extending sx240 video time or ?? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

extending sx240 video time or ??

• 11 Replies
extending sx240 video time or ??
« on: 18 / February / 2022, 14:40:52 »
Advertisements
Hi,
    I've been trying to figure out how to photograph my backyard all night, without having to layout a lot of money for a video camera; and was wondering if taking pictures at intervals (automatically of course) will allow me to do this.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
..... john

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
Re: extending sx240 video time or ??
« Reply #1 on: 18 / February / 2022, 15:49:00 »
Not with 30fps... Calculate 15-30 seconds per image...
OR ~100$ / night for illumination.  :D
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #2 on: 18 / February / 2022, 18:40:18 »
What about using an intervalometer script?
..... john
"All lifetime is a loan from eternity." Yes, I like it.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 18 / February / 2022, 22:45:02 »
What about using an intervalometer script?
What do you want to capture? People? Animals? Landscape?

You can certainly use an intervalometer script to capture images periodically. Unless there is significant artificial light, your exposure will be long enough that moving subjects are heavily blurred, and perhaps not identifiable at all.

To run all night, you'll also need an external power supply.

If you want to capture moving things, and have motion triggered lighting, CHDK motion detection should work quite well.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 18 / February / 2022, 23:11:05 »
I want to capture animals. Actually I don't want to capture them, as much as see which ones are coming 'round.
 I'm not sure if this camera can be used with an external power supply. I have one those external battery chargers. That might work.
Right, I hadn't thought about the blurring with long exposures. That might be the killer.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 19 / February / 2022, 01:03:34 »
I want to capture animals. Actually I don't want to capture them, as much as see which ones are coming 'round.
Well yes, I meant capture in images ;)
I'm not sure if this camera can be used with an external power supply. I have one those external battery chargers. That might work.
Most Canon P&S can only be powered by a Canon specific adapter, which either uses a dummy battery or a dedicated plug. If you look on Canon's website for your specific model, it will tell you the compatible adapter, and you can then find cheap knockoffs on Amazon etc. if you want.

USB chargers / powerbanks will almost certainly not work. Recent cams with a micro-USB port can charge over USB, but generally only in playback mode.

Right, I hadn't thought about the blurring with long exposures. That might be the killer.
Yes, most wildlife camera traps and security cams have an IR light for night. P&S cams have an IR filter, so you can't use this approach without modification (a few on the forum have removed the IR filter, but it's definitely not trivial.)

You can easily do test a few shots using yourself a subject at various ISO and shutter settings.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 19 / February / 2022, 12:15:02 »
Hi reyalp,
         Thanks for your help. I'll have a look for the power adapter. I might be able to get by without extra lighting on a bright night (with lots of snow, which is normal here).
       Yes, I've tried removing the IR block filter on a few cameras, with varying degrees of success. You're right, for sure, it can be VERY difficult.
      Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 'capture' meant 'capture' :-[ .
..... john
« Last Edit: 21 / February / 2022, 10:09:03 by shinnen »

Offline Davo

« Reply #7 on: 21 / February / 2022, 08:23:30 »
I use my SX230 for all night animal captures. I power it with a USB power bank, dummy battery and a USB power cable between the camera and the power bank. The power cable can also work with my SX530. Captures are triggered by an infra red sensor that plugs into the camera USB port and it is powered by a separate USB power bank. Flash deployed means it can work in total darkness.

Offline Davo

« Reply #8 on: 21 / February / 2022, 10:11:13 »

Below is a link to the IR sensor switch I use. It's very sensitive as even a small bird will trigger the camera. One point to note is that it is a very low power device. Most of my USB power banks think nothing is attached and will shut down after a few minutes. I eventually found that a cheap pound store power bank does not have auto-off and will power the sensor all night long. Obviously, you need to set up your camera for USB remote shutter operation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FL3R4HL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Reply #9 on: 21 / February / 2022, 10:13:16 »
Hi Davo,
     Would you mind drawing me a rough schematic of your setup, so that I can get a better idea? How do your pictures turn out?
   Thanks,
........ john