New User Request for HELP Please - IR, Motion Detection and Email Push - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

New User Request for HELP Please - IR, Motion Detection and Email Push

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Hello!  I am a new user to this Forum.  I am looking for a solution that would allow me to use a Canon P & S digital camera to take pics 24 x 7 of the front or rear license plates of cars and small trucks approaching my home coming up a long driveway. 

In my limited research so far, I believe this will require the following features;
IR capability for night time shots
Motion detection
Wi-Fi connectivity to local PC or NVR with email push

I think this application has many applications in the residential security market, especially for people in remote areas where the only internet connectivity is a 4G LTE wireless carrier.   I have a security camera system, however, before I pay for a cloud service, I want to make certain that I really need it. Unfortunately, most Wireless LTE carriers force you to purchase a very expensive static IP address to log into an NVR.
I thought I would query this community for a possible creative solution.  I need to implement this solution within the next 120 days if possible.  I am greatful for your knowledgible,frank, and candid replies.  I am aware of a similar solution that requires the use of two 4G smartphones, which is OK, however, it also requires the use of two dedicated smartphone line accounts.  Your confirmed and validated suggestions are welcome and appreciated

Offline reyalp

In my limited research so far, I believe this will require the following features;
IR capability for night time shots
AFAIK no CHDK supported cameras have IR capability from the factory. To shoot IR, you need to physically remove the IR cut filter, which requires non-trivial hardware modification. You should be able to find some examples in the forum or google. There have also been some vendors who offered this a service for astrophotography.

For CHDK, the only alternative would be a visible light, perhaps also motion triggered.

Edit:
Also note that if you remove the IR filter, colors will be wildly wrong.

Motion detection
CHDK supports motion detection on pretty much every camera. Some scripting would most likely be required to integrate it with proposed system.

Wi-Fi connectivity to local PC or NVR with email push
CHDK does not currently support wifi connectivity in any way. The native wifi support in Canon firmware is likely not sufficient to implement this. You can control the camera with raspberry pi or similar over USB (using the PTP extension https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/PTP_Extension) and then use the pi for wireless connectivity. The webcams on http://escursionisticivatesi.it/webcam/ use this approach.

wifi SD cards might be another option, like eyefi or some hackable cards like https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11262.0

Doing what you described with CHDK will be a significant project.  You might be better off with an off the shelf security system, something built on raspberry pi without CHDK, or perhaps a wildlife/trail camera.

If you want to go DIY, the raspberry pi approach seems attractive, AFAIK the cameras are available without IR cut, and network support is very good, with either wifi or cellular.

Unfortunately, most Wireless LTE carriers force you to purchase a very expensive static IP address to log into an NVR.
It seems like this should be solvable by using a tunnel or VPN of some sort.

You might be interested in this project: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12942.0 (I don't know what the current status is)

« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2019, 17:43:02 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
I'm thinking this is an overly complex idea and you can solve it today by readily available equipment.

most decent security cams have the option to save images on a ftp server and have ir capabilitys, they also come with motion detection and the capability to send images to your phone via your router/modems connection.

a modem that has a few usb ports (like a fritzbox) can create a ftp server and support 3/4G usb sticks>
so i would go for saving on that ftp server if you do not want to be bothered with an expensive phone bill.

when i lived in the middle of the forest i had several hooked up this way with poe cams.
I still have one lying in a drawer with a 50mm lens that made licence plate numbers at 30-50 meter distance.
however if little/no moon was present IR capability alone was not enough, only rear plates (after driving away) were visible then.
« Last Edit: 17 / May / 2019, 03:11:18 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress