Testing some - perhaps many - cams with CHDKPTP - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Testing some - perhaps many - cams with CHDKPTP

• 122 Replies

Offline koshy

Re: Testing some - perhaps many - cams with CHDKPTP
« Reply #10 on: 13 / September / 2019, 08:44:49 »
Advertisements
Interestingly, the transfer speeds seem quite low, I'd expect a digic IV cam like Ixus 980 to be more like 30 MBs than ~5. What kind of system are you running these on?
That is neither the fault of the camera nor that of the system. All my computational steam engines have been moved to their own underground realm to do their unearthly buzzing and humming by themselves. Some are seriously disturbed and believe to be jet engines or something. I had enough Cat7 lines put in and thus the USB from the desk is hooked up via some USB over Cat extender. Silence, if you haven't had it for years it's such a blessing. Those extenders are either cheap and USB 1.0 or more expensive and still not "fast". Didin't try the ridiculously expensive ones. The current one is fast enough for most small things. Wouldn't want to go visit the beasts below for each camera :lol. If speed measures were important I could grab some Macbook but I think they aren't...

The "no viewport data" seen on i980 and i860 are another one I've seen intermittently before. I think it happens when the camera is in play and there are no images, but only sometimes. It could also happen if the camera started with a video selected in playback, but I assume that's not the case on your cams.
There were no pictures on the card. I had deleted the test image folders when I started. So, I'll re-run i860 and i980 with a picture and we'll see.
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2019, 08:47:00 by koshy »
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 13 / September / 2019, 15:54:30 »
Interesting setup.
The current one is fast enough for most small things. Wouldn't want to go visit the beasts below for each camera :lol. If speed measures were important I could grab some Macbook but I think they aren't...
Speed logs are not important. When I was looking at the logs, I realized it would be super easy to grep out the xfer lines and get a fairly comprehensive USB speed benchmark, but there's no particular need for that. We know already newer digic are faster than older ones.

However... it's conceivable (unlikely, IMO) that the main bug we're looking for only happens if USB is going near max rate. srsa_4c confirmed ixus110/sd960 was affected and I haven't applied the fix in svn yet, so it might be good to check that one next. If it doesn't fail the xferbug_0x23f4 test with your current setup, try direct connection. If that test does fail, then using the current setup is fine.

There were no pictures on the card. I had deleted the test image folders when I started. So, I'll re-run i860 and i980 with a picture and we'll see.
If you want. It would be nice to understand / fix this issue, but I think it's safe to dismiss as a false positive.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline koshy

« Reply #12 on: 13 / September / 2019, 16:14:16 »
If you want. It would be nice to understand / fix this issue, but I think it's safe to dismiss as a false positive.
This is a little weird, I did the re-tests. i980 was fine 23 passed. I turned it and i860 on by just plugging the USB cable in - which powered on the cams in play mode. i860 failed. It shut down and said "lens error". That is II. Turnig the camera on in Rec mode, then plugging the USB cable in - with installed libUSB driver, so that the lens does not fold shut again - I re-ran the test. It was fine. Still gave the "no viewport data" even though there was a picture to display. Re-iterated, that is IV - same result.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline koshy

« Reply #13 on: 13 / September / 2019, 18:16:07 »
However... it's conceivable (unlikely, IMO) that the main bug we're looking for only happens if USB is going near max rate. srsa_4c confirmed ixus110/sd960 was affected and I haven't applied the fix in svn yet, so it might be good to check that one next. If it doesn't fail the xferbug_0x23f4 test with your current setup, try direct connection. If that test does fail, then using the current setup is fine.
Sure, i110 as requested. I think it fails as expected. I'll be out over the weekend, so this will continue later. Maybe I'll manage a few more today but perhaps not.

Offline koshy

« Reply #14 on: 13 / September / 2019, 18:40:55 »
Two more with all passed. In the remote shooting section there are reports of non implemented FWT, also I didn't turn on continuous shooting prior to testing which I shall try to in the future.

Offline koshy

« Reply #15 on: 13 / September / 2019, 19:12:16 »
On i220 HS as soon as I connect USB and have CHDK I get:
A camera error was detected will shut down automatically Restart Camera E41
LibUSB driver was installed without CHDK, to no avail.

Offline koshy

« Reply #16 on: 13 / September / 2019, 19:16:11 »
I300 shows something

Offline koshy

« Reply #17 on: 13 / September / 2019, 19:17:53 »
I200 has many failures, i240 just one

Offline reyalp

« Reply #18 on: 13 / September / 2019, 19:29:20 »
Sure, i110 as requested. I think it fails as expected.
Yes, that's exactly the expected failure. Confirms the current test setup is fine to detect this problem :)
I'll be out over the weekend, so this will continue later. Maybe I'll manage a few more today but perhaps not.
Take your time, there's definitely no rush on this.

I do really appreciate these mass tests, it's nice to have direct conformation that a lot of ports are mostly working. Between this and the ND filter tests, we're exercising a lot of CHDK functionality.

In the remote shooting section there are reports of non implemented FWT, also I didn't turn on continuous shooting prior to testing which I shall try to in the future.
It's good to test if you remember, but not a big deal.

There are some cameras that can't remoteshoot when cont is enabled (ones with CAM_FILEWRITETASK_MULTIPASS and not CAM_FILEWRITETASK_SEEKS). I think the -cont test will fail in this case, but I'm not sure exactly what will happen. From a quick look, affected cams would be a3200, a3300, a490, a495, a800

edit:
FWIW, you should be able to use 2>&1 to save the stderr in the log instead of needing a screenshot. Like
Code: [Select]
chdkptp -e"exec require'camtests'.runbatch{bench=true,xfersizebugs=true,shoot=true,filexfer=true}" > i200.log 2>&1
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2019, 19:32:06 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline koshy

« Reply #19 on: 13 / September / 2019, 20:08:54 »
FWIW, you should be able to use 2>&1 to save the stderr in the log instead of needing a screenshot. Like
Code: [Select]
chdkptp -e"exec require'camtests'.runbatch{bench=true,xfersizebugs=true,shoot=true,filexfer=true}" > cam.log 2>&1
Neat, thanks.