Ixus 185 porting thread - page 6 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

Ixus 185 porting thread

• 68 Replies
Re: Ixus 185 porting thread
« Reply #50 on: 25 / August / 2019, 14:44:59 »
Advertisements
It looks like this camera does not have a ELPH equivalent.

Alas, it does. That's ELPH 185.

I believe this warrants changing the PLATFORM to ixus185_elph185 (and updating camera_list.csv).
« Last Edit: 25 / August / 2019, 14:48:05 by dmitrys »
Author of CHIMP, Canon Hack Installation and Management Platform

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #51 on: 25 / August / 2019, 15:16:03 »
Alas, it does.
You can surely come up with a photo showing an actual Elph 185 or anyone selling them...?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #52 on: 25 / August / 2019, 15:18:39 »
Alas, it does. That's ELPH 185.
I guess this is official enough that we can add it, but my impression is it hasn't been sold under that name. It doesn't appear in the Canon USA store https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/powershot-point-and-shoot-digital-cameras and searching "PowerShot Elph 185" only returns the museum link and some irrelevant results. I guess it could have been sold in some "Americas" markets outside the US.

Searching without the quotes gets results like this https://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-0MP-Optical-Digital-Camera/dp/B074F4DPWL (implying that Ixus185 is the same as elph180, which is not true)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #53 on: 25 / August / 2019, 15:32:18 »
I guess this is official enough that we can add it, but my impression is it hasn't been sold under that name. It doesn't appear in the Canon USA store https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/powershot-point-and-shoot-digital-cameras and searching "PowerShot Elph 185" only returns the museum link and some irrelevant results. I guess it could have been sold in some "Americas" markets outside the US.

Searching without the quotes gets results like this https://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-0MP-Optical-Digital-Camera/dp/B074F4DPWL (implying that Ixus185 is the same as elph180, which is not true)

Actually, I discovered this by running a tool of mine that creates a mapping from model ID to model names using ExifTool metadata (and then checks against CHDK source tree for any inconsistencies).

« Reply #54 on: 27 / August / 2019, 06:51:16 »
Hi @srsa_4c,
mftest: the log says passed, the screenshot says failed
Retested and passed; that was a PICNIC. The lens was zoomed in, and the subject distance override was pinned at the minimum focal length for the zoom setting.  I have updated the test procedure wiki page https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Testing.  The test script could probably zoom out to eliminate a potential source of error.
52: That might be a glitch in CHDK. Try overriding SD to something and then enable the Inf setting.
Retested and passed. I suspect I triggered the default script in the original test attempt.
« Last Edit: 27 / August / 2019, 06:54:29 by gjl2599 »
Regards - gjl2599

« Reply #55 on: 27 / August / 2019, 17:17:38 »
Perhaps this might convince you that ELPH 185 is an official model number?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #56 on: 27 / August / 2019, 17:37:40 »
Perhaps this might convince you that ELPH 185 is an official model number?
Nope. The Canon museum link was already convincing enough and more official.
May I ask why you're so keen on adding _elph185 to the port's name? As far as I know, no Elph 185 camera has ever been sold (otherwise a google search would surely bring real hits). Therefore, no-one will try finding a port for their Elph 185 camera.
Also, the Ixus/Elph cameras are marketed as Ixy in Asia. Should we add those names too?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #57 on: 27 / August / 2019, 17:44:00 »
@gjl2599
Are there any remaining issues regarding this model? If not, we should perhaps release this port officially.

« Reply #58 on: 27 / August / 2019, 17:53:38 »
May I ask why you're so keen on adding _elph185 to the port's name? As far as I know, no Elph 185 camera has ever been sold (otherwise a google search would surely bring real hits). Therefore, no-one will try finding a port for their Elph 185 camera.

As already mentioned, metadata for CHIMP is created (semi-)automatically. ExifTool is the source for model IDs (and USB-IDs might be the source for PIDs should CHIMP ever support PTP).

Also, the Ixus/Elph cameras are marketed as Ixy in Asia. Should we add those names too?

Well, in theory, yes. In practice, ixusXXX_elphYYY seems to be the established convention. I'm only asking you to rename just this one platform so the convention is followed.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #59 on: 27 / August / 2019, 18:06:38 »
As already mentioned, metadata for CHIMP is created (semi-)automatically. ExifTool is the source for model IDs (and USB-IDs might be the source for PIDs should CHIMP ever support PTP).
You could just add an exception for this one model.
In practice, ixusXXX_elphYYY seems to be the established convention.
Yes, the reason for that being most users would find either of those in store. Since you won't find an Elph 185 in any store, I see no reason for adding that name.