Need help recovering corrupted video - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Need help recovering corrupted video

• 8 Replies
Need help recovering corrupted video
« on: 11 / August / 2021, 05:23:58 »
Advertisements
Hello

A person on Reddit suggested I use this forum, I recently bought a camera that came with an SD card. After shooting a few videos, it seems like the video has corrupted although shows the correct file size and even shows a thumbnail but the videos cannot be transferred to my hard drive or played.

I would be extremely grateful if somehow can help recover the footage, I uploaded the image thing to Dropbox already

Online reyalp

Re: Need help recovering corrupted video
« Reply #1 on: 11 / August / 2021, 16:02:04 »
A person on Reddit suggested I use this forum, I recently bought a camera that came with an SD card.
What camera? Are you using CHDK?
After shooting a few videos, it seems like the video has corrupted although shows the correct file size and even shows a thumbnail but the videos cannot be transferred to my hard drive or played.
How are you trying to transfer the video? With a USB cable, or an SD card reader? When you say they "cannot be transferred", what specifically happens when you try to transfer?

Can you play the videos on the camera? If not, what happens when you try?

I uploaded the image thing to Dropbox already
I'm afraid I have no idea what you are referring to here, but if you are trying to share a file with us, you'd have to provide a link.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / September / 2021, 18:57:30 »
Hi, I'm using a Canon G7X MK III with the default software, I have no experience with CHDK.

I tried transferring the videos with both methods.

The videos don't play but the thumbnail of it still shows.

It just says the transfer can't be completed as the file is corrupted.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #3 on: 06 / September / 2021, 03:21:24 »
Can the video be played in the camera itself in playback mode?
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #4 on: 06 / September / 2021, 08:31:34 »
You can try the RecoveRX app. It does a bitmap of the SD card and can fix header problems. You must use a card reader.

« Reply #5 on: 08 / September / 2021, 08:05:02 »
You can try the RecoveRX app. It does a bitmap of the SD card and can fix header problems. You must use a card reader.

Unfortunately that didn't work

« Reply #6 on: 08 / September / 2021, 08:05:28 »
Can the video be played in the camera itself in playback mode?

Unfortunately not :(

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #7 on: 08 / September / 2021, 15:03:04 »
Have You tried various players, like VLC or MLV-App ?
(https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0) :-[
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Online reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 09 / September / 2021, 15:45:50 »
Have You tried various players, like VLC or MLV-App ?
(https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0) :-[
As far as I understand the Flinty94's posts, the OS won't even let them copy the files off the SD card, so it's extremely unlikely trying to open them in a different app will help.

@Flinty94
If the files are really important to you, there are data recovery companies which might be able to get something for you, for a steep price. I don't have any particular recommendation, but you can find them in google.

Otherwise, if file recovery apps don't get you anything, I'd say those videos are lost. It's also quite likely the SD card is damaged, so I'd suggest getting a new one.

Don't forget what the H stands for.