Remote shutter behaviour - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Remote shutter behaviour

• 4 Replies
Remote shutter behaviour
« on: 15 / April / 2019, 10:27:46 »
Advertisements
Hello there!
A few days ago I made this cable system to power the camera (sx210) and shutter from usb adapter or power bank, you can see the in the picture.
So it takes directly 5v to the dummy battery from usb to the barrel connector. The mini usb is connected to the same ground and the positive is cut by the switch.

It all works fine but before I could hold the pushbutton down and the camera would keep focus in half shutter and then take the picture on release.
Now when I press the button a picture is taken immediatly.
Chdk remote setting has always been onepush and normal.
Could this be due to the higher resistance of the cable with all the jack connectors and solder joints? I have measured and it's allways below 1 ohm.

I would gladly appreciate any input!

Re: Remote shutter behaviour
« Reply #1 on: 15 / April / 2019, 11:21:30 »
So it takes directly 5v to the dummy battery from usb to the barrel connector.
The battery in an SX210 is a standard Canon NB-5L that puts out about 3.7V.   If you are feeding +5V in directly to the dummy battery (i.e. your dummy battery does not drop the +5V to ~3.7V) then you might be risking damage to your camera?
The mini usb is connected to the same ground and the positive is cut by the switch.
I think I follow your description but a wiring diagram (even hand drawn) would probably help confirm that what you have done is correct.
It all works fine but before I could hold the pushbutton down and the camera would keep focus in half shutter and then take the picture on release.
That's the normal action when Switch Type [ OnePush ] and Control Mode [ Normal ] are selected.
Now when I press the button a picture is taken immediately. Chdk remote setting has always been onepush and normal.
Did you double check that they have not changed - what you describe is the normal action when Control Mode [ Quick ] is selected.
Could this be due to the higher resistance of the cable with all the jack connectors and solder joints? I have measured and it's allways below 1 ohm.
I doubt any cable resistance would cause this. However if the +5V pin on your miniUSB connector does not give a reliable +5V when you close your switch then CHDK might be seeing and "press" and "release".  Do you have a volt meter that you can test this with?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 15 / April / 2019, 12:44:16 »
The battery in an SX210 is a standard Canon NB-5L that puts out about 3.7V.   If you are feeding +5V in directly to the dummy battery (i.e. your dummy battery does not drop the +5V to ~3.7V) then you might be risking damage to your camera?
there seems to be no problem so far.. fully charged original battery is at 4.25V and power bank is at 4.9 when under load.
I think I follow your description but a wiring diagram (even hand drawn) would probably help confirm that what you have done is correct.
I made a scheme omitting the various connectors, should make no difference.

Did you double check that they have not changed - what you describe is the normal action when Control Mode [ Quick ] is selected.
Yes I am in onepush normal
I doubt any cable resistance would cause this. However if the +5V pin on your miniUSB connector does not give a reliable +5V when you close your switch then CHDK might be seeing and "press" and "release".  Do you have a volt meter that you can test this with?
Yes I have already measured and there is no change in voltage, just reliable 0.150mV off to 4.9V on.

This is why I came to ask here, I am quite puzzled :/
By the way I already made a previous trigger, at first just a cut usb cable with the positive exposed, later added a 3,5mm jack and the puchbutton in first picture and it was working fine. I tore it apart for testing other ideas. also tried with another pushbutton-jack cable with same results..

« Reply #3 on: 15 / April / 2019, 14:02:19 »
Very puzzling.  Especially as you have stated that it worked originally and then stopped working.

Did you change anything between the last time that it worked and when it stopped working?  Even some small change that you are certain would have no effect?

I'm at a loss unless the overvoltage on the battery is causing issues... what happens if you just plug in a normal battery in the place of your dummy and then test the switch action?

I've attached a simple test script - start it running and then toggle your switch on & off and see what happens?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 15 / April / 2019, 17:24:41 »
Ok so I managed to get it working now.
Changed some settings back and forth, I think the sync was culprit albeit being disabled.

Thank you very much for your help it has got me to finally solve this!