A couple of Multicam doubts and general help - page 9 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A couple of Multicam doubts and general help

• 83 Replies
Re: A couple of Multicam doubts and general help
« Reply #80 on: 04 / December / 2019, 11:01:59 »
Advertisements
Something like this... Or a 2A on each of the cameras, instead.
That's correct.  Note that diodes are polarity sensitive - although nothing breaks if you put them in backwards here - it just won't work.  For most diodes, there is a  band printed around one end of the diode that shows the end to connect to the cameras. 

If you try to measure voltage without the cameras connected you will not see any voltage drop - current needs to flow for that to happen. So turn the voltage adjust on the power supply to the lowest output voltage, install the diode(s), connect the cameras, power everything up, and check the voltage after the diode.

Also, you need plain old Si (silicon) diodes - not schottky diodes. See what you can find from your electronics supplier and post a part number for me to check?

In any case, I may temporarily leave this out.  There's 0,5V excess, as long as the power source can keep up with it, the cameras should be fine right?
It will probably work fine - there is usually a "safety margin" built into most electronic designs.   

That being said, those little cameras were not designed to run continuously - most people turn them on, take a couple of photos, and turn them off.  You, on the other hand, could be running them continuously for hours so there is going to be a lot more heat build-up than they were designed for.  Made even worse by running them with too high a voltage on the input terminals (= more heat).   

It's your decision of course.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #81 on: 04 / December / 2019, 11:13:20 »

See what you can find from your electronics supplier and post a part number for me to check?
I will, I recently found a great electronics store nearby. I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting them frequently from now on.
those little cameras were not designed to run continuously - most people turn them on, take a couple of photos, and turn them off. 
I'm aware of this, always been careful not to have them on for too long. Once the rig is 100% up and running I'll implement the necessary precautions to have it working safely for longer periods. For now, there's a lot of testing to be done, I'll be careful. :)

« Reply #82 on: 24 / December / 2019, 08:25:58 »
Hi guys, no major updates in the project. Lately I've been working in the hardware side, adding more cameras, improving cabling, lighting, etc... I recently bought a 3D printer, I'm quite new to this, but it's turned out to be extremely useful to create proper dummies and supports for the cameras and different parts to aid other needs. I'll be uploading the content I've created to thingiverse so people can make use of it. Since the project started to build up (now I'm in 34 cameras in 360 degrees) progress has slowed down considerably, the amount of work has ramped up and slowly left the CHDK/software part in a secondary place. I'll no doubt be returning to my menu system once the hardware side has been dealt with. Anyway, I wanted to thank all of you again for your support and wish you a very happy Xmas. :)

« Reply #83 on: 24 / December / 2019, 10:21:02 »

I'll be uploading the content I've created to thingiverse so people can make use of it.
Please post a link here when you get it done?  I'll add it the wiki too when you do.

Hope the holiday season goes well for you !

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16