Live view vs CHDK shot photo, not same - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Live view vs CHDK shot photo, not same

• 7 Replies
Live view vs CHDK shot photo, not same
« on: 09 / May / 2018, 09:23:01 »
Advertisements
Hello, my cameras are fixed and I have been working with CHDK again. So,I have several questions. Because they are not exactly related to each other, I will split those into two threads.

I am practicing with two cameras. SX530 HS and SX30 IS. I have CHDK installed on both with same files on both, identical scripts list and Lualib files.

Question 1: I was taking sunset shots yesterday with SX30, running the script counter.bas. I noticed that the live view in the display was much darker than the actual shots I was getting (The camera's settings were exp 1/160, f8.0). As sun went down I kept changing the "short exposure value" in the CHDK menu to increase the light in the actual shots. I noticed that the live view kept getting darker and darker with sun down. I did not change the camera's own exposure settings. As the counter.bas was running, camera was activated immediately before each shot, the live view appeared to change to the actual shot brightness and then shot was taken.

Can you please explain this phenomenon? Is there a way to see the actual CHDK settings image in monitor display in live view? Thanks.

Offline reyalp

Re: Live view vs CHDK shot photo, not same
« Reply #1 on: 09 / May / 2018, 13:14:19 »
Can you please explain this phenomenon? Is there a way to see the actual CHDK settings image in monitor display in live view? Thanks.
CHDK overrides do not generally control the live preview. In some cameras and shooting modes you might see the effect of the override at some point, but if so it's a side effect not an intended feature.

Since both of your cameras have full manual control, you could use that if you want to see the effect of your settings.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 09 / May / 2018, 19:43:07 »
The cameras are set in full manual mode. The observations I wrote earlier are in the manual mode.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 09 / May / 2018, 22:45:09 »
The cameras are set in full manual mode. The observations I wrote earlier are in the manual mode.
If you control the exposure using the Canon UI, the live view will normally reflect the settings you chose.

If you use CHDK overrides, it probably won't.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #4 on: 10 / May / 2018, 02:36:41 »

Maybe it has something to do with the exposure simulation. The Live View will not show the actual values.
What happens without CHDK?
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #5 on: 10 / May / 2018, 08:53:50 »
With CHDK disabled, what I see on the screen is what I get on shot. I see a certain level of brightness on the screen, as I press the shutter halfway the screen becomes brighter and pressing the shutter full shoots the scene to the same light level as was seen before pressing shutter halfway.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 10 / May / 2018, 13:44:03 »
As I explained twice already CHDK overrides are not usually reflected in the live view. Is this not clear?

If you control exposure only using Canon controls, the behavior should be the same whether or not CHDK is running. If this isn't the case, then maybe there's a bug in the port.

« Reply #7 on: 10 / May / 2018, 15:30:14 »
Reyalp, thank you very much. I understand.