Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80

• 30 Replies
Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80
« on: 11 / March / 2020, 13:16:36 »
Advertisements
Hi Guys & Gals,

I have an older Canon Powershot S80 and want to install CHDK so I can use some of its features while the camera is mounted in my radio controlled model aircraft.  I have tried to load both versions of the CHDK and neither will load  :(  When I use the menu to update the firmware, the screen goes black and the green light above the playback button lights for a couple of seconds and then goes out. I am using a 2GB memory card.  Does anyone have any ideas? 
Thanks

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80
« Reply #1 on: 11 / March / 2020, 13:24:25 »
It's possible that the camera has an older firmware version that is not supported. There is some advice here, you can find out the fw version and upgrade if possible.

« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2020, 13:38:53 »
Hmm, thanks for such a quick reply.  I downloaded the update from that link to my SD card (its the only thing on it) but I do not get the option to upload firmware  ???

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 11 / March / 2020, 13:43:58 »
I downloaded the update from that link to my SD card (its the only thing on it) but I do not get the option to upload firmware  ???
That file is a compressed 7z archive. Did you extract the real upgrade file (PSS80.FIR)?

« Reply #4 on: 11 / March / 2020, 13:52:32 »
Ahh, sorry I'm an old [admin: avoid swearing please].  I went to the link and downloaded this PSS80_100g_unoff_update.7Z and put that on the card. 

On the link page there is a little file icon that says PSS.80FIR but I can't do anything with it.  It highlights and I have tried to right mouse click on it and nothing happens, even tried to drag it but no luck.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 11 / March / 2020, 14:53:49 »
On the link page there is a little file icon that says PSS.80FIR but I can't do anything with it.  It highlights and I have tried to right mouse click on it and nothing happens, even tried to drag it but no luck.
Google drive shows no preview in my browser, so I don't know about that icon.
If you downloaded the 7z file, you'd need some software that can decompress it.
To make things easier, I extracted the update file and placed it here temporarily.
Make sure the PSS80.FIR is the only file on the card.

« Reply #6 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:00:45 »
Awesome, thank you very much!!  It's uploaded.  Do I now upload version b or g of the CHDK?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #7 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:05:27 »
Awesome, thank you very much!!  It's uploaded.  Do I now upload version b or g of the CHDK?
If the camera accepted and applied the update, you now have the 100g firmware on it.

« Reply #8 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:17:01 »
Hmm, okay.  I get the message "Updating now!!! Do not turn the power off"  for about 20 seconds and then the display goes blank. I then power the camera up to picture taking mode and there's no CHDK :(  Am I missing a step or is my camera just not loading the firmware properly?  Thanks for your time.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #9 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:23:28 »
Hmm, okay.  I get the message "Updating now!!! Do not turn the power off"  for about 20 seconds and then the display goes blank. I then power the camera up to picture taking mode and there's no CHDK :(  Am I missing a step or is my camera just not loading the firmware properly?  Thanks for your time.
That sounds like something the Canon update would do. You only need to do that step once, if it finished, remove PSS80.FIR from the card and put the extracted CHDK files on it. Get the "full" zip for S80 100g from this page.