SX420 IS port - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX420 IS port

• 95 Replies
SX420 IS port
« on: 22 / June / 2018, 14:16:44 »
Advertisements
I've been a CHDK user for years with my A570 IS.  While I am a programmer this is my first attempt at a CHDK port.  Can somebody recommend the best port to convert?  The SX410 IS would seem to be a good choice since it is so similar to my SX420 IS.  I tried to attach my firmware dump, but it is over 4,000 kb and the attachment limit is 2,000 kb.  Where can I upload my firmware dump?

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
Re: SX420 IS port
« Reply #1 on: 22 / June / 2018, 15:08:39 »
I've been a CHDK user for years with my A570 IS.  While I am a programmer this is my first attempt at a CHDK port.  Can somebody recommend the best port to convert?  The SX410 IS would seem to be a good choice since it is so similar to my SX420 IS.  I tried to attach my firmware dump, but it is over 4,000 kb and the attachment limit is 2,000 kb.  Where can I upload my firmware dump?
Google Drive can serve if you have it.
I have the source code for firmware 100a, not tested, I do not have a camera.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / June / 2018, 15:16:56 »
Really?  How could you create the port without a camera?  I'll test it ...

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #3 on: 22 / June / 2018, 15:38:57 »
Really?  How could you create the port without a camera?  I'll test it ...
It is not necessary to have a camera.
The source code is here, the version of firmware 100a.
You have to rebuild stubs.
You will probably have to do something, but mostly that's it.

EDIT: Source code removed
« Last Edit: 04 / July / 2018, 05:12:55 by blackhole »

« Reply #4 on: 22 / June / 2018, 16:04:52 »
Thanks Blackhole, I'll work on that.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #5 on: 30 / June / 2018, 05:01:11 »
Thanks Blackhole, I'll work on that.
Is there anything new?
Is your camera firmware 100a?

« Reply #6 on: 02 / July / 2018, 04:55:30 »
Hi!

I am looking to port CHDK to this camera as well.

I am very new to this type of development, and aware that this will take more work than just typing make in the command prompt, but here's what I've tried so far:
- Added blackhole's code do my local repo, ran "make PLATFORM=sx420is PLATFORMSUB=100a" after rebuilding stubs automatically. Had a problem about two undefined stubs - TurnOffBackLight and TurnOnBackLight. So I looked into funcs_by_name.csv and found two that kind of fit the bill? (At this point I should point out again that I'm very new to this kind of development) So I altered stubs_entry_2.S and added the addresses of DispCon_TurnOnBackLight_FW and DispCon_TurnOffBackLight_FW and I finally got it to compile but... It doesn't boot. I tried forcing logging but I can't find any logs, so I guess it's not even getting to that stage?

If you have any suggestion feel free to chime in, even if it's something very evident.
Cheers

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #7 on: 02 / July / 2018, 08:00:42 »
Hi!

I am looking to port CHDK to this camera as well.

I am very new to this type of development, and aware that this will take more work than just typing make in the command prompt, but here's what I've tried so far:
- Added blackhole's code do my local repo, ran "make PLATFORM=sx420is PLATFORMSUB=100a" after rebuilding stubs automatically. Had a problem about two undefined stubs - TurnOffBackLight and TurnOnBackLight. So I looked into funcs_by_name.csv and found two that kind of fit the bill? (At this point I should point out again that I'm very new to this kind of development) So I altered stubs_entry_2.S and added the addresses of DispCon_TurnOnBackLight_FW and DispCon_TurnOffBackLight_FW and I finally got it to compile but... It doesn't boot. I tried forcing logging but I can't find any logs, so I guess it's not even getting to that stage?

If you have any suggestion feel free to chime in, even if it's something very evident.
Cheers
Hi !
I'll send you a test version with a changed boot.c for firmware 100a.
Attached are edited files kbd.c and platform_kbd.h
File kbd.c is not finished but this will be enough for now.

« Reply #8 on: 04 / July / 2018, 05:01:20 »
Hello.
Me and blackhole have been doing some back and forth with builds and crash logs, and we have run out of ideas for the moment. We still haven't managed to get CHDK to boot, and here's the behaviour that I can observe when trying to boot from an SD card:
- If I press the POWER or PLAY button, the lens extends and the camera crashes within two or three seconds. No CHDK logo is visible, only the normal viewfinder in both cases.
- If I press and hold the PLAY button, the lens doesn't extend but the camera still crashes. It doesn't show a CHDK logo, or the play mode interface with the pictures and videos I have taken.

I have attached a ROMLOG of the latest crash, the ISR task seems to be crashing.
Any ideas on how to proceed?
Cheers

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #9 on: 04 / July / 2018, 05:10:01 »
Last used source code and main.bin.dump are attached.
It looks like the camera accepts a locked SD card and nothing more.