turn on settings - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

turn on settings

• 5 Replies
turn on settings
« on: 08 / April / 2018, 22:15:33 »
Advertisements
Is there any way to alter the initialization procedures the camera goes through when it boots up? Im doing a project trying to replace the lens on elph 100hs with a c mount lens. The camera seems to be trying to check for a working lens when it boots up though. Any ideas?

Re: turn on settings
« Reply #1 on: 08 / April / 2018, 23:46:12 »
You probably want to take a careful look at this :   http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/User:Srsa_4c/Working_with_a_broken_camera

The links at the bottom of that page are very useful too - especially this one :  https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8801
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 15 / April / 2018, 23:05:17 »
Hi Waterwingz,

Thanks for the resources! Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood, I have two options.

1. Use the DisableLenseError command though CHDK PTP to get the camera to boot up without checking for a functioning lens. I'm still learning about all that, so that might not be the right way to say it, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

2. Physically cut away everything except the focus/zoom motors and sensors so the lens is gone, but the camera still detects the same results from it's sensors.

I managed to tear one of the ribbon cables off, so I'll definitely have to get a new lens assembly to try #2, however, I think I may need a new lens to try #1 too; ever since I tore that cable, I can't get CHDK to show up as a firmware update. I'm thinking maybe I should get the thing functioning with the lens first so I can fix one symptom at a time.

Do you think this is the best course of action? Thanks for the help!

« Reply #3 on: 16 / April / 2018, 00:01:18 »
Do you think this is the best course of action? Thanks for the help!
Sorry - I just posted a few links by people who have gone down your path that I remembered reading.  I've never tried anything like this myself.

... ever since I tore that cable, I can't get CHDK to show up as a firmware update.
One thing that I can suggest though is to figure out how to get your camera to autoboot with the SD card lock method.  You want CHDK loaded before the camera firmware starts doing much of anything.  Using the firmware update method of loading CHDK will not help you with that.

Link > Prepare your SD Card : Bootable SD Card Method
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 26 / May / 2018, 19:45:24 »
UPDATE: It's working! Sort of...

I did a bunch of research on the software side to try to get the camera to ignore the missing lens hardware, but I wasn't able to get it to work. Disabling the image stabilizer error is pretty easy - the "DisableISDriveError" command in the link you shared worked like a charm. However, if it is possible to disable the zoom and focus errors, it's beyond my capabilities.

I ordered a new lens unit ($20 on ebay) and removed the actual lens part, leaving only the CCD, the focus mechanism, the zoom motor, and the first ring of the lens (the one the zoom motor turns). The camera booted up fine, since all its sensors were satisfied.

I broke off the actual focus lens, but the arm still moves around uselessly to keep the camera happy. With that done, the CCD was exposed. Here's some sample footage with the lens just held in front of the CCD.

...and a video.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eac0_xPr4jVdNqzofj4eBFzIWeg9KzNf

These were taken in Auto mode, with very poor lighting, so I'd say the new lens is going to be great for low light! I'm hoping once I get the lens secured, I'll be able to focus more accurately. I'm currently having a little trouble mounting it at the right distance from the sensor. 17.5 mm is what I read is correct. Too close and you can't focus too infinity, too far and you can't focus close up. I'll post an update once I get that together. Thanks for your help so far!

« Reply #5 on: 28 / April / 2020, 16:16:38 »
Ok, well I've been meaning to post the results for about 2 years now, but I kept waiting till I could get the write-up just right. And that's not going to happen, so here's what I've got now:

https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14040.msg143349

Hope it helps, internet travelers!