problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...) - page 5 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...)

• 47 Replies
Re: problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...)
« Reply #40 on: 29 / March / 2020, 22:38:58 »
Advertisements
Thanks yes for sure its getting stuck on the restart...… don't know why.

what if I try the reboot in the middle of the day when shooting is active? Rather than at night time when its inactive? I don't mind losing 1 shot during the day.

« Reply #41 on: 29 / March / 2020, 22:41:22 »
Thanks yes for sure its getting stuck on the restart...… don't know why.
I've attached a simple reboot test script.  Run it with autostart enabled and disabled and let me know what you see?

what if I try the reboot in the middle of the day when shooting is active? Rather than at night time when its inactive? I don't mind losing 1 shot during the day.
I don't think the time or shooting mode is a factor in the problem.

« Last Edit: 29 / March / 2020, 22:43:11 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #42 on: 30 / March / 2020, 01:01:01 »
Thanks will try this-afternoon. The better half has gone to work and im in "isolation' with 2 year old. . progress may be limited.  :'(

On autostart the script ran, counted down from 5 to 1 then the camera went blank.

I then could not get back into the menu, because every time I pressed the play (alt) button, the script kept running again. Menu button did not seem to do anything nor any of the other buttons.

The ultimate lua runs when I press the play button, after reboot and autostart fails. It is not restarting without the play button being pressed.

Anyway apologies, I'm out for a couple hours. Thanks for all your help. I'm not sure the CHDK hack is something that's robust enough for professional remote field deployment. Each time we go to a site it costs us about $4000 dollars (just to get there and come back again) so we have to be confident the data is there.
I shall not be disheartened. Lets carry on.
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2020, 02:55:40 by Passiflora »

« Reply #43 on: 30 / March / 2020, 02:57:23 »
The problem appears to be in this part of the script:

function camera_reboot()
    activate_display(90)
    switch_mode(PLAYBACK

Is there supposed to be a close bracket at the end of the word playback?

I noticed in another thread they were trying to exit playback mode with another couple of lines, something like:

click("shoot_half")
    exit_alt(0)

Would that be at all useful?

« Reply #44 on: 30 / March / 2020, 02:58:31 »
The problem appears to be in this part of the script:

function camera_reboot()
    activate_display(90)
    switch_mode(PLAYBACK

I noticed in another thread they were trying to exit/enter playback mode with another couple of lines, something like:

click("shoot_half")
    exit_alt(0)

Would that be at all useful?

« Reply #45 on: 30 / March / 2020, 08:28:17 »
Really?  I just downloaded the current version of the script ( v4.8 ) and that round bracket is not missing.   Regardless, that's bad but it's not the problem.  See below.

I noticed in another thread they were trying to exit playback mode with another couple of lines, something like: click("shoot_half") exit_alt(0)  Would that be at all useful?
Ummm ... no.  That might actually be dangerous.

On autostart the script ran, counted down from 5 to 1 then the camera went blank.
I'm starting to suspect that the reboot( ) function is not implemented correctly on the CHDK port for your camera. Or that it works differently than it does on other cameras.   

That in turn suggests your problem is completely unrelated to the ultimate.lua script, other than the fact that the script tries to use the reboot( ) function.

I then could not get back into the menu, because every time I pressed the play (alt) button, the script kept running again. Menu button did not seem to do anything nor any of the other buttons.
Using the MENU button to halt the script is something I built into the ultimate.lua script.   The standard CHDK way to halt or stop a script is to fully click the shutter button.  That applies to the test script I posted.

Please disable Autostart [ * ] in the CHDK script menu and rerun the test.

The ultimate lua runs when I press the play button, after reboot and autostart fails. It is not restarting without the play button being pressed.
When you say that you press the PLAY button, that means you are actually powering up the camera.  If it's actually powered fully off at that point then the reboot() instruction caused it to turn off, not restart.  Not good.

Incidentally, pressing the On/Off button should do the same thing in that case.  You don't need to press PLAY to start the camera if you have CHDK set to autoboot - that's only required for booting in firmware update mode.

I'm not sure the CHDK hack is something that's robust enough for professional remote field deployment. Each time we go to a site it costs us about $4000 dollars (just to get there and come back again) so we have to be confident the data is there.
That's up to you of course. 

As @reyalp 's sig file says "Don't forget what the H stands for."

Some level of redundancy seems warranted in whatever you decide to do.

edit :  I'll wait for you to rerun the test script and report back as requested above in this post.
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2020, 08:31:25 by waterwingz »

« Reply #46 on: 30 / March / 2020, 08:57:10 »
Thanks for input/ I'll try again late tomorrow
 Up at 4am to work in glasshouse will be knackered by lunch time.
Anyway can't do field work for next six months as whole state is shut down with Covid. So I guess no hurry.

Edit: Play is also the alt key (I think) on this camera, that's why I was pressing it to bring up the chdk menu. Anyway I'm too old wrong generation for this I'm sure a 10 year old could figure it out in 5min. I might have to stick to ecology and growing plants.

Ixus 185 us cheapest canon point and shoot ($130) if I have to go up model better to just by a Fujifilm waterproof xp140 ($230) has 999 interval inbuilt shot intervalometer (and USB power inbuilt).
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2020, 09:05:36 by Passiflora »

« Reply #47 on: 30 / March / 2020, 10:45:21 »
Edit: Play is also the alt key (I think) on this camera, that's why I was pressing it to bring up the chdk menu. Anyway I'm too old wrong generation for this I'm sure a 10 year old could figure it out in 5min. I might have to stick to ecology and growing plants.
10 year olds only know about mobile phones.  You can reassign the <ALT> key to the VIDEO button on the ixus185.

Ixus 185 us cheapest canon point and shoot ($130) if I have to go up model better to just by a Fujifilm waterproof xp140 ($230) has 999 interval inbuilt shot intervalometer (and USB power inbuilt).
If 999 shots are enough to last you three months  (10 shots per day ~ 1/2 of them at night) that seems like a good option.

UPDATE 1 :  found an interesting comment in the CHDK source code.
Code: [Select]
DIGIC 6: reboot not supported yet, unsuitable code #ifdef'd out
That mostly seems to mean that you can't pass the name of a binary file to the reboot function and have it execute that file after the reboot.  But maybe there are other differences?

UPDATE 2 :  The reboot test script works fine in my G16.  So it's not a generic DIGIC6 issue.  And the ixus185 is actually a DIGIC4+ camera.

I'll wait now until you rerun the reboot.lua test with script autostart disabled.  You mentioned earlier that you reformatted the SD card and reloaded CHDK and the ultimate.lua script. So that means the top level folder on the SD card should only have the following files in it : 
  • /CHDK
  • DISKBOOT.BIN
  • PS.FI2
  • camnotes.txt
  • changelog.txt
  • readme.txt
  • vers.req

and maybe ULTIMATE.LOG.    Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2020, 11:13:21 by waterwingz »