Seeking Service Manual for ELPH/IXUS 160 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Seeking Service Manual for ELPH/IXUS 160

• 4 Replies

Offline Sdack

Seeking Service Manual for ELPH/IXUS 160
« on: 10 / March / 2019, 20:23:23 »
Advertisements
Hi folks,

I've managed to brick three of my IXUS 160s.  Don't ask how I managed to do it three times!

I suspect I delivered more volts than they wanted and a fuse has blown, thanks to a cheap/dodgy buck converter, coupled with my stupidity.  However no blue smoke escaped and there was no ozony smell, so I live in hope I could resurrect them.

So, for the first time, I've had the courage to disassemble one and it wasn't quite as bad as I expected.  No springs flying out or electric shocks from the flash capacitor, as yet.

Unfortunately none of the surface mount items on the PCB show any signs of 'fusing' and I can't identify which part the fuse might be.

I did manage to track down a couple of photos of the main PCB

So if anyone can point to the fuse that'd be great.  I plan to short it rather than attempt to replace.

While looking for a service manual I found a handy looking site full of camera service manuals but sadly not the Ixus 160

https://smpcshop.com/Canon-Cameras-Service-Manuals/

and here's another resource which lists parts for cameras (it's russian and needs a bit of translating)

https://photo-parts.com.ua/parts/dbphp.php?part=ixus

If anyone has got a service manual for the IXUS 160, please share a link.  Or any advice on how to resuccitate my cameras would be most welcome.  Apart from buying better quality buck converters!

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Online reyalp

Re: Seeking Service Manual for ELPH/IXUS 160
« Reply #1 on: 11 / March / 2019, 02:47:01 »
It's possible that if you can find a service manual for another comparatively recent ELPH/IXUS it would give you enough of a hint to recognize the components.

I found a CANON-PowerShot-SD750-DIGITAL-ELPH-DIGITAL-IXUS-75-IXY-DIGITAL-90-Parts-List.pdf which indicates a fuse for those cameras. This is probably too old to be relevant to yours, but perhaps there are more recent equivalents floating around.

edit:
You could also call Canon and ask. Worst they can do is say no. (But please don't bring CHDK into the conversation ;))
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2019, 02:49:04 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Sdack

« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2019, 05:44:35 »
Hi Reyalp,
I hope you are traveling well.
Good suggestion.. I'll give my local Canon Service a call tomorrow but be sure not to mention CHDK.
Cheers
Nigel

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 11 / March / 2019, 15:15:00 »
I've managed to brick three of my IXUS 160s.  Don't ask how I managed to do it three times!

I suspect I delivered more volts than they wanted and a fuse has blown, thanks to a cheap/dodgy buck converter, coupled with my stupidity.
Are you absolutely sure that it was the power supply's fault, or something you did? There have been a few unlucky users of this model who found their cameras bricked after trying CHDK.
It would be useful to know the exact CHDK version (revision) that you used on those cams.
Unfortunately none of the surface mount items on the PCB show any signs of 'fusing' and I can't identify which part the fuse might be.
I think the fuses might be the small black parts beside the battery contacts (one has O written on it, the other one has J). The pic is from my ixus150, probably very similar to your cam.

Offline Sdack

« Reply #4 on: 11 / March / 2019, 17:29:59 »
Hi  srsa_4c,
Thanks heaps for chipping in.  I guess I could short one of those at a time and see if that works.

Yes I'm absolutely sure it was me and the buck converters.  I've been running CHDK happily for a couple of years on these Ixus 160 (always instal latest version with CHIMP).

I'll have go tonight and report back.
Sdack