A Few CHDK Questions - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

A Few CHDK Questions

• 23 Replies
A Few CHDK Questions
« on: 08 / June / 2019, 03:47:12 »
Advertisements
I have just now successfully created my first bootable CHDK SD-card and gave it a trial run in the SD880 guinea-pig.
Now, here are the first few of what looks like will be a gazillion questions.

1. I assume I will need unlock the SD-card when I stick it in the reader to offload the images; right?

2. If I use the on-board "Format" in the Canon menu, will it erase CHDK ??

3. If I turn on RAW and leave the DNG option unchecked, what type will my RAW files be ?

4. How do I set CHDK to save both a RAW and a jpeg ?

5. On EDIT: > I just have taken a few photos; I had a white dot on RAW and no white dot on DNG; I unlocked the SD-card, put it in the reader, and I can see a whole bunch of various files, but NO images; what did I do wrong ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: 08 / June / 2019, 04:01:41 by BuckSkin »

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: A Few CHDK Questions
« Reply #1 on: 08 / June / 2019, 08:05:24 »
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. The CHDK raw file is a pure dump of the sensor.
4. A jpg file will saved always, independent of CHDK.
5. Read the manual about RAW/DNG, especially about hot/bad pixel: => https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK_1.4.0_User_Manual#RAW_.28digital_negative.29

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #2 on: 08 / June / 2019, 10:13:47 »
1. I assume I will need unlock the SD-card when I stick it in the reader to offload the images; right?
No  (sorry @msl) - you can copy the images to your PC via its card reader with the lock switch "locked".  You just can't delete them from the card once you are done.

5. I just have taken a few photos; I had a white dot on RAW and no white dot on DNG; I unlocked the SD-card, put it in the reader, and I can see a whole bunch of various files, but NO images; what did I do wrong ?
This may depend on the program you are using on your PC.  The "white dot" on RAW tells CHDK to save RAW sensor info to a file. It's not formatted as an image so not every photo program can read them but some can.

Also, the Canon PC tools or other photo programs may only show JPG files (and video files of course).  Using Window's File Explorer you should be able to see all the files, including files with a RAW or DNG extension.

5. Read the manual about RAW/DNG, especially about hot/bad pixel: => https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK_1.4.0_User_Manual#RAW_.28digital_negative.29
@msl :  I don't think the OP has reached the stage of being able to open the files yet.
« Last Edit: 08 / June / 2019, 10:17:56 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #3 on: 08 / June / 2019, 10:27:14 »
Ok.
1. No & Yes  :haha
"offload" means for me download and delete the pictures. But you are right. Your description is better. ;)

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #4 on: 08 / June / 2019, 10:41:54 »
"offload" means for me download and delete the pictures.
I actually agree with your definition. But @BuckSkin is struggling with file naming issues and  other computer difficulties so I tried to simplify his solution space.   8)

« Reply #5 on: 08 / June / 2019, 11:31:31 »
Regarding my #5 above: I have taken four test images.
The camera display screen says RAW + Large jpeg.
I can view these images on the camera.
Always before CHDK, when I viewed the card on the PC, I had two folders in the "root"; DCIM and MISC. Inside DCIM were my image folders plus another MISC folder.
With CHDK on the card, I have no folders at all.
Here is the contents of the CHDK card after taking four test shots (I don't know why it made two attachments):

« Reply #6 on: 08 / June / 2019, 11:46:09 »
With CHDK on the card, I have no folders at all.
How big is your SD card?  If it's more than 4G then STICK setup a dual partition card for you as your old SD980 is incapable of using partitions bigger than 4G.  Your missing folders are on the second partition.

The most recent version of Windows 10 will let you see both partitions. Earlier releases of Windows require tricks to get at the other partition.

Edit : IIRC the trick is to go to the CHDK Miscellaneous Stuff menu and select SD Card.  In that menu, pick the Swap Partition option.  Then exit the CHDK menus and power off the camera.  When you put the SD card in your computer the image folders should now be visible.  The tricky part now is rebooting - you will need to use the Firmware Update method of booting, go to the SD card menu again, and Swap the partitions back.  There is also a utility for your PC that will do the same thing :  WASP
« Last Edit: 08 / June / 2019, 11:53:31 by waterwingz »

« Reply #7 on: 08 / June / 2019, 13:05:14 »
How big is your SD card?

Card is 8GB; it was all I had to experiment with.

Looking in Disk Management, I see the two partitions, a 16 MB Primary partition that has a Drive Letter and 7.5 GB partition with no letter.
What would be the outcome if I added a Drive Letter to the 7.5 GB partition ?
Maybe even better, what if I removed the letter from the 16 MB partition and assigned it to the 7.5 GB partition ?
I believe the reason Windows is not seeing the photo partition is due to the lack of a Drive Letter; would swapping the letter from one partition to the other have a negative effect when the card is in the camera ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

« Reply #8 on: 08 / June / 2019, 14:10:38 »
Card is 8GB; it was all I had to experiment with.
Nothing wrong with that - and knowing your card size lets us know exactly what is happening.

What would be the outcome if I added a Drive Letter to the 7.5 GB partition ?
Worth a shot - see what happens?

I believe the reason Windows is not seeing the photo partition is due to the lack of a Drive Letter;
Maybe.

would swapping the letter from one partition to the other have a negative effect when the card is in the camera ?
The very worst case would mean you have to reformat the card. Not exactly a problem during testing.

« Reply #9 on: 08 / June / 2019, 15:28:55 »
would swapping the letter from one partition to the other have a negative effect when the card is in the camera ?
The very worst case would mean you have to reformat the card. Not exactly a problem during testing.

Well...., scratch that idea; not giving any real reason, Windows Disk Management would not allow the swap; I then tried EaseUS Partition Master, which has often done thinks that Windows DM balked at, and still a no-go, except this time with a very well explained reason --- Windows will only permit the first Primary partition of removable storage to have a Drive Letter.
I guess our numerous partitioned external HDDs are exempt from this silly business.