Future of P&S Cameras... - General Chat - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Poll

With nearly no new cameras announced/manufactured in the last few years, what is the future?

P&S Is dead, and seariousley, who needs them? my phone is doing a better job.
What a shame. We need for P&S devices (why?).
Come on, lets do it, they are stopping to make them, we will have to do it ourselves...

Future of P&S Cameras...

• 9 Replies
Future of P&S Cameras...
« on: 09 / November / 2022, 05:14:43 »
Advertisements
Wondering what everyone is thinking,

Are P&S cameras a thing of the past?
Do you think we still need them?
How far would you go saying there is a need still?

Offline December172

• A student interested in the Canon P&S hack
Re: Future of P&S Cameras...
« Reply #1 on: 09 / November / 2022, 09:21:48 »
Hm ;) This is really a question.Nowadays people use smart phone for daily shooting,because they have some interesting features like using AI to fair their faces or add some interesting text on the photo.These features the Canon P&S don't have(or not powerful like phone),and even won't be developed in future camera.This is one reason that Canon's (or other companies') compact camera don't sell well these days,people use smart phone instead of camera :(.Also,people thinks that the camera can only shoot,not many people knows CHDK.So that's why they didn't release compact cameras in few years.(AFAIK,my IXUS 175 is the last one or two that Canon released in the past years)
But the DSLR's  situation is quite different from the compact camera;The main reason is that they're more expensive,and they have more professional features that the smart phones can't replace it's position.So other companies would set to releasing more DSLR as their goal.However,not all people is professor,and smart phones are still used widely to capture the photos.
But for me,I think the compact cameras still have a place for certain people.So I won't think it's dead(though many people think so ;)).Let's do a new one by ourselves(maybe call the system 'CHDK-OS', 8))
Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 (IXUS 175).
(Seems most of you are older than me.... Anyone teen? )

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #2 on: 09 / November / 2022, 10:37:29 »
 :D I never had a mobile or " :-X smartphone".
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 09 / November / 2022, 14:57:11 »
Are P&S cameras a thing of the past?
No. Virtually everyone who wants to take pictures has a decent P&S built right into their phone ;)
Do you think we still need them?
No. Humans have lived without cameras for over 99.99% of our history. Now a good acheulean hand axe on the other hand… ;)

OK, less snarky response:
IMO, the P&S is essentially dead as a consumer product. We can see this in Canon's lineup, their most recent traditional P&S was the G1x mk3 in 2019, followed only by the oddball PowerShot Zoom in 2020 which notably tried (and AFAIK did not particularly succeed) to add relevance by being a monocular as much as a camera.

There is probably still some market for higher end fixed lens cameras, but it's small and getting smaller. Smartphone cameras are good, continue to get better, and smartphone companies have vastly greater resources than camera companies. Other niche uses are largely covered by action cams and things like the raspberry pi cameras.

There are of course still millions of P&S in circulation, and people will continue to use them for many years to come.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline December172

« Reply #4 on: 09 / November / 2022, 18:38:49 »
@reyalp
So,all of cameras will be dead in future?People uses smart phones,no one uses camera except some photographer...Sounds bad ;)

« Reply #5 on: 10 / November / 2022, 00:32:32 »
@reyalp
So,all of cameras will be dead in future?People uses smart phones,no one uses camera except some photographer...Sounds bad ;)
And why would that sound bad? 

In the end, it's all about taking great photos.  Cellphone cameras can now do that.  It once again comes down to the eye of the photographer not the kind of equipment. 

And as someone once said back in the era of 35mm film cameras, the best camera is the one you have with you when the perfect image appears.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline December172

« Reply #6 on: 10 / November / 2022, 01:07:43 »
And why would that sound bad? 

In the end, it's all about taking great photos.  Cellphone cameras can now do that.  It once again comes down to the eye of the photographer not the kind of equipment. 

And as someone once said back in the era of 35mm film cameras, the best camera is the one you have with you when the perfect image appears.

Hm.. ;)I meant the compact cameras'(and DSLR's?) use scenarios not wider than before,like the old 35mm cameras.However we know it's good,but not many people use it...
Anyway,I agreed with your opinion:Best photos comes from the best photographer.

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #8 on: 07 / December / 2023, 02:06:56 »
⛅ ❄ :o
This is a very outdated article from 2019.
To be honest, today's even the cheapest smartphone models have better post-processing and better sensors than P&S cameras.

Offline RaduP

« Reply #9 on: 10 / December / 2023, 19:23:07 »
If photography is your hobby, the cellphone is not good enough so you need a higher end camera, like a mirrorless and probably a compact zoom camera.
Very few cellphones have high zoom cameras (10x is the most I think) and those phones cost a lot of money and take so and so pictures with their zoom cameras.

For most people though the phone is good enough.

BTW, with Google Camera on my Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro (which is 4 years old) I can take landscape photos that are almost as good as those of my Canon M3 with the kit lens. And at night it takes much better photos.