Problem with Powershot A590 IS usb remote shutter - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Problem with Powershot A590 IS usb remote shutter

• 2 Replies
Problem with Powershot A590 IS usb remote shutter
« on: 15 / February / 2019, 13:07:53 »
Advertisements
I recently installed CHDK on my two powershots A590 IS and I didn't experience any problems in doing so.  The problem started when I build the usb remote shutter release cable. 
I followed this tutorial to the letter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqtsRrTpgA
I checked the cable thouroughly, I measured the voltages and the it is my understanding that the cable is okay.
Problem is that it doesn't work with my cameras. 
I changed the settings to 'remote control' but when I have OSD on there is a little menu that you can use when you press the shutter in to the first position (than using the arrow keys you can select various items).  So if I push the shutter on the camera everything is okay but when I push the switch on the usb cable, the camera doesn't even recognize this as a shutter press down.
Can anyone help me out?
« Last Edit: 15 / February / 2019, 13:18:10 by Tailgunner »

Re: Problem with Powershot A590 IS usb remote shutter
« Reply #1 on: 15 / February / 2019, 13:28:44 »
I followed this tutorial to the letter  ....

.... Problem is that it doesn't work with my cameras.
That's a nice mostly correct video but if you want all the details of using a USB remote then this CHDK wikia page might be of more help : CHDK USB Remote

I changed the settings to 'remote control' but when I have OSD on there is a little menu that you can use when you press the shutter in to the first position (than using the arrow keys you can select various items).  So if I push the shutter on the camera everything is okay but when I push the switch on the usb cable, the camera doesn't even recognize this as a shutter press down.
Can anyone help me out?
What you are seeing is normal.  While you can use the a "half press" of the shutter button to trigger certain CHDK functions, the USB remote will not do that.  It is only for actually taking a photograph. When CHDK is not in <ALT> mode and the camera is in shooting mode, closing the USB switch causes a picture to be taken (assuming you have correctly configured all the options in the configuration menu - see the wikia page linked above)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Problem with Powershot A590 IS usb remote shutter
« Reply #2 on: 15 / February / 2019, 21:16:34 »
Yes, thank you for the info.  I solved my problem.  The settings needed some adjustement. :)