My Camera Crashed !!! - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

My Camera Crashed !!!

• 5 Replies
My Camera Crashed !!!
« on: 14 / June / 2019, 21:13:23 »
Advertisements
It has been six days since I jumped into this CHDK business and sometimes I sink more than swim, but I am persistent if nothing else.

I was taking a few pictures yesterday evening when I half-pressed the shutter to focus; at this point, an orange light started flashing and a little camera icon on the screen started winking.

I went ahead and pressed the shutter to take the picture; the shutter did it's think and the camera froze up; the screen went blank and was faintly lit blue-grey; and, that orange light just kept on flashing.

Had I have left it to it's own resources, it would have kept it up until the battery died.
I had no control whatsoever.
Finally, I opened the battery door and loosened the battery enough to break contact.
The camera shut down, but the lens remained extended.

I pressed the Play button, the lens retracted, and the camera fired up as good as new; everything seemed to be okay until I tried to take another picture, at which point everything froze up again, except for that flashing orange light.

I put in a fresh battery and tried a brand-new SD-card minus CHDK; I could once again take pictures, but now I was constantly getting the flashing orange light and winking camera icon at every half-press of the shutter, yet everything else worked.

Someone suggested setting everything back to default settings; I tried that and everything started working as it should.
I reinstated all of my settings and all worked fine.

I tried the CHDK card again and the camera froze up again.

I could get everything set back to rights with the other card and retry the CHDK card and lose everything again.

So, I had to use EaseUS Partition Master (Windows Disk Management would not do it) to delete the logical volume from the CHDK card and extend the boot partition to become a full capacity single partition card again.

Before merging the partitions, I formatted both of them to remove any corrupted data.

I used Stick to reinstall CHDK anew, put the card back in the camera, and everything works once again.

I don't know what caused my scenario, nor what caused CHDK to become corrupted; but, it can and did happen.

So, if a similar event ever happens to anyone else, just purge the CHDK card and reinstall CHDK again and the problems will maybe go away.

Thanks for reading; I hope this helps someone else. 

Canon PowerShot SD880 IS

Offline reyalp

Re: My Camera Crashed !!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 / June / 2019, 21:42:10 »
I put in a fresh battery and tried a brand-new SD-card minus CHDK; I could once again take pictures, but now I was constantly getting the flashing orange light and winking camera icon at every half-press of the shutter, yet everything else worked.
It's hard to be sure without actually seeing it, but this sounds like the normal camera response to low light. IMO, it's extremely unlikely it would have anything to do with the crash.

The hanging or not while using CHDK is also more likely to be due to some specific combination of actions, settings and shooting condition than anything to do with re-formatting the card. If you can figure specific steps to reproduce it, we may be able to fix it.

It's possible we can get some information about the original crash if you get the ROMLOG. You can do this in CHDK by going to miscellaneous stuff -> Debug -> Save ROM crash log. If the camera has a crashlog saved on internal memory, it will be copied to a file in the root of your SD card called ROMLOG.LOG. If there is one, please post it here as an attachment. Since the camera apperently hung rather than shutting down after the error, it's quite possible it didn't record one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 14 / June / 2019, 22:17:28 »
It's possible we can get some information about the original crash if you get the ROMLOG. You can do this in CHDK by going to miscellaneous stuff -> Debug -> Save ROM crash log. If the camera has a crashlog saved on internal memory, it will be copied to a file in the root of your SD card called ROMLOG.LOG. If there is one, please post it here as an attachment. Since the camera apperently hung rather than shutting down after the error, it's quite possible it didn't record one.

If I understand, this ROMLOG may possibly be stored in the camera's memory and not on the card; I do the CHDK debug thing and it will then copy this log onto the card, right ?

I will see what I can come up with.

I really wasn't making notes of what I was doing prior to the crash and can't remember just what I may have done that could have brought it on.

I did set a TV over-ride and relocated some of the CHDK screen icons such that they did not interfere with the camera's icons; I haven't yet messed with any scripts as they are still way beyond my learning.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 15 / June / 2019, 00:11:03 »
If I understand, this ROMLOG may possibly be stored in the camera's memory and not on the card; I do the CHDK debug thing and it will then copy this log onto the card, right ?
Correct.

I really wasn't making notes of what I was doing prior to the crash and can't remember just what I may have done that could have brought it on.
That's OK. If it happens again, maybe a pattern will emerge... and if it doesn't happen again, that's OK too :)

« Reply #4 on: 15 / June / 2019, 15:38:19 »
It's possible we can get some information about the original crash if you get the ROMLOG.

Here is the ROMLOG; it is dated 9th and the events happened on 13th; so, it may not be of any benefit.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 15 / June / 2019, 15:49:09 »
Here is the ROMLOG; it is dated 9th and the events happened on 13th; so, it may not be of any benefit.
Yeah, assuming the date is set correctly on your camera, that means it's from a different event. Not surprising if the camera hung, usually when a romlog is generated, the camera shuts down.