Problem running sript - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Problem running sript

• 12 Replies
Re: Problem running sript
« Reply #10 on: 04 / April / 2020, 23:26:30 »
Advertisements
Thank you reyalp & waterwingz
I did have the full (5414) version installed, but I replaced it anyway with the current (5457) version before trying waterwingz' script again. 

It appears to have helped - but not resolved the problem.  What I see now on the screen is a graph on which is overwritten "Start recording", alternating with a box that (very briefly) appears with DISP ZOOM MENU written in it.  Looks promising - except that when I push the shutter button, there's still no response from the camera...
(Thanks also for suggesting I avoid the Firmware Update approach.  In fact, it's what I'm using right now because of a problem getting the Bootable Card trick to work.  But since that seems like probably a separate, and secondary, issue, I thought I'd save any questions for another time.)

« Reply #11 on: 05 / April / 2020, 00:17:05 »
It appears to have helped - but not resolved the problem.  What I see now on the screen is a graph on which is overwritten "Start recording", alternating with a box that (very briefly) appears with DISP ZOOM MENU written in it.  Looks promising - except that when I push the shutter button, there's still no response from the camera...
So the "graph" is probably something like the CHDK Histogram function which you have somehow enabled. If you go to the CHDK Settings menu, the last option on the menu is Reset Options to Default.   Use that.

The somewhat cryptic "Start recording" message and other text you see means that the script has tried to initiate a video recording.  That's a good thing. Pressing the shutter button at that point (or any point) causes the script to stop.  Don't do that.

The script is somewhat old and unsophisticated.  Testing on my S100, you apparently need to put the camera into shooting mode (lens extented) prior to entering CHDK <ALT> mode and starting the script.  Did you do that ?   I think I fixed that in my versions of the script so the shooting mode does not matter but one step at a time here.

(Thanks also for suggesting I avoid the Firmware Update approach.  In fact, it's what I'm using right now because of a problem getting the Bootable Card trick to work.  But since that seems like probably a separate, and secondary, issue, I thought I'd save any questions for another time.)
Standard advice at this point - given hundreds of times - is to check out this wikia page Prepare Your SD Card and the use the STICK or CHIMP utilities linked here and at the top of that page.

Edit :
I did have the full (5414) version installed, but I replaced it anyway with the current (5457) version before trying waterwingz' script again. 
The CHDK version does not matter here.  And the script belongs to @msl - I just documented it and later did a few minor enhancements.
« Last Edit: 05 / April / 2020, 00:20:41 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #12 on: 05 / April / 2020, 03:01:54 »
It worked!  I think that once I had a script properly on the card and set up to go, the only thing I needed to fix was to put the camera in Play mode (rather than leave it in Playback) before pressing the shutter.  Thx to both of you. Appreciate your help.