A couple of Multicam doubts and general help - page 7 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

A couple of Multicam doubts and general help

• 81 Replies
Re: A couple of Multicam doubts and general help
« Reply #60 on: 02 / December / 2019, 18:47:43 »
Advertisements
But take a look at the meter, cables are interchangeable, and I still can't find any clear indication of + or - to be sure I had them the right way.
The earth symbol and the letters COM (for common) attached to the lower terminal should have been a clue as well.

:-X

BTW, while checking the dummies I've come to the conclusion I need a different method to make them. .... Do you have any other ideas?
how about this link : 3D Printed Camera Battery Emulator  ??
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #61 on: 02 / December / 2019, 19:06:29 »
how about this link : 3D Printed Camera Battery Emulator  ??
Funny, I found that 3d model some time ago. Having it 3D printed is even more expensive than a 3rd brand working battery!  :lol
Anyway, I'll go shopping connectors tomorrow. Hope I'm lucky, seems like the best idea.

« Reply #62 on: 03 / December / 2019, 02:50:30 »
I can not find the post / picture but someone years ago made fake NL-4B batteries from wood. I've also seen AA batteries made of wood for Canon A series cameras.

« Reply #63 on: 03 / December / 2019, 03:12:34 »
This has been working great for now. There's a big blob of glue instead of tape. But fitting a third (ground) cable in between those two will probably short circuit the whole thing. JST XH connectors have a distance between pins similar to the batteries poles. Will give them a try (if I can find any).

« Reply #64 on: 03 / December / 2019, 03:47:33 »

But fitting a third (ground) cable in between those two will probably short circuit the whole thing.
I must have missed something here. Why are you trying to fit a third wire in there?  Are you going to try camera triggering via the battery third terminal method?

« Reply #65 on: 03 / December / 2019, 04:57:01 »
Maybe I am the one that missed it, but when I had connection problems you suggested I should keep an eye on grounding problems... That's why I'm adding a third wire for ground. Is it not the right thing to do?

« Reply #66 on: 03 / December / 2019, 05:03:32 »
All of my life, red has been positive and black has been negative when doing DC electronics projects. It's kind of an unofficial international standard.
Well, take a look at the wiring at original mercedes charger. I hope that's just an exception...  :D
M100 100a, M3 101a, 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), 2*S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #67 on: 03 / December / 2019, 10:11:06 »
All of my life, red has been positive and black has been negative when doing DC electronics projects. It's kind of an unofficial international standard.
Well, take a look at the wiring at original mercedes charger. I hope that's just an exception...  :D
Regardless of the wire colours that thing uses, having them swap like that when passing through a connector is just frightening.  Especially when you see the damage that a incorrectly connected automotive batttery can do.

« Reply #68 on: 03 / December / 2019, 12:08:42 »
Hey waterwingz, not sure if you read #65. But you left me in doubt, not sure if I should proceed with the new grounded cabling/dummies... Actually, the center pin on the batteries says T, for temperature? Maybe it's not ground? Is it pointless to use it??  :blink:

Offline reyalp

« Reply #69 on: 03 / December / 2019, 12:36:44 »
Hey waterwingz, not sure if you read #65. But you left me in doubt, not sure if I should proceed with the new grounded cabling/dummies... Actually, the center pin on the batteries says T, for temperature? Maybe it's not ground? Is it pointless to use it??  :blink:
Yes, the 3rd battery pin is for the battery thermristor. You should not ground it! (edit: low resistance will make the camera think the battery is on fire ;))
If you want the camera to think there is a battery, you can connect it to - with a ~10k resistor, but normal AC adapters just leave it open circuit.  In CHDK, you can also use it as a remote trigger https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13451.msg137584#msg137584
Don't forget what the H stands for.