Canon SX20-IS releases - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Canon SX20-IS releases

• 11 Replies
Canon SX20-IS releases
« on: 23 / December / 2020, 14:00:11 »
Advertisements
Newbie here - but I did read many of the web pages & instructions(!).
From the downloads page, I downloaded sx20-100f-1.5.1-5694.zip (and the -full version).

First I had mistakenly downloaded the 100c version, and installed it as directed copying the ps.fi2 file to the SD card. It failed as it was the wrong version. Trying to instead use the 100F version, the .zip file does not have a ps.fi2 file only a diskboot.bin, and I didn't see now to use that in the read.me or online install instructions, and does not lead to a firmware-update option through the menu (as the (wrong) fi2 file did).

I did try to just put it in the root of the SD card, but couldn't boot to it.

What am I missing here?

My camera is a Canon PowerShot SZ20-IS
ver.req info:
Poweshot SX20 IS
P-ID:31E4 NT D
GM1-00F
E18
Jun 16, 2009

CHDK version:  31E4 -- 12772
31E4 -- 12772    SX20    DIGIC IV    DRYOS 2.3, release #0039    2009    sx20

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
Re: Canon SX20-IS releases
« Reply #1 on: 23 / December / 2020, 14:41:33 »
 ;) No PS2.FI?  Then You need a bootable SD-card, or (if WinX)
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13091.msg141330#msg141330
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / December / 2020, 17:39:53 »
Thanks for the reply - not sure I understand the whole context.

This means there is no ps fle for this firmware version, so I have to use the bootable file?

CHIMP, a tool to install a bootable.bin image to the SD card?
Will this then support the temporary (~ps.fi2) approach?
I.e. choose the CHDK file for firmware on each startup of the camera?
(Not a permanent overwrite).

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #3 on: 23 / December / 2020, 18:01:09 »
not sure I understand the whole context.

This means there is no ps fle for this firmware version, so I have to use the bootable file?
Yes.
Here's how to properly configure an SD card to load chdk using the autoboot method.
It is easiest to use one of the applications such as the mentioned CHIMP (requires .NET framework) or STICK (requires JAVA installed) but it also works on other operating systems, not only on Windows OS.
When using the autoboot method the chdk will be loaded each time you turn on the camera, if the card is configured correctly and the plastic slider on the edge of the card is in the LOCKED position.
If the slider is not in the LOCK position the chdk will not be loaded.
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

« Reply #4 on: 23 / December / 2020, 18:08:32 »
Thanks;
I tried chimp - I don't know what further details there are for usage - but I start the program with the SD card in the computer (to install CHDK) and I get the error:
Detecting Card - Error, Value cannot be null, Parameter name Key.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 23 / December / 2020, 18:09:08 »
Correct. There should be no PS.FI2 file for any SX20 build. I suspect you initially had a zip for a different *model*, because the Canon firmware will not display an "incorrect version" message for a different *firmware* of the same model.

Yes. Stick is another tool for this: http://zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html
(Not a permanent overwrite).
Neither method is a permanent overwrite. The FI2 method runs CHDK once through the "firm update" menu. With bootable SD card, CHDK is loaded into RAM at startup when card is locked and a special canon boot flag is set on the SD card. So, with bootable SD card, you can switch between using CHDK and not by changing the SD card lock, or just having separate cards for CHDK.

Note that on old cameras like this, bootable SD requires a FAT16 partition. This means you either need a 4gb or smaller card, or to use multiple partitions. CHIMP and Stick can configure a multipartition card if needed, but this makes switching between CHDK and not using the lock more complicated.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 23 / December / 2020, 22:37:24 »
Thanks!
I have been using an 8G Fat32 SD in the camera. Does this mean I have to change that; perhaps reformat it?
I downloaded and ran stick - it found the info from a photo about the camera, and downloaded CHDK version, scanned for SD card, found it, but stops saying "stick needs permission to analyse disk"; and "Drive J, size, partitioning, bootability unknown."

The log shows:
1 drives found
Drives: J
Analysing drive J
Checking access to device '\\.\J:'
Checking access to device '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE8'
Failure checking device '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE8' - error 5
 testing J: bootable
Cards scanned - 1 cards found
STICK needs permission to analyse disk

« Reply #7 on: 23 / December / 2020, 23:07:16 »
Hmm;
I saw that I had not read far enough ahead in the stick instructions, it did give special details for a 64-bit system, and then to run stckx.cmd instead. So I did that, and it seemed to move forward.
But then it said it was going to repartition, and brings up a windows format command, saying it will wipe-out all data. I cancelled that twice, and cancelling the windows format makes stick fail. so I assumed it knew what it was doing and approved he windows format (thinking it was invoked by stick). it went ahead, made another partition, and ended up installing CHDK on both, and deleting all photos from the disk. Ugh.
Locking the SD card and putting into the camera, it indeed does boot into CHDK, but gives an error "missing modules", and is pretty buggy after that when booted into CHDK.
Overall, seems like a failed experiment for me!
Of course, it was pretty silly for me not to have copied all the original files off before the experiment - but luckily I should have them all somewhere else. :-)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 24 / December / 2020, 00:49:48 »
Locking the SD card and putting into the camera, it indeed does boot into CHDK, but gives an error "missing modules", and is pretty buggy after that when booted into CHDK.
It's a bit hard to follow exactly what happened, but this error happens when you have and incomplete install, or multipartition that isn't set up correctly.

On a multiparition card, the small, FAT16 partition needs to contain diskboot.bin, and the other partition should have a CHDK/MODULES folder with the modules in it. Stick should set this up correctly. If the camera thinks the card is very small (for example, from the remaining images display) then CHDK didn't find the large partition.

Partitioning a card definitely destroys data on any existing partitions.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 24 / December / 2020, 08:18:14 »
Thanks;
I'll look at it again, but so far a bit disappointing!
OTOH it is clear that people have put a ;ot of time, expertise and work into these software systems!