EOS m10 records video only for 1h18m - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

EOS m10 records video only for 1h18m

• 9 Replies
EOS m10 records video only for 1h18m
« on: 20 / February / 2021, 02:48:38 »
Advertisements
I'm trying to determine the longest video recording time on an EOS m10 and a 64GB sdxc card (capacity verified). Every attempt results in exactly three video files of 4,3 GB (4.276.871.615 bytes) with a length of 23m46s each. The results are the same whether the SD card is formatted on the camera or on a PC with exFAT. I kind of understand the 4GB size limit, but it seems weird that camera stops recording at 1h18m. Also, it seems like the camera is switching off at that point which is also weird since any power saving or LCD-off settings are disabled. I appreciate any insights.

----
CHDK for m10 fw:111a PID:12960
build:1.6.0-5707_ALPHA date:Sun, 10 Jan 2021 23:37:47 +0100
EOS m10

Offline srsa_4c

Re: EOS m10 records video only for 1h18m
« Reply #1 on: 20 / February / 2021, 11:02:13 »
I never attempted longer recordings on my camera. Are you saying the camera supports recording to multiple file segments?
it seems like the camera is switching off at that point
That's most likely a crash. Can you make a romlog and upload it here? Miscellaneous stuff -> Debug parameters -> Save ROM crash log

« Reply #2 on: 20 / February / 2021, 12:22:17 »
Are you saying the camera supports recording to multiple file segments?

Can't say whether that's stock or CHDK behaviour. I played around with video bit rate settings (75%); it always crashes when finishing the 3rd file, again 4,3GB each.

Can you make a romlog and upload it here
Log attached.
EOS m10

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 20 / February / 2021, 13:09:50 »
I played around with video bit rate settings (75%); it always crashes when finishing the 3rd file, again 4,3GB each.
Hmm. What happens if you set a different bitrate? Does it crash after 3 files, or after the time you mentioned?

From the romlog, a firmware variable is incremented and checked whether its value is 3 or less. If it is over 3, the cam halts with an assert.
That 3 happens to be the number of files you're getting. Coincidence?

How are those files named?

CHDK removes the 30-minute time limit. It might be that the number of files per recording is limited too.

« Reply #4 on: 20 / February / 2021, 13:26:29 »
Thanks for looking into this.

What happens if you set a different bitrate? Does it crash after 3 files, or after the time you mentioned?

I tried smaller (75%) and larger (150%) CBR bitrates and a VBR recording, the camera always crashes once the 3rd video file is written, though the video length changes greatly with the configured bitrate. Incidentally, the firmware update method will not work as long as those 3 files are on the SD card; only once they are deleted the camera boots into CHDK (again using the firmware update method).

How are those files named?
MVI_4708.MP4
MVI_4709.MP4
MVI_4710.MP4

It might be that the number of files per recording is limited too.
Should I open a ticket?
EOS m10

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 20 / February / 2021, 13:49:13 »
I tried smaller (75%) and larger (150%) CBR bitrates and a VBR recording, the camera always crashes once the 3rd video file is written, though the video length changes greatly with the configured bitrate.
That very much looks like a limit on the number of files.
Incidentally, the firmware update method will not work as long as those 3 files are on the SD card; only once they are deleted the camera boots into CHDK
Which step fails? No upgrade option in Canon menu or the camera fails to start once you select update?

MVI_4708.MP4
MVI_4709.MP4
MVI_4710.MP4
I see, it's numbered like a new recording.

It might be that the number of files per recording is limited too.
Should I open a ticket?
Don't bother. This limit seems hardcoded, the variable in question is used as index in several firmware variable arrays. If I increased the limit, the firmware would corrupt its other variables.

I'll consider doing something so it stops recording gracefully rather than crashing. But I'll need to do some research first.

« Reply #6 on: 20 / February / 2021, 13:54:21 »
Which step fails? No upgrade option in Canon menu or the camera fails to start once you select update?

The latter. After the crash the camera turns off. So I turn it on again (long press on the mode selection button on the top). Navigate in the menu to firmware update, select CHDK firmware. The camera reboots, screen stays black, green LED flashes, won't come out of it unless power is cut.
EOS m10

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #7 on: 20 / February / 2021, 14:12:29 »
The latter. After the crash the camera turns off. So I turn it on again (long press on the mode selection button on the top). Navigate in the menu to firmware update, select CHDK firmware. The camera reboots, screen stays black, green LED flashes, won't come out of it unless power is cut.
I see.
The firmware update boot on this camera already requires a workaround (the firmware doesn't expect the video/audio codec to be initialized twice). It's possible that loading long recordings counter-act the workaround.
When you have such long recording on card, try navigating to something else (photo or short video), switch off the cam, switch it on again and try the update menu.
You can also try getting a romlog after an unsuccessful start. If it's different from the one you posted previously (not an assert in MovieRecorder.c), post it.

edit:
You can also consider using autoboot - you just need to format the card to FAT32.
« Last Edit: 20 / February / 2021, 14:17:25 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #8 on: 20 / February / 2021, 15:06:14 »
Sorry, I need to revise the entire "CHDK won't boot" story. It turns out that the "black screen flashing LED" thing is just the camera choking on the large video files; it eventually (after 30 sec or so) snaps out of it with "Cannot play back MP4", CHDK will load then just fine.
EOS m10

« Reply #9 on: 23 / February / 2021, 07:21:51 »
In case anyone else has the same issue and is reading this: the "Extended Video r2" from https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts works well when limiting video part sizes to 20 min (CBR standard bitrate).
EOS m10