Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.8

• 542 Replies
Re: Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.8
« Reply #540 on: 18 / January / 2019, 09:38:46 »
Advertisements
The script will restore the zoom position to the value selected in the script user parameters each time it switches from playback to shooting mode.
Why is that necessary?
Maybe it's not necessary.  But when I wrote the script, I had no way to test every one of the 100 or so Powershot models supported by CHDK.  So I had no way to know if what you see on your camera works for every camera.  But resetting the zoom position always will.

Also, one way to use the "playback" mode for power saving or camera security / cleanliness when you are shooting over long intervals (60 minutes or more) is to allow the lens to retract between shots.  Does the zoom position also restore properly in that case?

For your camera, feel free to just delete the calls to update_zoom(zoom_setpoint) in function activate_display(seconds) at line 368.
« Last Edit: 18 / January / 2019, 09:43:44 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #541 on: 19 / January / 2019, 10:24:58 »
Also, one way to use the "playback" mode for power saving or camera security / cleanliness when you are shooting over long intervals (60 minutes or more) is to allow the lens to retract between shots.  Does the zoom position also restore properly in that case?
The whole thing works for up to a minute. In the Canon UI, there is a time that you can set at the lens goes in. The maximum value is unfortunately 1 minute. Maybe the function can be found in the firmware to increase this value.

I have now taken some temperature measurements (about 2 hours) with the SX50.
RAWOPINT with 20s interval => sensor goes up to 45C
Interval 20s with Playback    => Sensor goes up to a maximum of 36C
Interval 10min with playback => sensor goes up to 27C

« Reply #542 on: 19 / January / 2019, 18:05:59 »
The whole thing works for up to a minute. In the Canon UI, there is a time that you can set at the lens goes in. The maximum value is unfortunately 1 minute. Maybe the function can be found in the firmware to increase this value.
I seem to recall writing a power saving script at one point that would (amongst other things) briefly toggle from playback to shooting to playback every 58 seconds. That left the lens out while lowering power consumption thru disabling the sensor in playback. I rationalized that the energy used to toggle modes was less than the energy needed to run the motors that would retract / extend the lens.

Extending the retract delay time seems possible but unless @srsa_4c has found a likely prop case or function in his explorations, somebody will need to do a lot of reverse assembly work to find it.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16