Access to sensor cleaning action - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Access to sensor cleaning action

• 5 Replies
Access to sensor cleaning action
« on: 25 / October / 2021, 12:06:13 »
Advertisements
Does anyone know if it is possible to access/uncover initiating sensor cleaning from a Lua script. In particular an M3.

The use case is to carry out frame to frame dithering, ie quasi sensor shifting.

The assumption in my mind is that after sensor cleaning, ie sensor vibration, the sensor won’t return to its exact position, ie it will be off by a few microns, that, if I’m lucky, will be more than a sensor pixel.

I can then, hopefully, dither between images for Astro use as well as super-res processing.

Currently, my super-res script ‘only’ dithers through use of focus breathing, ie as I change focus between images, but this is lens dependent.

Cheers

Garry

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
Re: Access to sensor cleaning action
« Reply #1 on: 25 / October / 2021, 14:22:31 »
 ;)  ... Needs special condition.
Prepare M3´s Record mode menu first, then call
Code: [Select]
function clean_now(M3)
  click("menu")
    sleep(500)
  click("set")
    sleep(500)
  click("set")
    sleep(500)
  click("set")
    sleep(8000)
  click("menu")
    sleep(500)
  click("menu")
    sleep(2000)
end

for i=1,4 do
clean_now(M3)
end
« Last Edit: 26 / October / 2021, 11:15:23 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #2 on: 25 / October / 2021, 15:10:06 »
@Caefix

Yes had considered that approach and will look at that if there is no hope of a more direct access, which I fear will be the case.

So thanks for the response.

« Reply #3 on: 26 / October / 2021, 02:08:48 »
Just a quick update that I think this idea may be a dead end, sadly.

First, You need to manually ensure the Canon menu is on the auto clean setting, before running the script. It is no good being on the clean now setting, as after cleaning the sub menu always opens on the auto setting, ie you need to click move to clean now. This is not a killer issue for me.

Second, repeatedly clicking clean now, not only results in the sensor clean sub menu item defaulting to auto each time, requiring a click move to get to the do now state, it also takes a long time for the Canon side to re-enable the clean now setting, some 12-15 seconds, which could be the main killer of the idea, ie 16 images, say, taking an extra 3-4 minutes to capture  :(

Nevertheless, I’ll likely still code it up and test it for fun, and reserve judgement as to whether I include it in my published M3 landscape bracketing script. It may have a niche use.

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #4 on: 26 / October / 2021, 11:28:44 »
First, You need to manually ensure the Canon menu is on the auto clean setting, before running the script.
The last click("menu") sleep(s) timing issue is interesting.  ::)
With s=500 clean_now(M3) as a standalone script could be run repeatedly.
In a i=1,4 loop happen only 2 cleanings.
With s=2000 it cleans 4 times, sleeps 48 sec...
« Last Edit: 26 / October / 2021, 11:31:57 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #5 on: 26 / October / 2021, 11:44:01 »
@Caefix

My comment regarding manually set the Canon menu to auto clean, is just to set the camera’s state to a know point, ie for the number of clicks.

When I find the time I’ll carry out a few experiments, including looking to see if the cleaning does introduce a sensor pixel shift/dither.

I’ll report here once I’ve looked.

Cheers

Garry