Chdk developer needed - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Chdk developer needed

• 27 Replies
Chdk developer needed
« on: 06 / June / 2019, 07:00:00 »
Advertisements
Hi
I am looking for someone for pay, who would be willing to write a little script for canon cameres, that would disable a specific option from the device,
Anyone intrested pls contact me

Re: Chdk developer needed
« Reply #1 on: 06 / June / 2019, 08:20:40 »
You can probably get a script like that for free if you provide more details here.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 06 / June / 2019, 13:53:29 »
I am looking for a way to disable the WiFi connection

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 06 / June / 2019, 18:19:05 »
I don't know if this is supposed to be a security measure or something, but anything done from CHDK can be easily defeated by ... not starting CHDK (unlocking the card for example).
Does the camera in question even have a CHDK port?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 06 / June / 2019, 22:58:34 »
I don't know if this is supposed to be a security measure or something, but anything done from CHDK can be easily defeated by ... not starting CHDK (unlocking the card for example).
Does the camera in question even have a CHDK port?
Agree, it would definitely help to know which camera and the specific goal. If it's just to prevent accidentally activating wifi mode, that could probably be done pretty easily with a custom build, assuming the camera is ported.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 07 / June / 2019, 06:50:55 »
The truth is that I am looking for a way to disable it permanently on the most canon cameres possible,
But i figured that chdk will be a good way to start, if I could find something that will disable the use of WiFi, then i could try to figure out how to burn it on for good,
If anyone could help me out, I would be more then willing to pay nicley.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 07 / June / 2019, 18:02:15 »
The truth is that I am looking for a way to disable it permanently on the most canon cameres possible,
This is an odd request.  What is your actual, specific use case for this?

Wifi is only enabled when you turn it on in the Canon UI, so in general, if you don't want it, you can just not use it. As I mentioned, if you want to stop people from inadvertently activating it with the shortcut button, this could probably be done with a custom CHDK build on cameras that are CHDK supported (on some CHDK ports, you can already set that button to be the alt button, which has a similar effect). This would not prevent users for activating it thought menus or by booting without CHDK.

There are also lots of models without wifi, which are likely available for far less money than the fair market value of the kind of development work you are talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 09 / June / 2019, 14:51:03 »
Yeah I know it sounds funny,
But this actually what i am looking for, to disable it on the most possible canon modells
If anyone is intrested contact me, and i will be more then gladly to pay nicely

« Reply #8 on: 11 / June / 2019, 17:32:47 »
So far only one person took intrest in this challenging request,
If anyone else would be intrested in collaborating with him,
And maybe together brainstorm some ideas, and breakthrough some rather odd and impossible sounding requests :)
Feel free to contact me

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 11 / June / 2019, 22:02:20 »
So far only one person took intrest in this challenging request,
If anyone else would be intrested in collaborating with him,
And maybe together brainstorm some ideas, and breakthrough some rather odd and impossible sounding requests :)
Feel free to contact me
Your unwillingness to describe the specifics of your project is a big red flag for me.

If you actually have the money to pay market rates for tens to hundreds of hours of professional reverse engineering, it's very hard to see how this makes any sense.

I encourage anyone considering getting involved to tread carefully.

I tend to interpret rule 4 narrowly, on the basis that open technical discussion benefits the whole community regardless of whether a project commercial, but using this forum simply to recruit for a secret project seems quite inappropriate.