Card reader that will ignore lock on SD card - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Card reader that will ignore lock on SD card

• 7 Replies
Card reader that will ignore lock on SD card
« on: 21 / January / 2022, 14:50:00 »
Advertisements
Is there an SD card reader I can buy that ignores the locked position or firmware/driver that can ignore it? I have a bunch of SD cards already so I would like to use them, I forget to move the switch but worst case scenario I will use MicroSD and just use that so the lock isn't a problem. I did not see any forum posts on this, I searched before I made this topic.

Offline Ant

Re: Card reader that will ignore lock on SD card
« Reply #1 on: 21 / January / 2022, 15:47:12 »
IMHO it's better to modify the card reader electrically or mechanically. Just choose the model of the card reader, which is easier to disassemble and then assemble again. :)
I did it at an early stage of CHDK porting...

« Reply #2 on: 22 / January / 2022, 00:23:26 »
IMHO it's better to modify the card reader electrically or mechanically. Just choose the model of the card reader, which is easier to disassemble and then assemble again. :)
I did it at an early stage of CHDK porting...
Is there a tutorial? I could not find one, I saw these topics but it isn't certain to me. https://superuser.com/questions/666588/bypass-read-only-sd-card-with-missing-lock-slider
https://superuser.com/questions/354473/is-the-lock-mechanism-on-an-sd-card-hardware-firmware-or-software-driver-os

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #3 on: 22 / January / 2022, 01:59:14 »
Is there an SD card reader I can buy that ignores the locked position or firmware/driver that can ignore it?
Almost all cheap card readers ignore card locks.
I sent you a link to the PM, where you can find a cheap reader like the one I use.

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: 22 / January / 2022, 02:45:00 »
Is there a tutorial? I could not find one

Look there

Almost all cheap card readers ignore card locks.

Hmm. All my cheap card readers(full-sized, not micro SD) that I bought in the 2000s did not ignore WP locks. Maybe now everything has changed?
« Last Edit: 22 / January / 2022, 02:57:34 by Ant »

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #5 on: 22 / January / 2022, 03:33:24 »

Hmm. All my cheap card readers(full-sized, not micro SD) that I bought in the 2000s did not ignore WP locks. Maybe now everything has changed?
If you buy something like this, you will certainly not go wrong.
There are several reasons for this, first of all it is a cheap product and any additional sensor would raise the price, the second reason is that there is no place to install the sensor, only the contacts enter the slot.

« Reply #6 on: 22 / January / 2022, 13:08:53 »
Thank you so much everyone! I will get a cheap reader, this is great!

I don't know if its on the wiki, I think it should be added if its not already there, should I make a new page or link to these forum post? I have just edited the downloads section because I did not know STICK or CHIMP existed, I think it will be helpful for new users. https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Downloads

« Reply #7 on: 25 / January / 2022, 21:14:33 »
I don't know if its on the wiki, I think it should be added if its not already there, should I make a new page or link to these forum post?
Please feel free to make a new page and link it in somewhere useful.

I have just edited the downloads section because I did not know STICK or CHIMP existed, I think it will be helpful for new users. https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Downloads
Well, STICK and CHIMP figure prominently in the Prepare Your SD Card page and elsewhere.  But adding to the Downloads page (for people who skip straight there) cerrtainly won't hurt.

Edit : now that I go back and look, it's interesting that CHIMP never made it to the CHDK User Manual and STICK only gets one obscure reference.  Still it has been more than a few years (2015) since the last major updates to that manual.
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2022, 21:20:36 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16