EOS M3 porting - page 75 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

EOS M3 porting

• 746 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: EOS M3 porting
« Reply #740 on: 10 / October / 2023, 23:03:37 »
Advertisements
I was able to get it nice after changing the PAL to NTCS.
That's a useful data point.
Dont really know what else it might do. Is it possible to have it working with PAL?
It should be possible to fix, but the code looks like it's set up to handle both the same way, so we'll need some additional information.

I've attached a test script which will collect some information.
You must set "Enable Lua Native Calls" in the CHDK miscellaneous menu before running the script.

Please run the script, with the camera in shooting mode (not playback/image review) once with HDMI connected and format set to NTSC, and once again with it set to PAL.

It will create a file called m3vtest.log in the root of the SD card. Please post that here.

Note this script is only for M3 with firmware 121a (or sx730 100d which I used for testing, since I don't have an M3)

AFAIK NTSC vs PAL shouldn't affect HDMI out per se, but according to the manual, it changes the available frame rates in various video recording modes. I don't know if it also affects live view frame rate.
I tried to take a dumb from camera and have a file called "M0132.CTG
I'm not clear what this refers to, the M****.CTG files found in DCIM/MISC are something the canon firmware does related keeping track of image files.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #741 on: 11 / October / 2023, 01:26:49 »
I've attached a test script which will collect some information.
You must set "Enable Lua Native Calls" in the CHDK miscellaneous menu before running the script.

Please run the script, with the camera in shooting mode (not playback/image review) once with HDMI connected and format set to NTSC, and once again with it set to PAL.

It will create a file called m3vtest.log in the root of the SD card. Please post that here.
Please check attached files. Indeed there is some differences. Quite interesting to be honest.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #742 on: 11 / October / 2023, 16:16:09 »
Please check attached files. Indeed there is some differences. Quite interesting to be honest.
Thanks, that is interesting.
vhp and vvp are the width and height of the live view, respectively, as reported by the Canon firmware.

displaytype is an internal variable that reflects the display mode, where 6 and 7 are FHD NTSC and PAL respectively, and 8 (and possibly 9) are the low res HDMI out fallback modes I mentioned earlier.

So it appears when PAL is selected, the camera is using the fallback mode, which the CHDK UI code doesn't currently support correctly. Falling back to this mode is likely due to some conflict between what the camera wants to do in HDMI + PAL and what the capture device supports.

I can probably fix the UI in low res fallback mode and will try to post a test build later, but if you want FHD with that capture device, you're probably going to have to stick with the NTSC setting.

If you have a computer monitor or TV that accepts HDMI, it would be somewhat interesting to know if they work with the camera set to PAL.

« Reply #743 on: 13 / October / 2023, 03:15:09 »
If you have a computer monitor or TV that accepts HDMI, it would be somewhat interesting to know if they work with the camera set to PAL.
I tested HDMI with old Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500. Both PAL and NTSC worked fine with correct output picture. I've attached log files.

In the meantime, I use NTSC with capture card.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #744 on: 13 / October / 2023, 17:20:30 »
I tested HDMI with old Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500. Both PAL and NTSC worked fine with correct output picture. I've attached log files.
Thanks. That does seem to confirm the issue is some kind of quirk specific to that capture device and the camera. You might check that you have the latest firmware for the AV.io HD, if you haven't already https://www.epiphan.com/support/avio-hd-software-documentation/

If the Sony has an option to display information about the resolution, timings etc of the input, that might provide some clue what the camera does differently between NTSC and PAL modes.

« Reply #745 on: 06 / November / 2023, 05:37:52 »
Thanks. That does seem to confirm the issue is some kind of quirk specific to that capture device and the camera. You might check that you have the latest firmware for the AV.io HD, if you haven't already https://www.epiphan.com/support/avio-hd-software-documentation/

If the Sony has an option to display information about the resolution, timings etc of the input, that might provide some clue what the camera does differently between NTSC and PAL modes.
Unfortunately Sony didn't have any specific details. Only informed that resolution was 1080p. I can try with different televisions.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #746 on: 06 / November / 2023, 13:01:52 »
Unfortunately Sony didn't have any specific details. Only informed that resolution was 1080p. I can try with different televisions.
If it's easy, it wouldn't hurt, but don't go out of your way since at best it will provide a clue as to what your capture device doesn't like, it's not likely to be anything we can fix on the CHDK side in any case.

I tried using my SX730 on an Acer G257HU computer monitor and found the following:
NTSC: 1920x1080
H:67kHz V:60Hz

PAL: 1920x1080
H:56kHz V:50hz

Notably, the PAL is lower frequency, so it shouldn't be a performance limitation of the AV.io device, and perhaps is something they could remedy with a simple software or firmware update.

Also note the SX730 only does HDMI out in playback, so it's possible it doesn't behave the same as your cam, but the frequency difference seems like a good candidate.