Newbie issues, still - - page 3 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Newbie issues, still -

• 146 Replies

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
Re: Newbie issues, still -
« Reply #20 on: 25 / May / 2008, 16:10:27 »
Advertisements
Almost 2/3 of the way into the "...for Dummies" I found this [...] should be better highlighted and explained among the first steps and descriptions.
Stephen,

First of all, thanks for spent your time helping us in this project.

Second, I think you are right in your complain. I already changed the RAW section structure. It's better now. I just don't agree with you on the extreme importance you gave to RAW. RAW is another apple in the CHDK basket, and hence, must be treated equally.
The RAW solutions will come, as well as development of CHDK.

And last, don't bother with this incidental animosity. You'll see that the big guys here, although they are always really busy coding and developing the versions, don't use this kind of behavior.

Keep CHDKing and enjoying!
One more time, be welcome!
-- funny english, be aware -- CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps

« Reply #21 on: 25 / May / 2008, 20:06:14 »
May I just add to this thread that this is a very good subject, and is looking pretty cool. Have fun ;)

Offline sumoetx

• A720is
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #22 on: 26 / May / 2008, 05:24:44 »
Hello All,

I just wanted to add as a CHDK newbie that I too have been totally overwhelmed by the amount of information that is contained in the Wiki. And also I'm totally lost at trying to find what does what, where to get it, and how to use it!! Everything seems completely jumbled, and random. I know that people have done amazing things with motion detection but I can't figure out which script or revision of that script is the "best." I've seen amazing links to timelapse videos, but I still couldn't tell you what script was used or how to use it, or if it'll work in my camera. Is it fbonomi's? jucifers? someonelse's??  :o  I understand that it takes all of us using and trying and posting results to gather that kind of information but I'd really like one area that had it all laid out nicely and clearly. So I could say I want to do "A" and there laid out are all the options available to date to do it.  I've been to the "Completed and Working Scripts " page but it seems to be missing out alot of the newer revisions and ideas. and references again those confusing posts about script parameters etc. Since I'm not a programmer I can't make heads or tails of them-don't get me wrong I know that's how our awesome developers get things worked out!! But I would like a reference to the solution only!! A seperate page where I only read this is what it does and how to do it. I could then use it and post my results under a link at the bottom so other potential users could see if it works, or if I had issues maybe a break down by camera model and/or build, etc.

I really enjoyed  User:Intrnst - CHDK Wiki
 I think this is very close to what I want, :D  I read through it and although I've already figured out all those things including the trouble with RAW it would've saved me a TON of time and confusion had I been able to read that the first day I had CHDK. Nicely done, thank you for your efforts. 
 Sorry I ranted but as a somewhat typical (at least I think I am) CHDK newbie-camera enthusiast, computer literate, but NOT a programmer of any kind and totally at the mercy of others that are much smarter and dedicated than I, and aware that Wiki although useful for gathering alot of data is poor at organizing said data, really needs to be organized better and cleaned up to help us poor lost souls trying to do great things with our cheap little cameras. :blink:

Again THANK YOU to all that have contributed, I'm just still lost in it all. And a bit upset that I haven't been able to do anything I've wanted due to this confusion. But willing to test everything I can as long as you tell me how to use it!  BTW I have a A720is with the latest Allbest build, (not because I KNOW it's the best but because somewhere in here I READ it was the best to use, but I've also read afterwards that it's not)  :'(

Happy days

Sumoetx

« Reply #23 on: 26 / May / 2008, 07:34:38 »
Hi,

Both this topic and the CHDK End-User's Guide 03  - 16-MAY-08 topic are good to be stickied.

Apparently this is not the best forum to have either one (they're both under CHDK development), so I propose them to be moved to General Discussion And Assistance on using stable releases. Also, a new sub-forum for "Newbies and CHDK User guides" could be useful.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #24 on: 26 / May / 2008, 14:23:36 »
@acseven
Thanks for the support words!
OTM of forum arrangements, if you think is better, let's go for it! No objections from me.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by.

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #25 on: 26 / May / 2008, 16:18:58 »
Hi, sumoetx!

Welcome! I'm glad you released your thoughts here. They will help. I'm just reorganizing part of the CHDK for Newbies - Very First Steps structure because of that.

About the versions thing... PhyrePhoX is working in a motion for a United Version too see here. Let's see how it goes.

I want to do "A" and there laid out are all the options available to date to do it.
Exactly!

And about the misplaced and apparently confusing infos, the thing is:
Still now wiki and this forum too was almost exclusively populated by Devs and Coders. And guess what? This makes all the sense of the world for them. They understand it all perfectly. But, more people continue arriving, people like us. So... we are here trying to make some things understandable for ourselves.

Thanks for your words and don't give up on your CHDK projects. It's always a matter of time.
Cheers!

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #26 on: 28 / May / 2008, 01:23:23 »
Hi, again.

Coders, please!

I need some technical help for possible mistakes at the concepts written at
Script definition.

Thanks in advance!

___
Edited: Bad link
« Last Edit: 28 / May / 2008, 04:29:46 by intrnst »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #27 on: 28 / May / 2008, 04:13:23 »
what exactly do you need help with? the link you provided leads me to a page "editing user:intrnst (section)". nothing about script definition?

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #28 on: 28 / May / 2008, 04:27:28 »
My bad

there it is Script definition

Sorry.

Edit: I better go sleep!
« Last Edit: 28 / May / 2008, 04:31:07 by intrnst »

Offline sumoetx

• A720is
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #29 on: 30 / May / 2008, 03:47:33 »
intrnst,

I edited the page for spelling and some grammar. Hope I did it right. I've never edited a Wiki before, let me know if I messed up anything.  :o

The page is looking good BTW, and I really enjoy your humor.

sumoetx