Quick question on SX50 CHDK 1.4.1 release and how to navigate the menu? - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Quick question on SX50 CHDK 1.4.1 release and how to navigate the menu?

• 21 Replies

Offline Hmm

Advertisements
I'm starting to get back into photography. I don't like the 15 second limitation for the stock settings. I'd like to increase it and that would be the only reason to do the hack and if the build is stable.

How does one know if this version has increased the shutter speed to a minute or more:  [size=78%]http://mighty-hoernsche.de/bins/sx50hs-100c-1.4.1-5167-full.zip[/size]

Finally, is there a link on how to use, navigate the CHDK menu?
« Last Edit: 13 / April / 2019, 18:05:14 by Hmm »

How does one know if this version has increased the shutter speed to a minute or more:  http://mighty-hoernsche.de/bins/sx50hs-100c-1.4.1-5167-full.zip[/font]
You could probably read through the testing information disclosed in the SX50HS porting thread on this forum. Of just take my word for it that it works - I have two SX50's and use CHDK with both.

Hmmm .... CHDK User Manual : CHDK Main Menu ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Hmm

How does one know if this version has increased the shutter speed to a minute or more:  http://mighty-hoernsche.de/bins/sx50hs-100c-1.4.1-5167-full.zip
You could probably read through the testing information disclosed in the SX50HS porting thread on this forum. Of just take my word for it that it works - I have two SX50's and use CHDK with both.

Hmmm .... CHDK User Manual : CHDK Main Menu ?

Thanks for the info.

I have loaded the firmware. I changed the long exposure to 59 seconds. However, the camera menu still shows 15 seconds, will it always show 15 seconds as the max and should I wish to use an exposure of 10 seconds, do I do so within the native Canon menu or CHDK?

Speaking of menu, is there a way to remove some of the information which is on top of the others in the native menu?

Much thanks.
« Last Edit: 13 / April / 2019, 19:30:03 by Hmm »

I have loaded the firmware.
Technically it's just software, not firmware. An important distinction as that's why it makes no permanent changes to your camera.

I changed the long exposure to 59 seconds. However, the camera menu still shows 15 seconds, will it always show 15 seconds as the max
This is normal - the Canon firmware does not know that CHDK is going to change some of the exposure settings as the image is taken. Which raises a small issue - you should really set Tv, Av, and Sv if you choose to set any one if them. Otherwise Canon will set the values you don't override and the exposure will most likely be off as it does not know what your setting will be.

Should I wish to use an exposure of 10 seconds, do I do so within the native Canon menu or CHDK?
Per my comment above, use the Canon menu below 15 seconds so that you don't have to also set the Av and Sv settings.

Speaking of menu, is there a way to remove some of the information which is on top of the others in the native menu?
See the OSD section in the manual I linked previously.

Offline Hmm

Thank you waterwingz!

What is Sv? I googled it but I wasn't able to find out what it is.

What is Sv?
Sv is short for "speed value" - also called ISO setting.  Determines the camera's sensor sensitivity to light.

Just like Av is "aperture value" - also called f-stop.

And Tv is "time value" - also called shutter speed.

Edit : now that I think about it, maybe Sv is short for "sensitivity value"?  "speed value" could just be my film photography roots talking.
« Last Edit: 13 / April / 2019, 21:29:04 by waterwingz »

Offline Hmm

What is Sv?Sv is short for "speed value" - also called ISO setting.  Determines the camera's sensor sensitivity to light.Just like Av is "aperture value" - also called f-stop.And Tv is "time value" - also called shutter speed.Edit : now that I think about it, maybe Sv is short for "sensitivity value"?  "speed value" could just be my film photography roots talking.

Thanks. I knew what Av and Tv stands for. I never heard (or seen) Sv before so I was stumped.
« Last Edit: 13 / April / 2019, 22:11:16 by Hmm »

Thanks. I knew what Av and Tv stands for. I never heard (or seen) Sv before so I was stumped.

link > APEX.PDF

Doug Kerr calls it "speed value" so I guess I had that right.  I've linked the definitive article above - it does a nice job of explaining the relationship between Tv, Av, Sv, and Bv. 

Note that Canon and CHDK use a scaled version of Tv,Av,SV, & Bv.  The actual values are multiplied by 96 to make integer math more effective to use.  And it also gives you the ability to express things in evenly in 1/2 or 1/3 f-stop increments.

Offline c_joerg

Note that Canon and CHDK use a scaled version of Tv,Av,SV, & Bv.  The actual values are multiplied by 96 to make integer math more effective to use.
So the APEX96 Values are CHDK specific?

M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

So the APEX96 Values are CHDK specific?
Canon uses APEX96 values internally in its firmware.  CHDK just follows that convention.