64GB SD card trouble - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

64GB SD card trouble

• 18 Replies

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Re: 64GB SD card trouble
« Reply #10 on: 27 / December / 2020, 04:38:32 »
Advertisements
also on old cams 64GB or larger works fine, although FAT32 is a lot slower than exFAT.
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

« Reply #11 on: 27 / December / 2020, 18:47:49 »
The 64GB SDXC cards I've been using are Sandisk branded, and I got them from B&H, so they're probably genuine.  But neither the built-in card reader in my Windows 8 laptop, or the Vivitar USB card reader I've got plugged into my Windows 10 desktop PC at home, seem to be able to write to the cards. 

I guess it's possible that both readers are just not able to handle SDXC cards.  I think I got the laptop in 2014.  I got the desktop in 2017, and bought the USB card reader in an office supply store last week (but it could have been manufactured a while ago).

I'm probably going to get a couple of 32GB SDHC cards as soon as it's convenient, and see how those work.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 27 / December / 2020, 20:27:40 »
I guess it's possible that both readers are just not able to handle SDXC cards.  I think I got the laptop in 2014.  I got the desktop in 2017, and bought the USB card reader in an office supply store last week (but it could have been manufactured a while ago).
That's odd. Any SDHC capable reader should be able to handle SDXC too. The issues I remember people having were specifically with Stick, not accessing cards from windows. I guess there could be some software on your systems interfering, but that's just a guess, I don't have any specific suggestion.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #13 on: 27 / December / 2020, 21:40:21 »
> I guess there could be some software on your systems interfering, but that's just a guess,
> I don't have any specific suggestion.

I'm wondering if using the AOMEI freeware to try to change the cards to FAT32 could have screwed them up somehow.  I honestly don't remember now whether I tried to write to them from Windows before I did that.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #14 on: 28 / December / 2020, 03:24:57 »
quick formatting them with a proper tool should solve screwups and make the cards usable again. try exfat first, because that can be done from your cam or windows.
« Last Edit: 28 / December / 2020, 03:55:53 by Mlapse »

« Reply #15 on: 30 / December / 2020, 02:56:17 »
quick formatting them with a proper tool should solve screwups and make the cards usable again. try exfat first, because that can be done from your cam or windows.

I tried reformatting the cards in my cameras multiple times, but Windows still couldn't write to them.

I've just bought some 32GB cards, and will try them tomorrow.

« Reply #16 on: 31 / December / 2020, 03:24:13 »
The 32GB cards worked!  STICK choked on them, like it did on the 64GB cards (it gave me the "Size, partitioning, bootability unknown" message after I scanned for cards), but I was able to manually transfer the CHDK files to the cards.  I've now got CHDK running nicely on both of my cameras.

(And I find that a dual USB remote is working nicely with them, when USB remote and sync are enabled.)
« Last Edit: 31 / December / 2020, 03:27:16 by MaximusNYC »

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #17 on: 31 / December / 2020, 03:52:49 »
Quote from: MaximusNYC
The 32GB cards worked!  STICK choked on them, like it did on the 64GB cards (it gave me the "Size, partitioning, bootability unknown" message after I scanned for cards)

Too bad the old cards were not salvageble anymore, but I'm glad you solved it.
And, yes on some systems stick does that.
I am guessing it is a setting in windows that blocks stick from accessing the sd card without notification.
But I have never been able to find out what that was.
and by now that computer is off to a second life and no other system I have has had that specific problem.

A dual USB remote? are you going to use it to create 2 angles or for 3d images?

« Reply #18 on: 31 / December / 2020, 13:48:29 »
A dual USB remote? are you going to use it to create 2 angles or for 3d images?

Yes, I'm going to use it for 3D.  I used another pair of Powershots for this (A560s), but I set those up about 10 years ago.  A lot has changed since then...