Canon G5X - ALT button not working - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Canon G5X - ALT button not working

• 3 Replies
Canon G5X - ALT button not working
« on: 28 / January / 2023, 03:43:43 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I just installed CHDK on my Canon G5X. When powering on, the splash screen loads and I enter playback mode. The wiki here says the default ALT button is CONNECT, but instead of ALT, it just loads the wifi options. I've tried all the other buttons on the camera and none seem to be working as ALT.

If I enter shooting mode, I do have the default CHDK overlays, so I believe everything is working except the ALT button. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking maybe I could try and remap the ALT button in a config file as a work around. Not sure what file I would have to modify to do so, but any help would be much appreciated.

Offline reyalp

Re: Canon G5X - ALT button not working
« Reply #1 on: 28 / January / 2023, 14:53:05 »
Hi,

I just installed CHDK on my Canon G5X. When powering on, the splash screen loads and I enter playback mode. The wiki here says the default ALT button is CONNECT, but instead of ALT, it just loads the wifi options. I've tried all the other buttons on the camera and none seem to be working as ALT.
The possible alt buttons on this cam are Wifi (AKA connect), Video, Display, and Playback

Note Wifi is the button on the side of the camera below the USB and HDMI ports, NOT the Up key on the dpad, which also has a wifi icon.

If the default isn't actually Wifi, I'd guess Playback is most likely.

Whichever one it is, you need to click the button to access CHDK. If you hold for ~1/2 second or more, you should get the original function.

I was thinking maybe I could try and remap the ALT button in a config file as a work around. Not sure what file I would have to modify to do so, but any help would be much appreciated.
If none of the keys work, something is very broken. CHDK should reset to a valid key if what's in the config isn't valid. You can reset the config by deleting the .CFG files from the CHDK directory. You cannot trivially edit the CFG (there's a tool somewhere that allows editing them, but I have no idea if it's up to date).

If the default alt key on a fresh config isn't actually connect, please let us know, so we can fix the port or documentation.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 28 / January / 2023, 15:48:32 »
Note Wifi is the button on the side of the camera below the USB and HDMI ports, NOT the Up key on the dpad, which also has a wifi icon.

Man, I'm a dope. I didn't even know that button existed. I've never used any wireless options on this camera and that button is almost camouflaged. I was mistaking it for the up key on the keypad with the wifi icon just like you said. Thanks for clearing this up.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 28 / January / 2023, 16:44:54 »
I've never used any wireless options on this camera and that button is almost camouflaged. I was mistaking it for the up key on the keypad with the wifi icon just like you said. Thanks for clearing this up.
Hah, it is confusing. I updated the wiki and camera notes to clarify.
Don't forget what the H stands for.