SX730 HS reports SD card locked and CHDK won't load - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

SX730 HS reports SD card locked and CHDK won't load

• 8 Replies
SX730 HS reports SD card locked and CHDK won't load
« on: 22 / July / 2022, 21:43:34 »
Advertisements
Subject says it all. I did this once before as a proof of concept with a much older powershot (the camera sucked, some kind of malfunction). Stick and Chimp didn't work for me before, and haven't this time either. Chimp can't find the card in the camera, and Stick says it is waiting for permission to analyze the USB.  Last time was format, copy the CHDK files over to the card, and let the camera boot from the card that is write protected. I have tried everything that I know of. Nothing works. The attached image is the kind of thing I do, and the SX730 would expand those horizons

What am I missing?

Offline reyalp

Re: SX730 HS reports SD card locked and CHDK won't load
« Reply #1 on: 22 / July / 2022, 23:48:18 »
Chimp can't find the card in the camera, and Stick says it is waiting for permission to analyze the USB.
Not sure if you meant it that way, but stick and chimp require the card in a card reader, not the camera.
Last time was format, copy the CHDK files over to the card, and let the camera boot from the card that is write protected.
If your card is formatted FAT32, you should be able just copy the files with a card reader, load CHDK with the "firmware update" method and make the card bootable from there. By default, cards larger than 32 GB are formatted exFAT, which cannot be used to boot these cameras. While it is possible to format larger cards FAT32, windows makes it painful and spending a few buck on 32 GB card may be the better solution.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / July / 2022, 15:44:14 »
Not sure if you meant it that way, but stick and chimp require the card in a card reader, not the camera.
Card is in the reader ... Chimp gives me "unsupported model" listing the firmware as 1.00 rev. 5. Stick has no problem in identifying the camera and finding the CHDK version ... 100E ... goes as far as wanting to analyze the card and stops saying it needs permission before it can go any further ... card is not locked.
f your card is formatted FAT32, you should be able just copy the files with a card reader, load CHDK with the "firmware update" method and make the card bootable from there.
That is what I did the last time and hoped to do again. I have enough utilities for things like formatting FAT32. The card is 128 Gb, formatted FAT32, and works fine in this camera and a Finepix for which I wish there was a CHDK equivalent :).

Attached is what EOSCard shows.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 23 / July / 2022, 16:12:55 »
Card is in the reader ... Chimp gives me "unsupported model" listing the firmware as 1.00 rev. 5.
SX730 100e is in the autobuild, so I'm not sure why chimp says that.
Stick has no problem in identifying the camera and finding the CHDK version ... 100E ... goes as far as wanting to analyze the card and stops saying it needs permission before it can go any further ... card is not locked.
I don't use stick, but that sounds like a need to run as admin type issue.

That is what I did the last time and hoped to do again. I have enough utilities for things like formatting FAT32. The card is 128 Gb, formatted FAT32, and works fine in this camera and a Finepix for which I wish there was a CHDK equivalent :).
I'm not clear what part is not working then? Are you not able to load CHDK with the "firm update" option, or does the "make bootable" option not work after doing that?

FWIW, you should also be able to use EOSCard to make bootable, by clicking the CHDK icon

« Reply #4 on: 23 / July / 2022, 20:53:51 »
SX730 100e is in the autobuild, so I'm not sure why chimp says that.
I am used to being the "Murphy" that tests everything :).
I don't use stick, but that sounds like a need to run as admin type issue.
I am the admin, run as the admin, elevated via the Stick VBS script, I may give PowerShell as admin a shot.
I'm not clear what part is not working then? Are you not able to load CHDK with the "firm update" option, or does the "make bootable" option not work after doing that?

FWIW, you should also be able to use EOSCard to make bootable, by clicking the CHDK icon
Loading as firm update, I assume you mean the camera booting?  And I did click on the CHDK icon. I also tested EOSCard with a 32 Gb card from another camera, still no go.

I am used to stuff like this, and my system may to blame too. I am running Win 11 on a computer that technically won't support it, I migrated the SSD :).

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 23 / July / 2022, 23:46:43 »
Loading as firm update, I assume you mean the camera booting?
No, I mean starting CHDK manually using the Firmware update method.

Start the camera using the play button, with the CHDK files on the card. Choose firmware update from the canon menu. The "update"  will boot into CHDK (without touching the actual firmware), from where you should be able to make the card bootable.

« Reply #6 on: 24 / July / 2022, 15:16:14 »
I knew that was the right question to ask. I never found a firmware update in the camera's menus and the Canon sight has no downloadable firmware updates.

And now, the weird part: CHDK just loaded. Looking at the menu right now. I saw a red flash of the logo on the screen, camera booted into view/playback, paused a few seconds and bingo, the menu is there. Don't ask me how. This card has ben formatted, wiped, reformatted again I don't know how many times now ... Running with this now. Thanks for your patience.

Attached is a pic from the camera itself. This is why I wanted more control :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 24 / July / 2022, 18:20:08 »
I knew that was the right question to ask. I never found a firmware update in the camera's menus and the Canon sight has no downloadable firmware updates.
FWIW, in case you need it in the future, the "Firm Update" option appears when there is a file ending in .FI2 in the root of the SD card. It's at the bottom of the main Canon menu in playback mode. Note it will not appear if you start the camera in shooting mode and then switch to playback, you must start the camera with the playback button.

Attached is a pic from the camera itself. This is why I wanted more control :)
That's good already, for a camera like this.

« Reply #8 on: 03 / August / 2022, 10:23:22 »
Here is a sample of what I am aiming for. I still have figure out the best manual focus setting, but this is a good start. This is the Andromeda galaxy, 7 x 1 minute exposures at 1600 ASA, manually stacked. The camera was piggybacked on my telescope. I am on my way now :). Thanks again for your help.