supplierdeeply

focus in multilapse.lua (was Re: Setting focus from scripts or menus)

• 1 Replies

Offline Sdack

Advertisements
Hey Reyalp,

The Sun has changed position in the sky over the last few months, to the point where late in the afternoon, it's highlighting the specs of dust on the glass in front of my extended time lapse rig and causing the camera to refocus, blurring the main focus of the images from this

to this

I would like to adjust the focusing part of the multilapse.lua script to force the camera to infinite focus.

Better still would be to add this as an option in the multilapse-config.lua file
I looked hard and long at it but couldn't figure out how to extract the focus loop from the nest of BV loops.
Thanks for any help
Cheers
Sdack
« Last Edit: 18 / April / 2018, 15:14:41 by reyalp »

Offline reyalp

Re: focus in multilapse.lua (was Re: Setting focus from scripts or menus)
« Reply #1 on: 18 / April / 2018, 15:24:36 »
Hey Reyalp,

I would like to adjust the focusing part of the multilapse.lua script to force the camera to infinite focus.

Better still would be to add this as an option in the multilapse-config.lua file
I looked hard and long at it but couldn't figure out how to extract the focus loop from the nest of BV loops.
Thanks for any help
Cheers
Sdack
I split this from the SD override thread https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11078.550 since it's really specifically about multilapse and not the CHDK functions in general.

Despite the name, the try_focus stuff doesn't have anything to do with the focus of the shot. It's just waiting for halfpress to be ready to get the Bv. Since half press is released, whatever happens in that loop will have no impact on the focus of the following shot.

The shots are taken with -sd=100000 which should be the focus distance in meters. Whether -sd= works on your camera depends on the specifics of the port. I think the conclusion in thread was that it does work on ixus160, but if you need to set MF or AF lock to get focus override to work, you will need to call set_mf(true) or set_aflock(true) somewhere, like the commented example in camera_init.

To set the focus distance in the config file, you'd just need to insert the value in the  -sd= commands.
Don't forget what the H stands for.