Difference between Canon CRW and CHDK CRW? - page 3 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum  

Difference between Canon CRW and CHDK CRW?

• 24 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Difference between Canon CRW and CHDK CRW?
« Reply #20 on: 23 / July / 2010, 17:20:34 »
Advertisements
Maybe with an insight on C/C++ programming and on where/how to store exif data in a raw file
The CHDK "raw" is a byte for byte copy of the sensor frame buffer. There is no appropriate place to put other data. The tools that do understand non-format use file size as a hint for what camera it came from.

There is some argument to be made for creating a well specified CHDK specific raw format, but most of us would rather not proliferate even more ad-hoc file formats. If I did make this format, it would be an almost valid DNG (exactly the current CHDK DNG, without bytes reverse or badpixels removed) prefixed by a very small CHDK specific header.

I as I said before DNG contains exactly the same data, except for that known bad pixels are interpolated over, as required by the DNG spec. The byte order is also reversed. If you extract the raw data chunk from the DNG and reverse the bytes, you will have a valid CHDK raw.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #21 on: 02 / August / 2010, 20:35:58 »
reyalp, thanks a lot for explaining.

« Reply #23 on: 02 / January / 2015, 19:08:08 »
so sorry but lost.-- my G7 with CHDK is not being recognized by Photoshop. there are in a .CRW format. i am getting a message that the file is either damaged or not recognized.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #24 on: 02 / January / 2015, 19:23:22 »
so sorry but lost.-- my G7 with CHDK is not being recognized by Photoshop. there are in a .CRW format. i am getting a message that the file is either damaged or not recognized.
I'd suggest using DNG rather than CHDK raw.  If you already have shots you want to keep as CHDK .CRW (which as described above, is not ever really a format) then you need to use one of the tools that understands that. DNG4PS2 and dcraw are examples. Many other image converters also use dcraw code.
Don't forget what the H stands for.