hyperfocal distance and my SX100 - page 4 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

hyperfocal distance and my SX100

• 40 Replies
Re: hyperfocal distance and my SX100
« Reply #30 on: 10 / November / 2018, 11:43:47 »
Advertisements
Hi waterwingz/reyalp,
      Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Recently I tried to photograph some large mushrooms, having a DOF in the order of 3 or 4 inches, and I could not get them all in focus. So, I was thinking that the hyperfocal setting, or the DOF, might be somehow applicable to macros.
..... john

Mushrooms can be quite large but if i am assuming you wanted to photograph the normal sized ones you will be loosing too much resloution by keeping the object at 2.5 mtrs if you cannot zoom in to cover 60-70% of the screen.... i have used +4 lens for focussing at a much closer distance however if you want absolutely fantastic results like Reyalp suggested Focus Stacking is the way to go

i have tried focus stacking in the past and had some fascinating results ... which i could never get with regular pics

« Reply #31 on: 10 / November / 2018, 12:25:27 »
i have tried focus stacking in the past and had some fascinating results ... which i could never get with regular pics
link >  DOF Stacking
link >  Technical Aspects of Stacking Macro Images
link >  Image Stacking Software
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #32 on: 11 / November / 2018, 09:11:24 »
Hi waterwingz/reyalp,
      Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Recently I tried to photograph some large mushrooms, having a DOF in the order of 3 or 4 inches, and I could not get them all in focus. So, I was thinking that the hyperfocal setting, or the DOF, might be somehow applicable to macros.
..... john

Mushrooms can be quite large but if i am assuming you wanted to photograph the normal sized ones you will be loosing too much resloution by keeping the object at 2.5 mtrs if you cannot zoom in to cover 60-70% of the screen.... i have used +4 lens for focussing at a much closer distance however if you want absolutely fantastic results like Reyalp suggested Focus Stacking is the way to go

Stacking ..... yes. I may have to go that way.
.... john

« Reply #33 on: 11 / November / 2018, 09:12:45 »
link >  DOF Stacking
link >  Technical Aspects of Stacking Macro Images
link >  Image Stacking Software
Thanks for the shortcuts.
... john

« Reply #34 on: 13 / November / 2018, 19:36:27 »
Thanks again for all your help with this problem.
You've been very patient.
I do have a better handle on it now.
.... john

s/nl/fl/dof/hyp (SX100)
« Reply #35 on: 16 / November / 2018, 12:02:16 »
"s/nl/fl/dof/hyp" This is the readout I get from the DOF calculator, when I use separat or +separa modes. I do not get any reading when it is set to misc or +mis modes. 
When I get a readout in the separat mode, it always seems to be white. When I get a readout in the +separa mode it seems to sometimes be entirely green, or entirely white, or just the hyp number is green.
Questions ......
- Should I get a readout in the misc and/or +mis modes?
- Is the "s" a typo; because everywhere I've seen this readout referred to it says "sd"?
- Do the colour changes from white to green mean anything?
Thanks,
.... john

Offline reyalp

Re: s/nl/fl/dof/hyp (SX100)
« Reply #36 on: 16 / November / 2018, 23:26:40 »
"s/nl/fl/dof/hyp" This is the readout I get from the DOF calculator, when I use separat or +separa modes. I do not get any reading when it is set to misc or +mis modes. 
When I get a readout in the separat mode, it always seems to be white. When I get a readout in the +separa mode it seems to sometimes be entirely green, or entirely white, or just the hyp number is green.
Questions ......
- Should I get a readout in the misc and/or +mis modes?
If "misc values" is also enabled
- Is the "s" a typo; because everywhere I've seen this readout referred to it says "sd"?
It looks like it's SD in misc and S otherwise. This is probably to keep it more compact.
- Do the colour changes from white to green mean anything?
The green is supposed to indicate that the value is "valid"

edit:
I merged this with the other thread since it seems like basically the same subject
« Last Edit: 16 / November / 2018, 23:36:54 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #37 on: 17 / November / 2018, 09:33:37 »
Hi reyalp,
        Thanks for the explanations.
So, if "S" and "HYP" agree (in MF), then I'm good to go, wrt hyperfocal distance being set? Should all settings be green, not just "HYP"?
.... john

Offline reyalp

« Reply #38 on: 17 / November / 2018, 15:07:17 »
Hi reyalp,
        Thanks for the explanations.
So, if "S" and "HYP" agree (in MF), then I'm good to go, wrt hyperfocal distance being set? Should all settings be green, not just "HYP"?
.... john
I haven't looked at what the actual logic behind the green color is and haven't used this feature much.
If S and HYP agree when you have the shutter half pressed, or if you are manually controlling focus distance and aperture, then it should be fine.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #39 on: 17 / November / 2018, 15:19:26 »
Should all settings be green, not just "HYP"?
The logic in the code that draws the S/NL/FL: values - gui_osd_draw_dof( ) - will change the color of each of the three distances individually if CHDK's logic thinks they are valid values.  Hunting down how CHDK decides that is a bit more work than I have time for today.

Edit 1 : the same goes for the DOF/HYP values

Edit 2 : you need to select the "+" option to see the colors (i.e. Show DOF Calculator set to [ +In Mis ] or [ +Sepera ]).  I've learned something new today.

Edit 3 : tested on my S100.  All five values turn green on a half press with a subject that achieves focus lock by the Canon firmware.
« Last Edit: 17 / November / 2018, 15:37:43 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16