2 Bricked elph 160 cameras - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

2 Bricked elph 160 cameras

• 39 Replies

Offline rduz

Re: 2 Bricked elph 160 cameras
« Reply #10 on: 04 / March / 2018, 02:28:56 »
Advertisements
I attempted to boot it again and it did something a bit odd.  It extended the lens just a bit and then did nothing.  I didn't want to brick a 3rd camera, so for the moment, I pulled the memory card and haven't tried to boot it since.
That is odd... normally, when CHDK boots on cameras like this, the lens doesn't even try to extend unless you hold the power button down.
It blinked continuously until I pulled the battery.
The most likely thing to make it blink continuously is CHDK's model/firmware version check. This checks that the camera model and firmware version are correct, and blinks continuously if they aren't. If you got the version with stick, it should be OK though, unless they were actually different firmware versions and the images got mixed up.

Do you still have the images you used to get the version?

I do.  I've downloaded a few times, but they all report 1.4.1 in the changelog.txt.

They were used - from ebay.  I didn't think too much of the first camera bricking since it was an ebay purchase.  The second one bricking like the first one bothers me though.
Yeah, two in a row seems like a red flag. Were they all from the same seller?

Three different sellers.

I read the UART page and I realize that I can't use the UART method.  I don't have an o-scope or werewithal to use it effectively.  I can make the cameras available to an intrepid sleuth if that would help the situation.
Understandable. Lets see what the build I posted does first...

Thanks for trying to help me!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 04 / March / 2018, 16:30:51 »
I do.  I've downloaded a few times, but they all report 1.4.1 in the changelog.txt.
I meant the jpeg images you used to get the firmware version. If you have them and can upload somewhere, that might provide some clue.

Thanks for trying to help me!
I wish I could be more helpful. If CHDK is really the cause of the bricking, we'd definitely like to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, I'm short of ideas...

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 04 / March / 2018, 17:12:49 »
Just for future reference, @Hacki verified that the build I posted above blinks the LED on 100a cameras, and the power up behavior is the normal long press required to boot in record mode.

He also reports the current 1.4.1 working OK on his cameras.

The known firmwares for this camera (100a and 100b) use the same CHDK build. I verified the sigfinder produces identical output.

This is really weird. If it was only only one camera, I'd dismiss it as random hardware failure, but 2?  :-[

« Reply #13 on: 06 / March / 2018, 00:17:56 »
I'd say two from the same user implies that the user is doing something different from other users.
Not hardware but a bug in chdk ( install process ) or a misunderstanding of something by the user.

« Reply #14 on: 06 / March / 2018, 00:27:50 »
Speaking as someone who has loaded many many broken CHDK images created while I ported new cameras, I find this very surprising.  The Canon load process is very robust.

The only different thing here is the use of the LICKS utility, and I fail to understand how that could matter. 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #15 on: 06 / March / 2018, 02:06:24 »
I'd say two from the same user implies that the user is doing something different from other users.
Not hardware but a bug in chdk ( install process ) or a misunderstanding of something by the user.
The thing that bugs me about this is we don't know any way to incorrectly install CHDK that bricks a camera. In the last 10 years, we've loaded all kinds of horribly broken / incorrect builds, and in virtually every case, no more than pulling the battery is required.

The closest is installing an build for a different model or firmware version (reasonably suspected of *one* bricking in the entire history https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10559.0), but in current CHDK, that should either crash immediately due to incorrect diskboot encoding, or trigger the compatibility check and sit there harmlessly blinking the LED until you pull the battery.
The only non-digic6 camera that shares the same diskboot encoding is the sx410, which hacki verified triggers the compatibility check on ixus160 with no obvious harm.

Corruption on the SD card or by the cameras SD controller could maybe do it in theory, but it seems like you'd have to get really (un)lucky, and the chances of the same thing happening on with multiple cards and cameras should be minuscule.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #16 on: 06 / March / 2018, 08:57:10 »
I think i recall cases where i had to remove the RTC clock battery of my other powershots because the canon settings somehow got corrupted and prevented a boot. It's been a while..

Unfortunately you have to take apart the Ixus 160 to do that. But its not too bad, only a couple of screws.

The Battery is soldered in, but if you short out the two contacts briefly it resets everything.

Worth a try. It wont brick the cameras any more than they already are.

(Its possible i'm remembering wrong and this will do nothing)
« Last Edit: 06 / March / 2018, 09:19:12 by Hacki »

« Reply #17 on: 06 / March / 2018, 15:29:31 »
I have 6 of these cameras, with a mix of a and b firmware. I have sync'd all of them from a usb cable and no issues so far.

« Reply #18 on: 06 / March / 2018, 16:01:37 »
Have you actually checked the batteries are charged?

Offline rduz

« Reply #19 on: 09 / March / 2018, 16:40:09 »
Have you actually checked the batteries are charged?

I have batteries as well as AC adapters.  There are three total cameras, two bricked.  As a quick test, I booted the good camera and it came up and showed a full battery.  If I install the known good battery into either of the two bricked cameras and attempt to power them on, nothing happens when pressing either the power or the play button.