Failing getting CHDK on to Powershot SX60HS - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Failing getting CHDK on to Powershot SX60HS

• 7 Replies
Failing getting CHDK on to Powershot SX60HS
« on: 29 / January / 2022, 10:48:51 »
Advertisements
Hi guys,

I would be really grateful for any help as I am really struggling getting CHDK onto my powershot Sx60

I have a 16gb SD card that is formatted FAT32 single partition (i have low level formatted it with CANON)

when i try to use STICK i get the error:

Drive E:
 Size, partitioning, bootability unknown

I have been unable to get past this by trying to make it bootable
EOScard to write the card appears to work but ultimately is then unsuccessful
WICKS error: no writable cards

using CHIMP i have the error: unsupported firmware

when i have tried the firmware update method and downloaded the CDHK i cannot find the ps.fi2 or ps.fir file for love nor money, i only have a .bin file which i am unsure how to use/open

I am keen to use CHDK to do longer exposures at increased ISO

I would love to hear any thoughts/ideas to help, thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 29 / January / 2022, 11:42:51 by mattsem »

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
Re: Failing getting CHDK on to Powershot SX60HS
« Reply #1 on: 29 / January / 2022, 12:31:56 »
cannot find the ps.fi2 or ps.fir file for love nor money, ...
because it´s not there.  :P. Needs SD-card locked to boot.
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12532.msg140265#msg140265
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card#The_Simple_Way:

:blink: I have attached a jpg, can see it only logged in... :haha
jpg + png same ...  :-[
« Last Edit: 29 / January / 2022, 16:38:56 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / January / 2022, 06:09:03 »
Thanks for reply,

This is what i was trying but with no success, however trying again with 1.00H zip folder seems to have helped and it is working! (http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/)

I have disabled overides but still seem to have limitations on ISO and shutter speed so i guess that is my next adventure...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 30 / January / 2022, 13:33:54 »
I have disabled overides but still seem to have limitations on ISO and shutter speed so i guess that is my next adventure...
"Disable overrides" disables CHDK overrides. If you want to use high ISO with long shutter speeds, you'll need to enable overrides, and use ISO and/or Tv overrides to set the desired exposure. Alternatively, you could use a script.

Note that CHDK does not generally enable ISO overrides outside the factory ISO range. That is, if your cameras max ISO is 1600, setting and override of 3200 will not work. The same is true for ISO lower than the base value. However, if your camera is one that forces base ISO for long exposures, you will generally be able to override to a higher ISO within the factory range.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 31 / January / 2022, 03:42:54 »
Thanks,

I have spent a long time with the manual trying to increase the shutter speed and the ISO but the camera still seems to be putting its own limits on and not allowing the CHDK to do its thing :/

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 31 / January / 2022, 12:40:15 »
Thanks,

I have spent a long time with the manual trying to increase the shutter speed and the ISO but the camera still seems to be putting its own limits on and not allowing the CHDK to do its thing :/
If you can describe what specific steps you used, we might be able to help, or determine whether this is a bug in the port. Here are a few things to note:
* CHDK does not change the options available in the the Canon UI. To override beyond the normal Canon limits, you must use the CHDK override menu or a script.
* The Canon OSD display and EXIF may or may not correctly reflect overrides. To determine whether an override is actually working you should compare actual images with different settings. That is, if you shoot one shot with ISO overridden to 800 and another of the same scene with it at 100, the one at 800 should be much brighter.
* The override settings are described here: https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK_1.5_User_Manual#Enhanced_Photo_Operations

Generally, if you wanted to do, say 16 s exposure at ISO 800, you would
* Make sure "Disable Overrides" is "No"
* Set "Override TV type to "Ev Step" or "LongExp" (this just changes the CHDK UI to enter the value)
* Set the desired value, and ensure the box next to the value is checked
* Set Override ISO to 800, and ensure the box next to the value is checked

Leave the CHDK menu and shoot normally. With default settings, the override values should be displayed in red in the upper left of the CHDK OSD. If overrides are disabled, you'll see a message reflecting that instead.

By default, overrides are turned off (values kept, but checkbox next to them cleared) each time you restart the camera. You can turn this off by clearing "Disable Overrides on Startup" at the bottom of the "Enhanced Photo Operations" menu.

« Reply #6 on: 01 / February / 2022, 15:50:24 »
thanks this was great advice, is working well for me now thanks so much. Got prolonged shutter speeds and can bump up the ISO, cannot get the aperture to 1.4 but i think this is just a physical limitation of the Sx60

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 01 / February / 2022, 18:46:44 »
Got prolonged shutter speeds and can bump up the ISO, cannot get the aperture to 1.4 but i think this is just a physical limitation of the Sx60
Yes, the wide (lower f number) aperture limit is virtually certain to be a hardware limit. Very unlikely Canon would design a lens physically capable of wider aperture and then artificially limit it.