SX220hs 101b USB Remore - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

SX220hs 101b USB Remore

• 12 Replies
SX220hs 101b USB Remore
« on: 18 / May / 2021, 13:42:31 »
Advertisements
Its' quite a while since I looked at this.

Using the latest Official download and having read https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/USB_Remote I cannot get any combination of remote parameter settings to work.

There is no screen blanking or waiting for switch release, the shot is taken immediately.

Does this still work ?

Offline reyalp

Re: SX220hs 101b USB Remore
« Reply #1 on: 18 / May / 2021, 16:05:04 »
Does this still work ?
Most likely it either never worked, or there you are using a specific combination of camera settings where it doesn't work, or some specific change broke it. Sometimes the porting thread gives you and indication of what features were tested https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6241.0

From there, it seems it was reported working https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6241.msg65726#msg65726 but the code was subsequently converted to code_gen in r3614.

The remote hook appears to have been moved in the code_gen conversion, and the placement is now deeply wrong: it's in the middle of a conditional for an assert :o although this doesn't necessarily mean the non-asserting case is broken.

I'll try to come up with a test build later.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 19 / May / 2021, 00:33:47 »
@andrew.stephens.754365 here's a test build

« Reply #3 on: 20 / May / 2021, 03:26:18 »
Thanks - that now works as expected.

I have the same remote problem with an S3is 100a. I searched against that but couldn't (easily) see the porting thread among the 15 pages of results returned.

If you could provide a test build for that at some stage it would also be appreciated.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 20 / May / 2021, 13:15:59 »
I have the same remote problem with an S3is 100a. I searched against that but couldn't (easily) see the porting thread among the 15 pages of results returned.

If you could provide a test build for that at some stage it would also be appreciated.
Hmm, I was surprised such an old, widely used port would be broken, but it looks like remote hook was never implemented on this cam. This is much older model so it's not going to be the same fix as sx220, but I'll take a look.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 20 / May / 2021, 22:21:56 »
@andrew.stephens.754365 Here's a test build for s3is 100a. The remote hook was commented out, in the equivalent to the location used for a540 (which works).

« Reply #6 on: 21 / May / 2021, 12:28:05 »
Unfortunately it doesn't work.

First button press focuses, 2nd press blanks the screen for a few seconds and shuts down the camera.

If I have the flash on, there is a pre-flash at the time the screen blanks.

After a crash, pressing the ON button reboots from the card, and the behavior is very repeatable.

If sync is turned off, then 2nd press takes the picture immediately, with only a very brief blank screen.

If I remember correctly, you once said S2is and S3is are the only CHDK cameras that can be booted with the usb switch - could that be relevant?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 21 / May / 2021, 13:18:31 »
Unfortunately it doesn't work.
Guess that explains why it was commented out.
First button press focuses, 2nd press blanks the screen for a few seconds and shuts down the camera.
Can you get a romlog?

If I remember correctly, you once said S2is and S3is are the only CHDK cameras that can be booted with the usb switch - could that be relevant?
In the sense differences from other cameras of the same era could be relevant somehow, sure, I'm not aware of anything specific.
FWIW, s2is appears to have remote implemented, in a similar location. The s3is code where the remote hook is placed appears virtually identical to a540.

Also, I'm not sure if those were the only two cams that power on from USB whenever that statement was made, but some modern ones that do it too now, mostly(?) those that have micro-USB and support USB charging. This is just for completeness, they are unlikely to be relevant to whatever the problem with S3 is.

« Reply #8 on: 23 / May / 2021, 02:24:36 »
Thanks for comments.

Here's the romlog - tried twice, the start of the file has non-text characters.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 23 / May / 2021, 02:45:23 »
Here's the romlog - tried twice, the start of the file has non-text characters.
Thanks. VxWorks romlogs are normally binary, so that's fine, but from the camera log messages, it's not clear if this actually came from trying to shoot with the remote or if it's from some other crash, and whatever happened with the remote didn't save a romlog. I'll take a closer look later.