CHDK Autoboot w/ Eye-Fi

• 34 Replies

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
Re: CHDK Autoboot w/ Eye-Fi
« Reply #20 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:48:15 »
Advertisements
That looks to be just a wifi card in a Mini SD form factor, rather than a wifi-enabled memory card.

Difference being?
And besides, you can always buy a little converter :)
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #21 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:54:06 »
intrnst   You joust gave me a idea. If we could make that possible we also achieve to have a laptop or whatever as an Viewfinder. Even if its wery framy after a sec you would have the best preview of what your going to shoot. I personally hate often the camera's 3 cm LCD but its probably only my strange opinion.
However this sounds technically weary unprobable

well technically you can just do it thru a usb cable (software for remote shooting comes w/my s5)
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

« Reply #22 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:02:00 »
Difference being?

Other than the looks, they're entirely different. SDIO wifi cards do not contain any storage space and require drivers to communicate with a wifi network. The EyeFi card handles the wifi communication entirely internally and appears to the camera as a normal memory card.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #23 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:05:32 »
OK hope I am doing this "post combo" right, if not tell me :)

well, in that case you don't need the eyefi card at all... it is only useful for special purposes. for example taking a timelapse with lots of pictures during a big span of time.
Mm...no not necessarily. Sometimes I go on trips. Take a few thousand photos, go back to hotel (or place w/wifi), upload, next day repeat. I can easily use up an 8 gig in a day.

oh and please dont triple post. you can quote each post into one single post Smiley
Alrighty :) But then again how will ppl see I replied...

Difference being?

Other than the looks, they're entirely different. SDIO wifi cards do not contain any storage space and require drivers to communicate with a wifi network. The EyeFi card handles the wifi communication entirely internally and appears to the camera as a normal memory card.

oooh didn't catch the no space part! Knew it was too good to be true ;). About the drivers part, I say its a plus since we will have full control of the card. but the no space part kinda ruins it, since you won't even be able to run chdk.

----

Quote from: adcz on Today at 09:46:33
Quote from: PhyrePhoX on Today at 09:43:15
so far the write protection fix hasnt been tested yet. i'm pretty sure it will work.
and the whole point of this card is that you only need to carry around ONE card only, because why would you need 10 of these cards, holding 8 GB each, when it's purpose is to backup the pictures via wifi?
only thing you need carrying around is a laptop or access to hotspots that allow you to "phone home".
you can of course try and email the eyefi corp, and i bet you will even get a letter back - a cease and desist letter Wink

Uuh...I dunno...most places I take pics are w/o wifi connections for a mile. And carrying around my laptop...oh boy that...will be a pain.
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2008, 10:16:06 by adcz »
---

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #24 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:09:03 »
so far the write protection fix hasnt been tested yet. i'm pretty sure it will work.
and the whole point of this card is that you only need to carry around ONE card only, because why would you need 10 of these cards, holding 8 GB each, when it's purpose is to backup the pictures via wifi?
only thing you need carrying around is a laptop or access to hotspots that allow you to "phone home".
you can of course try and email the eyefi corp, and i bet you will even get a letter back - a cease and desist letter ;)

Uuh...I dunno...most places I take pics are w/o wifi connections for a mile. And carrying around my laptop...oh boy that...will be a pain.

well, in that case you dont need the eyefi card at all... it is only useful for special purposes. for example taking a timelapse with lots of pictures during a big span of time.

oh and please dont triple post. you can quote each post into one single post :)

« Reply #25 on: 09 / June / 2008, 11:21:45 »

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #26 on: 09 / June / 2008, 16:24:18 »
Oooh! I read that. I never knew MacBooks had a feature like that....
The article was not really CHDK-Related, but nevertheless a great find. I am now thinking of buying one of those Eye-Fi cards...just in case I ever lose my cam :D

Have you seen this news item:
Today @ PC World Wi-Fi Enabled Camera Helps Nab Crooks: Start of a Trend
---

« Reply #27 on: 03 / July / 2008, 16:28:29 »

well, in that case you dont need the eyefi card at all... it is only useful for special purposes. for example taking a timelapse with lots of pictures during a big span of time.

I was wondering if any of you would have ideas for exactly how one could set up cameras to take time lapse images over the course of, say, a month using EyeFi to upload images to a server or computer without CHDK's ultra intervalometer function?  Since CHDK is currently unavailable for EyeFi.

Also, is anyone working on putting CHDK onto EyeFi cards, or is that impossible?  If any developers believe that they can do this, we are willing to financially assist this progress.

Thanks!

-- -------------------------------------
Ronald J. Hause, Jr.
Ph.D. Candidate
Borevitz Lab, Erman 305
Committee on Genetics, Genomics and Systems Biology
The University of Chicago
1103 E. 57th St.
Chicago, IL 60637
Lab:  773.702.4650  Cell:  724.787.0371  Fax:  773.702.9270
Web:  https://borevitzlab.uchicago.edu/

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #28 on: 03 / July / 2008, 16:43:34 »
well, there is no real reason why it should be impossible for CHDK to work on eye-fi - you "just" need to make it write-protected by carving in a "notch". the following link should help determining if this can be done (or if the chip inside is too large): The Eye-Fi Card - Dissected | IkonTools
another interesting link regarding eye-fi: InformIT: The Eye-Fi: A Case Study in Next-Generation Application Security Issues > Web 2.0 and the Eye-Fi Versus CRSF

« Reply #29 on: 11 / August / 2008, 00:59:52 »
has anyone used the eye-fi with chdk? while this thread speculates about the read/write notch, i'm concerned that it might not respond well to the necessary chdk files on the card.

has anyone done this?