Newbie issues, still - - page 13 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Newbie issues, still -

• 146 Replies

Offline zeno

Re: Newbie issues, still -
« Reply #120 on: 14 / July / 2011, 18:04:18 »
Advertisements
There are alpha (not fully tested/working) builds for the SX130. There's a porting thread on it - for builds see here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg68415#msg68415
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #121 on: 25 / October / 2012, 12:08:26 »
Hi I got the CHDK to work on my Canon G9 :D
However, I am unable to even get the ver.req or ver.req to work on my wife's "PowerShot Elfe 300 HS"

When I press the [FUNC/SET] button and the [DISP] (display is at the bottom of the ring; I think) nothing happens. Any ideas on how to get past these first steps?

Offline zeno

« Reply #122 on: 25 / October / 2012, 12:23:01 »
Take a picture with the camera and use my ACID app - it will download the right build for you automatically. See http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/acid/acid.html
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

so far so good !!
« Reply #123 on: 10 / March / 2013, 14:37:32 »
woo hoo :) thanks for this great freeware !!

i poked around, downloaded many pages, pdf files, read thru them a few times, did the ver.req trick for my a1200 model version 1c, ran the cardtricks thingie, autoboot for the sd card & it works :D :D

next step is more reading & trying the fixed aperture setting.  i'm trying some simple "product" photos with a white pillowcase background, pics of things & want to get more depth of field

i'll post a few pics later...

« Reply #124 on: 10 / March / 2013, 15:45:44 »
next step is more reading & trying the fixed aperture setting.  i'm trying some simple "product" photos with a white pillowcase background, pics of things & want to get more depth of field
Sorry - not going to happen with the A1200.    That camera does not have a variable iris / aperature.  There is no physical equipment in the lens or camera body with an hole that changes shape.   CHDK can do many things,  but its just software.

If you are wondering why the camera specs show different effective f-stops,  it because the effective aperature of the len changes with zoom position.  So you get a different value with each zoom step.

The little lens on Canon P&S camera have fantastic depth of field - almost everything is in focus all the time.  Great for quick snapshots - not so good if you want to blurr the background the way a $400 dSLR lens can.
« Last Edit: 10 / March / 2013, 15:47:19 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #125 on: 11 / March / 2013, 12:59:59 »
Sorry - not going to happen with the A1200.    That camera does not have a variable iris / aperature.  There is no physical equipment in the lens or camera body with an hole that changes shape.   CHDK can do many things,  but its just software.

If you are wondering why the camera specs show different effective f-stops,  it because the effective aperature of the len changes with zoom position.  So you get a different value with each zoom step....

dang what a waste of time then  :blink:  this aperture thing was (so far) really the only feature i wanted.  thanks for letting me know.  i just poked around the menu & couldn't find anything for aperture :( but setting the display to show the aperture & zooming does change the value

altho maybe i can still use this little thing :) instead of setting the aperture, just zoom in max. zoom all the way out the aperture value display shows 2.9 & zoom all the way in shows 6.1

so again woo hoo :) thanks for that tidbit of info, likely i would have posted a question about this anyway after trying etc :)
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2013, 13:10:41 by nooba_dooba »

Offline Hmm

Re: Confused on which method to use to prepare the SD Card
« Reply #126 on: 20 / April / 2013, 19:35:33 »
There are many options to prepare the SD card:

1. Firmware Update Method
2. Bootable SD Card Method
3. Using EOSCard
4. Windows Method 1
5. Windows Method 2
6. Windows Method 3
7. Windows Method 4

I got rather confused very quickly after reading the Wiki. It seems all the methods state that none of the changes are permanent yet, there are so many methods to choose. 

With all the methods, you have to load the CHDK each time. But what do you mean by turning off? After taking the battery out or after pressing the OFF switch on the camera?

I often turn the camera off and on when taking pictures, to conserve battery. If have to load the CHDK each time I press the off switch, how long does it take to load?

One of the methods says to lock your memory card.  That blows my mind completely because when you lock your memory card you can't save any images onto your memory card. 

