Newest and most capable cameras compatible with CHDK - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Newest and most capable cameras compatible with CHDK

• 11 Replies
Newest and most capable cameras compatible with CHDK
« on: 12 / September / 2021, 17:47:16 »
Advertisements
Hi all!!!

I have never posted in the forums before so I hope this section is suitable for the creation of this thread. I have been using CHDK for well over a decade now and I absolutely love how it allows you to utilize the camera in ways the manufacturer never intended or intentionally limited and CHDK makes that so very easy and exciting!!!

Also, I wanted to give a nod to the devs who have worked on CHDK over the years. There are so many of us out her who use CHDK and appreciate what you have done so keep up the great work all!!!  :)

Moving forward, I am interested in buying another CHDK capable camera but with so many models it is hard to choose what I want. A while back, Best Buy had some Canon point and shoots for around $500-$600 which were compatible but I never moved on them and I cannot remember what the model was for those cameras. In short, I'm looking for the most capable, newest, and most feature rich Canon cameras which support CHDK.

My focus (no pun intended) is in astrophotography, long exposures, image stacking, and other bracketing. I also love to capture images of landscapes, wildlife, waterfalls, general nature, and lightening bolts. In the past, I have used a number of scripts with CHDK to capture lightening bolts but I had older, less capable cameras then. I want that to change...

With all of that said, can anyone recommend some of the higher-end or newer Canon cameras which are compatible with CHDK? There are so many cameras that CHDK is compatible with but I do not know which models are the higher end models or the most recent to be released.

Any help with this inquiry would be greatly appreciated of course and I want to thank you all in advance for your help!

Best,

PAinguIN

Offline reyalp

Re: Newest and most capable cameras compatible with CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 12 / September / 2021, 18:02:18 »
With all of that said, can anyone recommend some of the higher-end or newer Canon cameras which are compatible with CHDK? There are so many cameras that CHDK is compatible with but I do not know which models are the higher end models or the most recent to be released.
The current high end CHDK supported cameras are in the Gn X series (G7 X, G5 X, G7 X mk2) and the and  EOS M3 and M10. You could also consider the original G1 X (the mk2 and mk3 are NOT currently supported). If superzooms interest you, then the SX60, SX50 or SX7** series are the obvious options.

The EOS Ms are of course not actually P&S, but they're supported by CHDK because they are in the same Canon firmware family as the P&S. There are some quirks and limitations due the fact they are ILCs and CHDK not originally being designed to support that.

The G7X mk2 is the first supported Digic 7 port, and may have quirks or unresolved issues.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 12 / September / 2021, 18:24:58 »

The current high end CHDK supported cameras are in the Gn X series (G7 X, G5 X, G7 X mk2) and the and  EOS M3 and M10. You could also consider the original G1 X (the mk2 and mk3 are NOT currently supported). If superzooms interest you, then the SX60, SX50 or SX7** series are the obvious options.The EOS Ms are of course not actually P&S, but they're supported by CHDK because they are in the same Canon firmware family as the P&S. There are some quirks and limitations due the fact they are ILCs and CHDK not originally being designed to support that.The G7X mk2 is the first supported Digic 7 port, and may have quirks or unresolved issues.

reyalp,

Thank you so much for the swift response and all of the info you shared as it will be very useful in my purchasing decision. Also, I was interested to see that some ILC's are supported (but loosely as you stated) but I will take a look at the models you mentioned and make a decision in the very near future.

Again, thanks for the response and when I do buy a new camera I will post to detail why I purchased it, etc in case others have questions about the model I choose.

Best,

PAinguIN

« Reply #3 on: 13 / September / 2021, 01:16:58 »
@painguin

As reyalp said, you have choices.

From my experience, the M3 is a great choice and you can read about my CHDK experiences with the G1X, G7X, G5X and the M3 on my blog at photography.grayheron.net

The M3 is the ‘best’ for me because I can use my EOS lenses as well. Plus it has a great cage system and my latest hack gives you a dark cloth for the LCD screen  :D

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #5 on: 19 / September / 2021, 06:06:37 »
@painguin

As reyalp said, you have choices.

From my experience, the M3 is a great choice and you can read about my CHDK experiences with the G1X, G7X, G5X and the M3 on my blog at photography.grayheron.net

The M3 is the ‘best’ for me because I can use my EOS lenses as well. Plus it has a great cage system and my latest hack gives you a dark cloth for the LCD screen  :D

pigeonhill,

Thank you for your input and I will definitely check out your blog for more info on those devices. Regarding the M3 you mentioned, I've looked at the specs and that seems to be a fantastic choice for a camera that uses CHDK. And with the adapter, you can use all of the EOS lenses as well, correct?

PainguiN

« Reply #6 on: 19 / September / 2021, 06:12:41 »
@painguin

Yes you can use your EF lenses with an EF to M adaptor.

You should buy one that gives you AF and aperature control, ie not a cheaper non electronic one, as then you can use CHDK fully, eg using my script you can undertake perfect focus bracketing.

« Reply #7 on: 19 / September / 2021, 06:14:19 »
;) ... "dynamic range" ... https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12697.msg146283#msg146283

Caefix,

Are all of the scripts usable on all camera models are do certain scripts run on specific devices??

painguin

« Reply #8 on: 19 / September / 2021, 06:33:22 »
All of the lenses for the M3 are moderately expensive and that leads me to believe I'm looking at the right gear for the type of images I I wish to take. Could anyone recommend a lens (or lenses) for the M3 that would be best for astrophotography as well as landscape photography?

A friend of mine was trying to convince me to buy a Sony camera and while I do love Sony products I really wanted a Canon that I could use CHDK with.

« Reply #9 on: 19 / September / 2021, 06:56:57 »
@painguin

Yes you can use your EF lenses with an EF to M adaptor.

You should buy one that gives you AF and aperature control, ie not a cheaper non electronic one, as then you can use CHDK fully, eg using my script you can undertake perfect focus bracketing.

pigeonhill,

Thank you for the info, this is most helpful... So, a lens which allows aperture control and features AF would be best? I've also noted that wide angle lenses as low a 14mm are desirable but basically any lens <35mm was recommended based on one source. Anyone agree with that statement???

painguin