CHDK for longtime timelapse - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

CHDK for longtime timelapse

• 133 Replies

Offline c_joerg

Re: CHDK for longtime timelapse
« Reply #20 on: 30 / May / 2021, 02:54:41 »
Advertisements
The M-series is not an option for me because of the limited shutter life. Of course, an electronic shutter would be my favourite.
I don’t worry about that anymore. The G1x also has a mechanical shutter. The M's also only have a mechanical second shutter curtain. The first is always electronic. Only M6II is different.
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #21 on: 10 / July / 2021, 11:34:48 »
Hello everyone!  :D

I want to give a small update to my project!
I'm quite excited with the project as there have been quite some improvements!

First of all the G1X is amazing!! What a great camera from 2012. The camera takes up to 12s and up to 1600ISO photos for recording the stars after sunset without any dark frame and there are no hot pixels at all (yes, now after weeks I found 1 hot pixel..)! And the noise is excellent. The quality on instagram is quite bad, the image seems quite noisy but already on the telegram channel where the quality is 4x higher the stars are well visible. And if I download the 4k DCI full resolution timelapse to my pc the quality is very impressive!   :lol :lol :lol

Since my parents now have a new router with up to 400(!) times the upload speed of the connection before, the uploads are now stable and do not crash as they did earlier this year. This means the next step is to open a YouTube channel where I can upload the videos in 4k for my own enjoyment.  :D

In the last weeks I tried to figure out the best rawopint setting by reversing engineering the setting: increasing only one setting at a time and taking a sunset and then repeat. I find rawopint quite impressive and so I implemented some new functionality which I will share with you on the rawopint channel. I also have some new problems I could not figure out by reverse engineering the code.

Other than this, my dad agreed to make a hole in the wall and embedding a UV filter in the wall pointing in the same direction of the camera, for better quality. Because at the moment the reflections of my room at night are quite disturbing and an UV filter obviously is a clearer glass than the old dirty windows.

Also a new idea would be to integrate some kind of sonification of the timelapse since some people suggested I should add a background sound... But this would be completely new project. The problem is that if I use always the same song of all the time-lapse it would be kind of disturbing as the atmosphere may change drastically between one day and the other but also during one timelapse it may change too much. The Idea would bee that different parts of the frame represent one instrument (I think I would choose more a classical approach :lol) and then according to changes in brightness, color and saturation the loudness and tone tone pitch should change accordingly. The problem is that the changes somehow have to be harmonic, otherwise it is destroying your ears.

I'm a little concerned about the sun shining directly into the camera. This has not been the case up to now. But the sun could shine directly into the camera in the winter months, when she is low and only in the sunrise timelapse. Unfortunately the ND filter does not kick in with the rawopint script, even though the script works fine (it does the jump in ev when the nd filter should kick in)
« Last Edit: 10 / July / 2021, 11:50:42 by dolomiti_timelapse »
If you want to see a sunset or sunrise of Dolomiti Val Gardena shot with CHDK visit
Instagram: dolomiti_timelapse
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEJHg--ujxLkjMrevJXh-Gw

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #22 on: 10 / July / 2021, 12:05:31 »
to make a hole in the wall and embedding a UV filter in the wall pointing in the same direction of the camera, for better quality.
I smell problems with condensing water.  :-X
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 10 / July / 2021, 13:43:57 »
Other than this, my dad agreed to make a hole in the wall and embedding a UV filter in the wall pointing in the same direction of the camera, for better quality. Because at the moment the reflections of my room at night are quite disturbing and an UV filter obviously is a clearer glass than the old dirty windows.
If you haven't already, covering blocking everything but the lens with black baffles should be helpful.
The Idea would bee that different parts of the frame represent one instrument (I think I would choose more a classical approach :lol) and then according to changes in brightness, color and saturation the loudness and tone tone pitch should change accordingly. The problem is that the changes somehow have to be harmonic, otherwise it is destroying your ears.
An alternative might be to have a library of real music, and use some heuristic to decide which to add to a given video. Like "big, rapid lighting variations = dramatic music"

FWIW, I believe https://twitter.com/ThreeBodyBot uses random music but often feels like it "works" anyway.

