Can I use a PowerShot Canon as a Webcam? - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Can I use a PowerShot Canon as a Webcam?

• 43 Replies
Can I use a PowerShot Canon as a Webcam?
« on: 08 / April / 2020, 02:31:24 »
Advertisements
I didn't find any solution for this. I have a SX260HS.

Offline reyalp

Re: Can I use a PowerShot Canon as a Webcam?
« Reply #1 on: 08 / April / 2020, 03:25:28 »
I didn't find any solution for this. I have a SX260HS.
If you mean have it connected by USB and recognized by the OS as a webcam, no.

You can use chdkptp to see the live view, but the rest of your OS will not recognize it as a camera.

You can connect a video capture device  with the Canon analog video adapter (Video Cable AVC-DC400ST or compatible) and use that as a webcam.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 08 / April / 2020, 05:44:08 »
reyalp, you are the best!

I think that the chdkptp direction may be help me. However I can't succeed to get the liveview. I've installed the libusb-win32 driver and The ptpcamgui can control the camera. But when I run the chdk-ptp.cmd  I get the cmd windows with a <conn> prompt and can't continue from there. Running ptpcam -i the cmd window appear and disappear immediately.

« Last Edit: 08 / April / 2020, 09:01:13 by nubicon »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 08 / April / 2020, 17:40:43 »
I think that the chdkptp direction may be help me. However I can't succeed to get the liveview. I've installed the libusb-win32 driver and The ptpcamgui can control the camera. But when I run the chdk-ptp.cmd  I get the cmd windows with a <conn> prompt and can't continue from there. Running ptpcam -i the cmd window appear and disappear immediately.
chdkptp is a different program. See https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki

« Reply #4 on: 09 / April / 2020, 03:58:46 »
chdkptp is a different program. See https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki
Got it. It works. thanks for the help (and for the software!)
I still struggle to find the best settings to get the best possible, the least jumpy video. I've tried many fps, ISO and shutter speed combinations and the viewfinder always look very jumpy.
As for the Canon analog video adapter - is it possible to use also a USB to HDMI adapter for connecting the camera to a PC? Will I get a stream on in this way? Lag is no problem.
« Last Edit: 09 / April / 2020, 07:00:04 by nubicon »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 09 / April / 2020, 16:32:59 »
I still struggle to find the best settings to get the best possible, the least jumpy video. I've tried many fps, ISO and shutter speed combinations and the viewfinder always look very jumpy.
chdkptp live view has significant limitations, it's not going to great in the best case.
Most of this won't be affected by shooting settings. In very low light, the frame rate on the camera will probably be lower.

It looks like the current sx260hs port will suffer especially low frame rate in video mode or when recording video. I can post a test build for this if you tell me which canon firmware you have.

As for the Canon analog video adapter - is it possible to use also a USB to HDMI adapter for connecting the camera to a PC? Will I get a stream on in this way? Lag is no problem.
Like most powershots, SX260HS does not support HDMI out in shooting mode, and we have not found a way to override this.

You can use a NTSC/PAL analog video capture adapter (something like https://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Video-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01H6OQI1W if you want to be cheap) with an AVC-DC400 compatible cable, but that will only give you SD resolution. For general webcam use, spending the same money on a dedicated webcam would probably be a much better option.

« Reply #6 on: 09 / April / 2020, 17:13:11 »
Here's a screen capture https://www.sendspace.com/file/bt1f98 - the fps and frames length look good but I get the same synchronization problems both in this 100 lux setup and a 3 lux setup.
The camera's live view look great.
Yea, a webcam is best webcam replacement. I'm looking just for temporary (and a future backup) option.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 10 / April / 2020, 01:34:57 »
Here's a screen capture https://www.sendspace.com/file/bt1f98 - the fps and frames length look good but I get the same synchronization problems both in this 100 lux setup and a 3 lux setup.
That's doesn't look right. Can you let me know which Canon firmware version your camera has?

« Reply #8 on: 10 / April / 2020, 02:24:27 »
I guess you mean 101a.
Maybe it's the USB cable type (I suspect it's 1.0) but I can't find another one to test with.
Meanwhile when I try to connect the camera in chdkptp the libusb-win32 driver near the connect button has disappeared. I reinstalled it and after disconnecting the camera it disappeared again.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 10 / April / 2020, 12:54:51 »
I guess you mean 101a.
Maybe it's the USB cable type (I suspect it's 1.0) but I can't find another one to test with.
Meanwhile when I try to connect the camera in chdkptp the libusb-win32 driver near the connect button has disappeared. I reinstalled it and after disconnecting the camera it disappeared again.
What you posted looks like a bug, I'll post a test build later.

If it were a USB 1.0 connection, you'd get a very low frame rate displayed in CHDKPTP and the transfer stats would be much worse.