ‘stick’ to upload the files to the prepared card. SDMInstall uploads didn't seem to function on the Mac OSs I have, and the IXUS didn't seem to recognise 'stick' prepared cards.

The camera still reports ‘MISSING MODULES”, but I do have a menu option ’CDHK Settings::Remote Parameters::Enable Remote’ which I can set/unset, and that is my main reason, so far to be using CHDK. So, now I start climbing the Arduino learning curve to trigger the IXUS by USB cable.

Huge thanks so far to Dave Mitchell for his programming and to Heikki Hietala, who has already trodden this cine-scanning route...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 23 / January / 2018, 12:48:13 »
The camera still reports ‘MISSING MODULES”
This means CHDK can't see the files that are supposed to be in CHDK/MODULES

CHDK will not work correctly without these files. You should use a card reader to check whether there are files in that directory.

One thing that could cause this kind of problem is if one of the install programs created a multi-partition card. If this is the case, then the canon firmware display sill show a very small number of photos remaining. I think you should also see two volumes if you use the card with your Mac.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 24 / January / 2018, 06:17:50 »
Thanks, Reyalp, for taking the time to help.

When I view the 8GB card on my Mac, I see two volumes; CANON, with 7.91GB available, and CHDK with 15.7MB available. Both have a CHDK directory, the smaller volume's CHDK directory contains; BOOKS, CCHDK4.CFG, CURVES, DATA, EDGE, FONTS, GRIDS, LANG, LOGS, MODULES, OSD__4.CFG, SCRIPTS, SYMBOLS

There are files in CHDK/MODULES, these are: _dng.flt, _hexbox.flt, _osd_le.flt, _rawop.flt, _tbox.flt, 4wins.flt, benchm.flt, calend.flt, cpuinfo.flt, curves.flt, edgeovr.flt, eyefi.flt, fselect.flt, grids.flt, histo.flt, lua.flt, mastmind.flt, mdetect.flt, memview.flt, modinsp.flt, mpopup.flt, palette.flt, reversi.flt, shothist.flt, snake.flt, sokoban.flt, sudoku.flt, tetris.flt, txtread.flt, ubasic.flt, useredit.flt, zebra.flt

The problem, I suspect, is my not knowing which files/modules are expected so that I can try resolve this.

Again, thanks,
JB
« Last Edit: 24 / January / 2018, 06:26:56 by thunderBucket »

« Reply #4 on: 24 / January / 2018, 09:17:05 »
When I view the 8GB card on my Mac, I see two volumes; CANON, with 7.91GB available, and CHDK with 15.7MB available.
Using STMinstall created two partitions on your SD card.  The IXUS160 does not need two partitions and can only access one.  (Only older cameras released before 2011 need two partitions).

Both have a CHDK directory, the smaller volume's CHDK directory contains; BOOKS, CCHDK4.CFG, CURVES, DATA, EDGE, FONTS, GRIDS, LANG, LOGS, MODULES, OSD__4.CFG, SCRIPTS, SYMBOLS There are files in CHDK/MODULES, these are: _dng.flt, _hexbox.flt, _osd_le.flt, _rawop.flt, _tbox.flt, 4wins.flt, benchm.flt, calend.flt, cpuinfo.flt, curves.flt, edgeovr.flt, eyefi.flt, fselect.flt, grids.flt, histo.flt, lua.flt, mastmind.flt, mdetect.flt, memview.flt, modinsp.flt, mpopup.flt, palette.flt, reversi.flt, shothist.flt, snake.flt, sokoban.flt, sudoku.flt, tetris.flt, txtread.flt, ubasic.flt, useredit.flt, zebra.flt
You really should reformat your card with a single partition and use it that way. STICK will do so for you but you may have permission issues using it on a Mac.

If you want to use the card the way it is, copy all the files & folders you see on the smaller partition to the larger one.  It sounds like that partition is already set as the primary partition (as CHDK can't find the files on the smaller partition) so that should work.

edit :  there is a lot more info about setting up your sd card here :

CHDK Wiki : Prepare your SD Card
« Last Edit: 24 / January / 2018, 09:31:40 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #5 on: 24 / January / 2018, 10:51:14 »
Hi Waterwingz et al.
Sorted, thank you. The 'Make bootable' command doesn't seem to work, but that's a minor inconvenience; CHDK loads without error, so I can move forward. I will try to RTFM in future.
Thanks again, JB

Offline zeno

« Reply #6 on: 25 / January / 2018, 05:31:25 »
I've only just seen this thread and things now seem to be sorted, but I would like to know why STICK didn't work properly. As WaterWingz said, it should not have created two partitions on a camera like the Ixus160. Though if the card already had two partitions, I'm not sure if it would have reformatted it have just one.

I haven't used OSX 10.7 for a long time - my Macs (I have three) are either on 10.12 or 10.13 - but though 10.7 does not impose the same security policy of requiring permission to read/write the boot sector, the current STICK doesn't know that and would probably fail if permission were not given.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #7 on: 25 / January / 2018, 08:07:39 »
Dave

I don't think STICK created the dual partitions.  He used SDMinstall when he has trouble getting STICK to do anything. (See the 1st two posts).

« Reply #8 on: 25 / January / 2018, 09:12:22 »
Hi Zeno/Waterwingz

Thank you both for your comments.

I think the problem was that there seem to be so many different instructions for installing CHDK. Especially where Mac is concerned. Your link, Waterwingz, to the installation instructions took me to a different place than I'd previously seen and following the link to check year of production of the camera was where it became clear that I didn't need two partitions, it didn't require FAT16 and that I needed to start in the Playback mode. Prior to that, I'd noticed 'stick' formatting the drive in FAT32 and had started the camera with the Power button not Playback - so it failed not because 'stick' was not doing something properly, but because I was.

Picnic - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer. So, now I can play Snake as badly as I did on my Apple ][e.

Again, thank you all for your assistance with my Phase 1. Now I'm trying to find the spec for the USB cable to connect the IXUS to an Arduino; I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

JB
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2018, 09:47:36 by thunderBucket »

« Reply #9 on: 25 / January / 2018, 10:01:04 »
I'm trying to find the spec for the USB cable to connect the IXUS to an Arduino;
Your solution here will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. 

If you hope to get digital communications between the Arduino and CHDK things get complicated fast.  It's possible but not easy.

If you just want to the Arduino to act as a USB remote the all you need to do is connect it to a digital output and toggle +5V on the red wire.

Link :  CHDK USB Remote