I'm a little concerned about the sun shining directly into the camera. This has not been the case up to now. But the sun could shine directly into the camera in the winter months, when she is low and only in the sunrise timelapse.
There are a lot of time lapses on here with the sun going through the frame, but it definitely seems preferable to minimize.
Unfortunately the ND filter does not kick in with the rawopint script, even though the script works fine (it does the jump in ev when the nd filter should kick in)
Do you have the camera in continuous mode? I suspect on this camera with the current release of the script, ND control will only work in continuous mode, not in "quick" (hold half press and click shoot) mode.

Continuous probably also shoots faster on this cam, but may have different behavior with ISO overrides. If you can't run the script in cont mode for some reason, I can give you a workaround.

The next release of rawopint has much improved ND support, and now I have more reason to try to get it done before winter ;)

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #24 on: 10 / July / 2021, 14:24:37 »
to make a hole in the wall and embedding a UV filter in the wall pointing in the same direction of the camera, for better quality.
I smell problems with condensing water.  :-X

I know exactly what you mean! I will have to see how bad it is...

I have not thought about it, because I already have the problem  :-[

Actually the windows in that room are so bad (made with a head conduction metal frame) that in the winter the windows are completely wet. I believe the UV filter will work better than the windows, because I hope that I can create a sort of micro climate where the camera sits and to kind of separate it from the room. So in the hole where the camera is, there should be a lot colder and less humidity than in the room itself.

Since the camera is now behind the window it can in my opinion just get better.  ;)
« Last Edit: 10 / July / 2021, 15:03:19 by dolomiti_timelapse »
If you want to see a sunset or sunrise of Dolomiti Val Gardena shot with CHDK visit

« Reply #25 on: 10 / July / 2021, 15:31:16 »
An alternative might be to have a library of real music, and use some heuristic to decide which to add to a given video. Like "big, rapid lighting variations = dramatic music"

FWIW, I believe https://twitter.com/ThreeBodyBot uses random music but often feels like it "works" anyway.

You can't give me such informations! :P I had to go through his code now and try it out myself! What an amazing project!

Do you have the camera in continuous mode? I suspect on this camera with the current release of the script, ND control will only work in continuous mode, not in "quick" (hold half press and click shoot) mode.

Continuous probably also shoots faster on this cam, but may have different behavior with ISO overrides. If you can't run the script in cont mode for some reason, I can give you a workaround.

The next release of rawopint has much improved ND support, and now I have more reason to try to get it done before winter ;)

Thank you! To be honest I actually don't know in which mode the camera is in :blink:
I will check it out and try it out the next days!

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #26 on: 10 / July / 2021, 16:12:44 »
« Last Edit: 12 / July / 2021, 12:20:49 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #27 on: 10 / July / 2021, 16:15:52 »
You can't give me such informations! :P I had to go through his code now and try it out myself! What an amazing project!
Unless I'm missing something, the music is literally just the RANDOM stuff selecting MP3 files near the end of https://github.com/kirklong/ThreeBodyBot/blob/master/3BodyShell.sh

Thank you! To be honest I actually don't know in which mode the camera is in :blink:
I will check it out and try it out the next days!
I think the logs you posted previously were in single drive mode. Unfortunately, drive mode has to be set through the camera UI, but I believe the setting is remembered for cameras like G1X (very old ones always boot in single shot mode)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #28 on: 11 / July / 2021, 03:19:04 »
Unfortunately the ND filter does not kick in with the rawopint script, even though the script works fine (it does the jump in ev when the nd filter should kick in)

I've never had this problem with my G1x. However, I always only use the continuous mode.
What bothers me when switching the ND is that the crop changes slightly.
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #29 on: 11 / July / 2021, 12:52:51 »
I think the logs you posted previously were in single drive mode. Unfortunately, drive mode has to be set through the camera UI, but I believe the setting is remembered for cameras like G1X (very old ones always boot in single shot mode)

I've never had this problem with my G1x. However, I always only use the continuous mode.
What bothers me when switching the ND is that the crop changes slightly.

Thanks and Thanks  8)

Yes the camera is now in continuous mode and it works!

Yes I also noticed the slight distortion(?) with the ND filter kicked in. I can't say for sure now, but it seems that the changes in the shadows and and movement of the trees seems more dominant. Obviously the mountains should stay the same as they don't moves as fast... :D
« Last Edit: 11 / July / 2021, 13:02:08 by dolomiti_timelapse »