Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10? - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?

• 38 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?
« Reply #10 on: 29 / March / 2021, 16:20:47 »
Advertisements
Got it. So the "lock" feature on the memory card is what makes it bootable.
It's on of several things the camera uses to decide if the card is bootable.
Otherwise if it's unlocked then the camera will just treat it as a memory card to store images, videos on it and not as a device to boot from right?
If it's unlocked, then the camera will not load CHDK and will boot normally. The card being bootable has nothing to do with it being able to store images or not. You can take pictures and video with CHDK installed.

I guess this means, once I'm done with my live streaming and I want to go and capture pictures, video, just unlock it. is this correct?
Yes, if you don't want to run CHDK, you can just unlock the card. Or alternatively, if you want to use CHDK photography features, you can just turn the overlays back on in the CHDK menu.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #11 on: 29 / March / 2021, 16:25:48 »
I heard that using a bootable memory card was the safer of 3 options
I believe there is another option of a perm firmware upgrade.

The bootable option is much less risky then?

Offline srsa_4c

I'm using MF, not AF, so will the overlays disappear or no?
If the lens is set to MF (manual focus), the overlays can be removed without using any hacks. Just press the INFO button a few times until the overlays disappear.

If the lens is set to MF (manual focus), the overlays can be removed without using any hacks. Just press the INFO button a few times until the overlays disappear.

I don't see an info button on the Canon EOS M10, is it an internal menu option instead?

Offline srsa_4c

I don't see an info button on the Canon EOS M10, is it an internal menu option instead?
No. On the back of the camera, there is a four-directional button. The bottom part of that is labeled INFO.

Yes I now see the info button.
Thanks for that.
So why would someone use the Chdk utility or files?
If they want to use peak focus or auto focus?

Now when you say I can remove the overlays, you're referrin to when connected to my computer using a video capture card, streaming as a webcam and not just standlone right?

Offline srsa_4c

Now when you say I can remove the overlays, you're referrin to when connected to my computer using a video capture card, streaming as a webcam and not just standlone right?
I don't see why it would work differently when the cam is connected to a HDMI device. Question: why don't you try?

I don't see why it would work differently when the cam is connected to a HDMI device. Question: why don't you try?

I'm still waiting for my capture card
It will be here on Sat
I'll try it and let you know
From all acounts,from what you've said and a few other pro camera guys, they said I can wash away all of the overlays
in MF, with my canon by simply hitting the "info" button.
I was just wondering then why do people use Magic lantern or the CHDK utility/script? I guess its because they want AF or Peak Focus.

Thanks and keep you updated.

« Reply #19 on: 03 / April / 2021, 00:33:18 »
Hi so I got my capture card and it's not producing a signal
It's showing vertical colored lines like you would see on a TV set with no signal

SO here's my set up
HDMI cable from my DSLR to slot in capture card. The other end of the capture card is a USB plug
and it's plugged into one of the USB devices on my laptop

Please help