Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10? - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?

• 38 Replies

Online reyalp

Re: Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?
« Reply #20 on: 03 / April / 2021, 02:18:28 »
Advertisements
SO here's my set up
HDMI cable from my DSLR to slot in capture card. The other end of the capture card is a USB plug
and it's plugged into one of the USB devices on my laptop
What brand / model is your capture device?

Do you have any HDMI sources other than the camera you can try it with? Like a computer or game console with HDMI out?

It has been reported previously that some devices don't like the camera output, which appears to be 1080 interlaced. See https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13489.msg142691#msg142691

« Last Edit: 03 / April / 2021, 15:56:26 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #22 on: 03 / April / 2021, 10:28:43 »
No other HDMI devices. I'm just connected the camera via HDMI cable to a video capture card and then the USB head on the other end of the video capture card is plugged into USB port

Online reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 03 / April / 2021, 15:56:06 »
No other HDMI devices. I'm just connected the camera via HDMI cable to a video capture card and then the USB head on the other end of the video capture card is plugged into USB port
Does the screen on the camera turn off when the capture device is connected?

It's this one
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08FCFRRQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unsurprisingly, no real manufacturer specs or info for a cheap device like this. I don't see any information one way or the other about it supporting 1080i.

« Reply #24 on: 03 / April / 2021, 15:59:46 »

It's this one
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08FCFRRQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unsurprisingly, no real manufacturer specs or info for a cheap device like this. I don't see any information one way or the other about it supporting 1080i.

You mean 1080p? It does support it as you can see by the specs on the listing on amazon
Also look at the reviews from people . They said it works great. Most of them
I was told I might need a stream key like something like OBS if Canon Webcam Utility doesn't support my model. Is this true?
I heard Zoom needs something like this.
I haven't tried any other live stream capture or webcam software
Mabe I should do that.

« Reply #25 on: 03 / April / 2021, 16:07:01 »

It's this one

The screen on the camera does not turn off. It's on when plugged in via video capture device.  It does turn on after a few minutes of inactivity for energy saving

Online reyalp

« Reply #26 on: 03 / April / 2021, 16:16:12 »
The screen on the camera does not turn off. It's on when plugged in via video capture device.  It does turn on after a few minutes of inactivity for energy saving
That means the camera isn't detecting that the HDMI device is connected. Not clear why, could be the cables or something about the device.

« Reply #27 on: 03 / April / 2021, 20:49:42 »
I just opened up the manual for the hdmi capture card
and I missed some instructions
It says I have to add it as a new source
I'm going to try to figure out what it means
and link back here if I have any issues
I think I missed an important step
Thanks for your help

« Reply #28 on: 03 / April / 2021, 22:12:07 »
That means the camera isn't detecting that the HDMI device is connected. Not clear why, could be the cables or something about the device.
I tried to use OBS and still nothing. Just vertical lines like this
So you think there's an issue with the video capture card?

Online reyalp

« Reply #29 on: 03 / April / 2021, 23:46:26 »
You mean 1080p?
No. I mean 1080i. This appears to be what the cameras use, and it's somewhat uncommon these days, so some devices may not support it.

However, AFAIK people who had problems with this in the past didn't have the same problem you're having now. They reported the camera falling back to 720x480, and I would generally expect the camera to recognize the connection even if this problem was present.

So you think there's an issue with the video capture card?
The normal behavior of these cameras is to turn off the display when an HDMI connection is detected.

This is described in the camera manual (page 150, on the version I have) "Images from the camera are now displayed on the TV. (Nothing is displayed on the camera screen.)"

So the fact it's not doing that means it isn't sensing the HDMI connection. This could be a physical connection problem (in the camera, the cabling, or the device) or some other defect or incompatiblity.

The vertical lines suggest your capture device is talking to your computer, but not seeing signal, which makes sense, because the camera won't produce output on the HDMI port unless it thinks something is there.

The most straightforward way to narrow down where the problem is would be to try the various components with other devices.

If you have another device capable of displaying HDMI (a monitor or TV with HDMI input) you try connecting the the camera to that, assuming you have the correct adapters. You can also connect the camera to a DVI monitor if you have and HDMI to DVI adapter.