Formatting the SD card via Cardtricks takes a looong time. I find the FORMATTING CARD display very intrusive. It won't disappear from my screen.

When I do a full format of my SD card, it never takes this long as with Cardtricks when formating  through Windows. Why can't we just format the card via Windows, either Quickformat or the regular format? Is it possible to have a .BAT file created so that within the Windows environment the SD card can be formatted and the vers.req installed?

Which method of loading the CHDK firmware is the most common?

I also find the key captacha very difficult to use. I am using CHROME.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I find all this terribly confusing and I am not a computer noob unless we're talking about programming and Linux/DOS tasks.  Too bad there wasn't a youtube video or more descriptive illustrations to help us noobs out.
« Last Edit: 20 / April / 2013, 19:44:26 by Hmm »

« Reply #127 on: 20 / April / 2013, 19:42:56 »
There are many options to prepare the SD card:
1. Firmware Update Method
2. Bootable SD Card Method
3. Using EOSCard
4. Windows Method 1
5. Windows Method 2
The beauty of a long hacked development process.  Right now you are better off just using the STICK program.

I got rather confused very quickly after reading the Wiki. It seems all the methods state that none of the changes are permanent yet, there are so many methods to choose. 
All three statements are true.

With all the methods, you have to load the CHDK each time.
False.   If you use the "Card Lock Autoboot" method,  CHDK will be loaded every time you start your camera.  Long winded though it may be,  this is always the best source for information about loading CHDK on your SD card :   http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

But what do you mean by turning off? After taking the battery out or after pressing the OFF switch on the camera?
The later.

I often turn the camera off and on when taking pictures, to conserve battery. If have to load the CHDK each time I press the off switch, how long does it take to load?
Using the firmware update method,  its basically instantaneous once you have navigated the Canon menus.  The autoboot method takes even less time.

One of the methods says to lock your memory card.  That blows my mind completely because when you lock your memory card you can't save any images onto your memory card. 
Almost like magic, isn't it?  But it works.  The CHDK code basically masks off the SD card lock switch input bit in software so that the Canon firmware does not see that the card is locked.

Formatting the SD card via Cardtricks takes a looong time. I find the FORMATTING CARD display very intrusive. It won't disappear from my screen.
Cardtricks is obsolete.  Use the STICK utility.  But formatting takes time whatever method you use.    however you should only have to do it once.

When I do a full format of my SD card, it never takes this long as with Cardtricks when formating  through Windows. Why can't we just format the card via Windows, either Quickformat or the regular format?
You can.

Which method of loading the CHDK firmware is the most common?
Autobooting.

Is it possible to have a .BAT file created so that within the Windows environment the SD card can be formatted and the vers.req installed?
You don't need either if you use STICK.

I also find the key captacha very difficult to use. I am using CHROME.
That apparently goes away after you have posted a few times.  Spammers used to be a big problem on this forum.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I find all this terribly confusing and I am not a computer noob unless we're talking about programming and Linux/DOS tasks.  Too bad there wasn't a youtube video or more descriptive illustrations to help us noobs out.
There are a lot of CHDK youtube videos - did you search on youtube for the word CHDK ?  The quality varies and most have mistakes as the people that do them tend to be newbies themselves.
« Last Edit: 20 / April / 2013, 19:48:43 by waterwingz »

Offline Hmm

« Reply #128 on: 20 / April / 2013, 20:40:07 »
Thanks waterwingz for steering me to STICK.
The boot is almost instantaneous as you said, however, it's quite flickery too use the new menu system.

« Reply #129 on: 20 / April / 2013, 20:45:29 »
Thanks waterwingz for steering me to STICK.
The boot is almost instantaneous as you said, however, it's quite flickery too use the new menu system.
One of the limitations we have never really overcome when the camera is in shooting mode.  The Canon software does a lot of screen updates that walk all over the CHDK menus.  Its been vastly improved over the years but recent camera that use autotracking focus windows make a mess of things.   Its usually best to do most of your setup in playback mode - things tend to flicker a lot less there.