Cameras for timelapse CHDK future (was Re: CHDK for longtime timelapse) - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Cameras for timelapse CHDK future (was Re: CHDK for longtime timelapse)

• 11 Replies
Advertisements
M100 100a, M3 101a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
I see you list M100 in your signature; does that run CHDK? I'm looking for an upgrade and...

Offline c_joerg

Re: Cameras for timelapse CHDK future (was Re: CHDK for longtime timelapse)
« Reply #1 on: 29 / September / 2021, 11:27:42 »
I see you list M100 in your signature; does that run CHDK? I'm looking for an upgrade and...
You can build your own test version for 100a.
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13943.msg147007#msg147007
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #2 on: 29 / September / 2021, 14:08:33 »
Finally the camera has its own window with "panorama" view.
From here   :-X I see trouble with the rain running down the window.
Seems to disappear IN the roof...
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 29 / September / 2021, 16:31:40 »
You can build your own test version for 100a.
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13943.msg147007#msg147007
I'm not sure if manoweb was asking about this in general, or as an upgrade for the Cornizzolo installation, but I wouldn't recommend it for this kind of application unless you specifically want to work on the bleeding edge.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 29 / September / 2021, 17:12:04 »
I'm not sure if manoweb was asking about this in general, or as an upgrade for the Cornizzolo installation, but I wouldn't recommend it for this kind of application unless you specifically want to work on the bleeding edge.
Hello reyalp, well, I have to think about the future and I'd like more resolution, more quality in image and lenses, dynamic range etc. Right now the timelapses at Cornizzolo are stable and show no sign of "fatigue", but few years down the line... who knows.
I'd keep everything at my residence for now (that is on the other side of the Planet).The work would be long and hard: 1) stainless steel, CNC cut and TIG welded enclosure made pretty much tailored for a given camera2) aerospace connectors (M12?) for data and power, the crappy "IP6x" connectors out of amazon gave us so much grief, intermittent operation due to corrosion build up its ridiculous3) upgrade of processing hardware, from the stuff that runs on the on-board raspberry pi (or similar, the nvidia Jetson has tensorflow-ready hardware...) to the remote (10+km wireless link) equipment to archive all the data
and of course:

4) having a CHDK-ready camera, that is stable, I know this might be one of the biggest challenges, but I am reluctant to buy older models out of ebay
I was really interested in the M100, in fact M200 cameras, as one cannot buy the M100 anymore unless it's used. I have not seen anything about the M200 on this forum, do you have any suggestion? Wow this is thread hijacking, sorry dolomiti_timelapse, you are doing wonderful work...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 29 / September / 2021, 18:05:26 »
Right now the timelapses at Cornizzolo are stable and show no sign of "fatigue", but few years down the line... who knows.
Well, in few years, the M100 port might be finished too ;)

4) having a CHDK-ready camera, that is stable, I know this might be one of the biggest challenges, but I am reluctant to buy older models out of ebay
I was really interested in the M100, in fact M200 cameras, as one cannot buy the M100 anymore unless it's used. I have not seen anything about the M200 on this forum, do you have any suggestion?
The M200 is a digic 8 camera, which will likely never be supported by CHDK because the Canon firmware is very different. It's possible there will be a magic lantern port or some other hack someday https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23296.0

For ILC cams, the M3 and M10 ports are more mature. The M10 currently doesn't have remoteshoot but I believe it would be added without much effort. Some other discussion of currently supported high end cams https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14425.msg146977#msg146977

None of them are very recent, so you're likely stuck buying used/refurb no matter what. CHDK only has preliminary support for Digic 7 (G7 X mk2 and M100) and no support for Digic 8.

A lot of other cameras would be an upgrade form the A4000s that you're running now, but most of them are even older.

Wow this is thread hijacking, sorry dolomiti_timelapse, you are doing wonderful work...
I can split it if it gets out of hand :)

« Reply #6 on: 29 / September / 2021, 19:06:56 »
Oh I didn't realize that the M200 was that much different. Yeah I noticed it had Digic8, but ... if you say that CHDK will likely never support it, it means that - as most Canon cameras including the cheaper ones will shift to newer versions of the hardware, CHDK will never work on newer models?  :'(

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 30 / September / 2021, 00:21:24 »
Oh I didn't realize that the M200 was that much different. Yeah I noticed it had Digic8, but ... if you say that CHDK will likely never support it, it means that - as most Canon cameras including the cheaper ones will shift to newer versions of the hardware, CHDK will never work on newer models? 
Yes, it's likely Digic 7 will be the last generation supported by the current CHDK codebase. See https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13530.0 for some explanation.

Not a bad run, considering the same source works on cameras back 2004, and given how many Canon made, supported cameras will be in circulation for a long time.

As for cheaper cameras moving to Digic 8, you'd expect so, but Canon is barely making cheap models these days anyway. The M200 came out in 2019, and only thing resembling a P&S since is this, which conspicuously doesn't mention Digic at all.

« Reply #8 on: 30 / September / 2021, 10:16:48 »

Yes, it's likely Digic 7 will be the last generation supported by the current CHDK codebase. See https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13530.0 for some explanation.
Not a bad run, considering the same source works on cameras back 2004, and given how many Canon made, supported cameras will be in circulation for a long time.
Yeah but... wow, I did not expect that. I'll read up that thread.

As for cheaper cameras moving to Digic 8, you'd expect so, but Canon is barely making cheap models these days anyway. The M200 came out in 2019, and only thing resembling a P&S since is this, which conspicuously doesn't mention Digic at all.
Yeah I see, that kind of camera segment has been eaten up by cell phones.
The future or long-term timelapse is at this point uncertain - in five years, when CHDK supported cameras are somewhat hard to find... Maybe I should stack up right now [opening a tab on Ebay], but I don't mind a long-term way out.
My understanding is that EOS-level cameras run a different OS and the "hacked" version similar to CHDK is magic-lantern, correct? Also, even if I've been using Canon for a long time (before CHDK in the mid-2000 I was using S50 and S70, that had remote capture as part of the regular firmware and I was interfacing with libgphoto) I will have to consider if other manufacturers make it somewhat easier to interface and perform a remote capture. And maybe consider cell-phones too :(

« Reply #9 on: 30 / September / 2021, 10:30:37 »
Finally the camera has its own window with "panorama" view.
From here   :-X I see trouble with the rain running down the window.
Seems to disappear IN the roof...

oh.. The picture was quite early on, the rain cover was not installed there. But in general no rain reaches the window since the roof (of the window) stands fairly over the window.
If you want to see a sunset or sunrise of Dolomiti Val Gardena shot with CHDK visit
Instagram: dolomiti_timelapse
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEJHg--ujxLkjMrevJXh-Gw